You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Odd Woman Past Midnight

Real Ghost Stories

Odd Woman Past Midnight

 

Many years ago, in fact in 1990, the strangest thing happened to me...

I was driving my female friend home after we had been watching movies at my house and it was way past midnight. In fact it may have been past 1am in the morning! It was bitterly cold as it was around April and edging towards Winter in Cape Town. I drove out of Plattekloof Road in Plattekloof Glen Monte Vista and turned right onto the double carriageway (Rothschild Boulevard) that leads up to the Panorama Medi Clinic Welgelegen, Panorama, to drop my friend in Welgelegen, a few minutes away.

Way at the bottom as we turned into the road, there was a drunk coloured man staggering along the road, heading in the same direction that I was driving. About a minute later - which may have been 1 kilometre further up, there was a woman walking down the road, she had white clothing on. Nothing exceptional, just seemed to be a short sleeved shirt and a gypsy type skirt, also white. She however did not have shoes or a jersey nor handbag, although I only realised this later on. I turned and said to my friend that the drunk person was heading staight for the woman and they were going to meet and being as drunk as he was, that he would surely interfere with her!

I carried on driving thinking that I could stop if I got back and saw trouble brewing! The road has double lanes going both ways and has wide islands, the width of a car perhaps with shrubs or bushy trees planted on them, surrounded with grass.

I left her house a few minutes later after dropping her and turned back into the same road from the top - coming down just below the hospital. As I drove down again, looking out for the woman, I noticed the man and he was crossing over at an angle towards the centre, as was she! It looked like she started walking at an angle to the centre still heading down to avoid him and that he saw it and was walking at the same angle to get to her! If they both continued, they would meet at the point of triangle shape that they were walking! I thought to myself "This is exactly what I was afraid of!" However I was now on the wrong side of the road so I sped down to the bottom of the Island to the break in the road and made a U-turn to come back up on the side that they were!

I have no idea what I thought I was going to do, perhaps stop or just scare him off by another person being around, I dont't know! However, by the time I turned around and was heading up the road again, a Police Van had stopped on the other side (they must have been a little behind me before I made the U-turn). There were 2 policemen and the one was talking to the drunk man on the grass Island and the other standing near the back of the van. I assumed that the other one was with the woman, talking to her but I could not see her as she must have been behind the van! Obviously as I was no longer required, I drove to the top end of the Island and turned around again to head the way I was going, which was home.

As I reached the Police van, I looked just to see if the woman was ok and sorted out and I could not see her - in fact there was no woman in sight, not anywhere near the van, nor either side and both policemen were by the man now! I looked and looked but she was nowhere! This is a really wide open clean road and there are no houses facing the road, all the houses along the road at that point and for a long way up and down are backing onto the road, and they have 6 foot cement slabs (vibracrete as we call it) walls. As I drove away I was trying to figure it out and as I know there are one of 2 garden gates in the walls, I convinced myself that she must have just popped into one of the gates quickly! BUT in my mind I was questioning it, as it was a matter of half a minute between me seeing them and turning around. If I can explain the time frame here, I made the U-turn to drive back up to them, and it was that quick, it was like changing gears in your car - first gear, into second and into third and I was alongside where the Police van had stopped! And she was gone!

As I continued driving I was thinking about where she was and then realised that she had no shoes / back / jersey and there I was freezing in the car with the heater on! Weird! Then I started getting the creeps and thinking to myself that this is one of those situations where you look behind you and someone is sitting on the back seat, as you had rescued them! I at that stage was so terrified and my hair was standing up on the back of my neck and I was cold with sheer terror! I refused to look in my rear view mirror as I was really scared! So I leaned forward towards the steering so I could not look by accident! I had a packet on my back seat with magazines and I am so sure it was my imagination but I could swear the packet rustled! I got home, turned into my driveway, locked my car without even looking at it, I was terrified, I ran into the house, locked the door, fled down the passage and blasted into my bedroom, I literally flicked the light off as I leapt right onto my bed almost from the door and just lay there, heart beating like a drum! Too terrified to open my eyes or speak!

I went back the next day to prove to myself what she must have popped into a gate along one of the back walls... To my sheer horror to find that in that immediate area, there were no gates! It is 21 years later and the road has changed a little bit but those walls without gates and the island are still there and I still to this day look and look when I drive down that bit of road and I still have my hair stand on end when I tell this story!

I have googled to see if I can find anything on this to no avail, and would love to know if anybody knows anything about this or has experienced something on this road!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DianeS, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-01)
DianeS,
I see no new comments have been left on this story, which saddens me somewhat. I had hoped to hear more about these two characters you brought to life for this account. Oh well, maybe next time. I'll check back later.

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-13)
DianeS,
A residual haunting is like something recorded on video tape that just keeps replaying over and over. It doesn't stop and answer questions or change the things it does. It just replays the same actions over and over. Like a memory caught in time.
An intelligent haunting is an actual spirit that comes around and does things in order to get attention. Sometimes it wants to relay a message some times it just is angry at the world. Who knows?
Does that help at all?

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-13)
DianeS and Nordic,
This is great! I've always been interested in tracking these sightings to their core beginnings. If you two can somehow get more information on this woman it would make a great part 2 to this story, and we always love to get those. I'm going to keep up with this one for sure!
Gizzy (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-13)
Hey DianeS,
Great story I really enjoyed it. To answer your question of taz and javeline a residual haunting is a spirit replaying a time or part of their life with no interaction with bystanders kind of like watching a film clip. An intelligent haunting is a spirit that interacts with bystanders so it may look or speak with you. Hope this helps keep posting updates this has me intrigued. 😊 Gizzy
Nordic (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-13)
Good idea. It's perhaps not fair to simply make the assumption, but with the hospital being there and that road being one of the premier "racing tracks" in the Northern Suburbs, there might be quite a bit of activity.
DianeS (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-13)
[at] Nordic! Great speaking to someone who knows the road! If you drive up from the edge of Monte Vista - where Delmar is at the top of the road on the right and College at the top on your left, there is grassed field / park that comes up on your left... It was past past that, before the petrol station on your right...! I am busy writing to the editor of the Tygerburger to see if anyone knows anything else! Weird hey - same area - same clothes! Maybe she is resident in the area!
Nordic (44 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-13)
Very interesting story. How far from the bottom of the hospital did you last see her? Had she already passed the bottom of the Delmar Centre, assuming that she was going down Rothchild? But I guess that she wouldn't have gone into the centre, as you indicated that she was moving towards the centre island.

You asked whether somebody else have had a similar experience. I had one not far from there, also with a lady in a white skirt who just did a disappearing act. As you know the area, you would be familiar with Giel Basson Drive, Frans Conradie Drive and the Parow golf course. Opposite to the golf course are the welfare flats -- Duiwehokke -- as we call them. Now, there's a traffic light where you can only turn left if you are travelling towards Giel Basson. Turning left will take you into Parow. If you just go over the traffic light, you get to a t-junction with Giel Basson.

As a student, which I would estimate at about 10-12 years ago, I had to stop one night, around the same time as your story took place, at the Duiwehokke traffic light. As I slowed towards the red light, a woman dressed in -- and I know this is a cliche -- a white shirt and skirt moved from the golf course, which was on my right hand side, across the road. I watched her, as I couldn't quite understand what a woman would be doing on foot alone that time of night in that part of town.

I thought that she might be headed for the flats and, as I looked in my rearview mirror to see whether she made it safely across the road, there was no-one there. Now, I passed her on my way towards the traffic light and had to wait for it to turn green. She would have had time to pass me if she intended to keep walking in the direction that I was driving. Otherwise, she would have crossed the road and gone to my left towards the flats. No-one there, and I checked.

So, I guess this happened about 5km from where you saw your lady. 😊
DianeS (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-13)
[at] Brier - Definately not waiting in the police car... That as was the last place I looked in any event such a short time had passed between me seing the van and passing it after I turned around - It was sort almost just a minute... You know what I am going to go measure the distances as that spot of road and will post - I wonder if I can post pics?

Javelin and Taz890 - being new to this site - please explain Residual and intelligent haunting to me? And just to explain a little more... This is quite an affluent area so the drunk man was more like a vagrant than anything. But Javelina - having a new take on the incident, maybe he had something to do? Perhaps they were both ghosts? 😕ie Maybe he stumbled in the road and she was killed in the accident or something? Maybe she was walking to him? Maybe he was real and saw her like I did and was frightened - and was not walking towards her but walking away from her?! It is rather fascinating! I am going to try to find out more! Will post! I now wish I had stopped at the police van. She was definately not in it! I looked as I was looking for her! I drove past the spot this weekend and again confirmed that there are no gates there still to this day!
Brier (2 stories) (54 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-12)
I gotta say, I'm a bit confused. Is it possible the woman was waiting in a police car?
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-12)
DianeS interesting story thanks for sharing.
I did think residual at first but then with the drunk guy walking towards her and crossing the road too as though following the way she was going I'm not sure it is residual.
Then along came javelina and threw more in to think about! Thanks jav 😆
Anyway great story enjoyed it alot
Carl
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-12)
DianeS,
Great story! I always like trying to figure these out. Was this a residual or intelligent haunting?
I'm really torn on this one. It could go either way, depending on the background of the two people you saw on the road that night. As a residual haunting, which most would say this is, the woman could be replaying out the scene of her demise, like a recorded event, because of the traumatic nature of it, assuming of course, that she had met her end on that roadway some time in the past.
However, it almost seems that these two were aware of each other and were making moves to either meet or avoid the other. You, as an observer to these actions, made the assumption that she was crossing to avoid him, as he was drunk and stumbling toward her. What if you are mistaken? Try it this way for a moment...
I am thinking that he may have been crossing to the other side to avoid meeting up with her. She being the spirit, he being her target of interest. Let me see if I can take this scenario a different direction, just hang with me here.
The man you saw drunk and stumbling, headed up that road on foot, in the freezing night weather. The woman, further up the road, heading toward him. This makes me wonder about the possible relationship they have to each other, and if it was her haunting him. Was there a reason for his drunkenness? Why was he trying to avoid her? And why was she after him? Could he have had something to do with her death on that road? Is that why he was crossing? To avoid her maybe?
It's a puzzler, that's for sure. I wonder if you could find out if there had been someone killed there from being hit by a car that long ago? It would be interesting to find out. Is there any way you could check that?
Please let me know what you think.

Jav
23_Chantelle_23 (84 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-11)
Interesting read... Surely can't have been a lone woman walking aimlessly with no shoes in such cold! If its still unexplainable it must have been a ghost 😨 and I'm sure Somebody has something helpful in regards to this road, maybe an accident? At some stage on the road.
Spooky!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: