You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Items :: Reflection In The Mirror

Real Ghost Stories

Reflection In The Mirror

 

This happened to me regularly.

I saw the evil side of me in the reflection. This happened when I was 10.

Reading ghost stories is my favorite pastime. I always read with my friend, let just call her "E." She is always brave and fearless, believing that ghosts do not exist. Well, I'm superstitious. So I believe ghosts exist.

I always spooked out after reading the books. I was sensitive to the surroundings, thinking ghosts might be around me trying the harm me. One time, I watched YouTube. I saw the recommended list and the title goes,"Don't look back." Majority of you might knows this, I was interested to watch.

It was a story about a woman seeing her reflection, saw a dead person at her back. She turned back to look. After watching it, I regretted watching it, feeling so terrified like having a feeling that will happened to me.

When I was showering, I was at the side of the mirror. Once caught my eyes, I saw a hair in the mirror, I was not near the mirror?! I thought that It was just an hallucination. This happened regularly.

I did some research about the "Fear of mirror." They mentioned that it is a phobia called "Spectrophobia." I didn't want to mention this to my mother. It's an undue anxiety. Not sure if I had that.

Based on the research, it has something to do with the reflection side of the mirror. Could possibly have a story behind it. Or how they died?

I was so terrified, like I decided to tell my mom about this. Seriously, I had enough.

"Nonsense!" she uttered. She thinks that I was thinking too much and need a rest. I guess that's true. So I'm not sure... Perhaps I'm just hallucinating?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Singapore

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, fairseren, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

DarriuxDarkk (6 stories) (79 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-26)
I'm just going to share some of the most popular beliefs regarding mirrors and spirits. Some culture believe that Mirrors tend to be a gateway to the spirit world. That is why in some houses who believe on fengshui or superstitions regarding mirrors, they tend to position them on specific areas of the house and sometimes explicitly avoiding putting them on some areas to avoid bad omens or bad luck.

Based on my own experience, I think it isn't about mirrors alone because there times that on some houses or places I don't feel anything negative vibes on it but yeah there are certain mirrors on odd places that definitely gives me the creeps.

Thanks and God Bless.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-11-26)
I am not sure whether a belief in the existence of ghosts is rooted in superstition as you have hinted. In any case, perhaps your mother said what she said because she wants to allay your fears without focusing on the accuracy of what you have been experiencing. I see nothing wrong with your mom trying to put your mind at ease - even if it was a bit heavy-handed.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-24)
Hi fairseren,

A long time ago my mother told me a story about something that happened to her in 1968. She said that she was trying to sleep while she was staying at her aunt's house. While she was laying there her dead uncle was looking at her through the mirror accompanied by the scent of flowers.

I believed this story when I was a little girl but now I know quite a bit about sleep phenomena and I think it's more likely that she was having this episode because her uncle had just recently died in that house.

There's no way of knowing for sure but, thanks to her story and the awesome power of suggestion, I have lived my life since with a fear of having a mirror anywhere near my bed.

I am with the others who commented in that I believe that this fear is something you can overcome with either therapy or the support of your loved ones.

It doesn't matter where you are in the world: You have the power to protect yourself from whatever you're afraid of.

Thank you for sharing your story, Maria ❤
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2019-11-23)
Hi fairseren,

Growing up in Singapore, I remember a few beliefs concerning mirrors. My mother was always particular not to have a mirror facing the bed. It was to stop it reflecting your energy away and depleting your lifeforce when you sleep. That's a Feng Shui practice, based on Taoist beliefs. I personally think the idea is to avoid people giving themselves a scare should they have to get up in the night. I've been startled a few times when half-asleep by my own reflection in the mirror. I know, it wasn't a pretty sight. 😉
Https://www.thespruce.com/feng-shui-tips-for-a-mirror-facing-the-bed-1274767

Were you afraid of the mirror before you saw the movie on YouTube? If it was only AFTER you watched it that you began to feel afraid, then it's likely the power of suggestion planted the fear into you. If you do not give in to fear or let it rule your life, it can be overcome. Years ago, when my younger sister was renting, the mirror in her bedroom spooked her so she put a sheet over it. That was all she needed to make her feel better.

This incident with the bathroom mirror happened when you were ten. I assume you are at least thirteen now, which is the minimum age to be on YGS. If you are still affected by that incident, might I suggest that you do some self-cleansing to clear your heart, mind and spirit of negative energies and thoughts that fill you with fear. Keeping our minds and spirits cleansed and positive is as important as the food we put in our bodies. Perhaps limit those scary stories before bedtime for a while?

"This happened to me regularly. I saw the evil side of me in the reflection." If you're constantly feeling afraid and have continued to have such experiences, you might consider keeping a journal about them. Record if anything triggered them, what happened, the time of day, date etc. This will help you get a better understanding if anything out of the ordinary is happening or give you reassurance there is nothing to be afraid of.

My family have always been aware of the spirit world. But for the most part, spirits aren't allowed to interfere with the living. You were frightened but the thing to remind yourself is that you weren't harmed. Be at peace and best wishes to you.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-23)
I also agree that you should probably avoid spooky things if it causes anxiety. I myself never saw anything in the mirror. But, I had a coworker who shared with me a personal spooky story about a mirror that I believe was completely true. He wasn't the type to make up stories. Ever since, I tended to avoid looking in mirrors at night. Overtime, I conquered that fear. But it's something that will always be in the back of my mind.
WisconsinLady (1 stories) (52 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2019-11-23)
I have a few different types of anxiety. It is awful, and I'm sorry you are dealing with this stress. It indeed could be related to real paranormal activity, but it sounds similar to a situation that happened to me that wasn't ghost related. I read a book on different types of superstitions, and became afraid of lots of things that I wouldn't have been afraid of otherwise.

If you are still afraid of mirrors, you should ask your friend to help you with this issue. Support from friends (and family) is very, very helpful in these cases. Ask your friend to sit with you in front of a mirror for a few minutes. At first, talk about how you're feeling at that moment. Then talk about fun things. As soon as you feel less afraid (this may take 5 minutes-45 minutes). Then hang out for a little bit away from the mirror doing something fun and relaxing. Do this every couple of days until you no longer feel afraid. You can also do this on your own if a friend isn't available. It's just nicer to have support if you can. This is called exposure therapy. I'm no therapist, but I've been through fears that have needed exposure therapy before. It's terrifying at first, but the fear will eventually go way. The chemicals in your brain producing the fear will literally change from exposure therapy and you should feel better.

Seeing a real therapist is always a good idea, of course.

Thank you for sharing your story! I wish you the best! ❤
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-23)
"until you are mature enough to understand that all those things will happen to you."

I meant to say "until you are mature enough to understand that all those things do not necessarily will happen to you."
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-11-23)
Never underestimate the power of suggestion.

"When I was showering, I was at the side of the mirror. Once caught my eyes, I saw a hair in the mirror, I was not near the mirror?! I thought that It was just an hallucination. This happened regularly."

I'm having trouble understanding if you were at the side or away from the mirror.
By "a hair in the mirror", do you mean an individual hair, a strand of hair, or a full head covered by hair? Was the hair a reflection or was it stuck to the glass?

Are you still afraid of mirrors? If so, perhaps a visit to the therapist could help you overcoming that fear or any other you might have.

Do you feel all the symptoms described in the following article?:

Https://www.fearof.net/fear-of-mirrors-phobia-catoptrophobia/

If you know exposing yourself to spooky material is going to have a negative effect on your well being, perhaps the best thing to do is stop reading/watching/talking about ghosts and the paranormal until you are mature enough to understand that all those things will happen to you.

Take care.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: