You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Midnight Chat

Real Ghost Stories

A Midnight Chat

 

This incident happened to me in the winter of 2010. I was staying in Pune. Our house was near military college grounds. It was a beautiful location with lots of greenery around. The family of our land lord stayed on ground floor and the first floor was rented out to me. I had been staying with them for 4 years so was almost a part of their family.

I had just married and was settling in with my wife. I worked a night shift from 5:30pm to 2:30 am. But because of my landlords was not worried about my wife.

I had not encountered anything for 4 years so this incident shook me. Everyday my cab would drop me at the road and leave. I had to walk around 500 m to my house. It used to be 4:00 am by the time I reached home. I used to see an old man walking his dog sometimes. I chatted with him occasionally and found that his name was Harinder Deva (changed) and he was a retired military officer living at the other side of camp.

One day my cab dropped me. It was very cold that day and I was hurrying home. I saw Mr. Deva coming from opposite side. I greeted him as usual and walked ahead to my house. I was about to open the door with my latch key and saw the light in the living room. I opened the door and saw my wife standing at the window utterly terrified and soaked in sweat. She ran to me and started crying. I somehow consoled her and after some time she started narrating what happened.

She told me that she used to feel lonely sometimes at night and would come to living room to watch TV and stand at our window which faced the road. She told me she saw a man walking his dog daily but never saw where he came from and he would take a turn at the round about and then just before the temple on that road he would vanish. She ignored this earlier thinking it as trick of light, but today she saw me talking to the person and when I moved to our house that man stopped and kept on staring at my back. Then as if sensing someone observing him, he suddenly looked at my wife and vanished on the spot. At the same time I opened the door.

I was scared as hell after realizing who I was taking to.

My wife was down with fever next day. I too stayed at home for couple of days. I tried to find out about Mr. Deva but found that the houses on the other side of the camp were empty. No one knew any person by that name.

After that I would request our driver to wait until I reached our house and then leave. But fortunately, I did not meet Mr. Deva after that day.

My wife and I did have quite a few paranormal incidents after that while we stayed there. I will post them eventually.

Other hauntings by nacpat88

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, nacpat88, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

nacpat88 (3 stories) (10 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-01-24)
Hello Sleeping with Steve,

It is almost 13 years past that incidents. We moved out of that house some days after the incidents. I have had her horoscope inspected from a learned man. She was born at a certain planetary alignment and with some marks on her body, which enables her to sense paranormal things. She is fine now.
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
+2
1 year ago (2023-01-23)
Hello NatPat88,

Thanks for your reply. It seems to be a common reaction to sightings as per other YGS members telling us of their experiences.

I hope your wife is feeling better now.

Best wishes,
SWS
nacpat88 (3 stories) (10 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-01-22)
Hello Sleeping with Steve,

I am not offended with your questions. She had been through many spooky experiences just prior to this incident. Please read my other story for that. It might be that after the trauma of the earlier experience as well as seeing something happening to a loved one might have pushed her to the edge. The fever might have been her body's reaction to the stress due to the traumatic period she went through.
We can only speculate.
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
+2
1 year ago (2023-01-21)
Hello NatPat88,

Indian climate is so different to what it is here in Australia. Your Monsoon: July-September is so changeable and fluctuates from Wet, hot and humid frequently. Do you think your wife came down with a fever due to the change in weather?

I don't mean any disrespect asking this. It's a common side effect after a paranormal sighting to have a fever afterwards apparently. Many people write about this. I'm just curious.
Once again, I don't mean any disrespect.

Thank you for telling us about your experience. I feel like your sighting was of a lost soul. May the man RIP.
nacpat88 (3 stories) (10 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-01-20)
Thanks for reading my post and sharing your comments
[at] lady-glow the man always wore dhoti and a sweater same one. I had conversation with him once or twice else it would usually be greetings.
Rajine (14 stories) (771 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-01-17)
Hi nacpat88

That would be unnerving for anyone to witness, but from your story I don't think Harinder meant any harm, especially since you have encountered him numerous times in the past, what I find interesting is that when your wife used to observe him, he would vanish just before the temple nearby.
matrix899 (1 stories) (67 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-01-17)
The_Lost_Voyage_11,

I have read stories where people have met acquaintances on the street, have a conversation and even a handshake, then later realize the person had passed away some time ago.

So, this probably does occur. Most people are not very observant, so if there is someone unusual in the street, they will probably not be noticed.

I am also told that not everyone can see a ghost, only certain people can. Obviously, I do not know how true this is.

I have noticed from reading stories here on YGS that some people have many ghost sightings, while we all know that the majority have never had such an experience.

Food for thought.
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (238 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2023-01-17)
Hello nacpat88, fascinating, albeit creepy encounter. Thanks for sharing!

Your story reminds me of a thought I've pondered many times before and voiced as well. How many of us in our daily lives encounter ghosts without realizing it? I don't just mean on lonely isolated roads in the dead of night, but on a busy city street, or in a store. Because ghosts can appear to be very 3 dimensional, and not always vague shapes or see through, it's highly likely many more people have run into ghosts and not even realized it? Most aren't even exposed to the truth of it as you and your wife were.

Definitely something to think about. Thanks again!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+4
1 year ago (2023-01-17)
Welcome to YGS.

This is very interesting.
Do you remember if the man was always wearing the same clothes? Were his clothes dated? Did you hold long conversations with him?

I'm inclined to think that he was a departed resident of the area still following the routine he used to follow during his life in the physical plane, but not like a residual haunting.

In my opinion, he didn't mean any harm to you or your wife, and probably didn't show himself to you because, somehow, he knew that you were aware and afraid of his nature.

I'm looking forward to read more of your experiences.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: