You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Strolling Shadow

Real Ghost Stories

Strolling Shadow

 

This is going to be a rather short story, because there's just not that much to tell. It would have been better, but with the 1500 character minimum I had no choice but to add a bunch of filler.

It occurred about a month and a half ago at one in the morning. I was driving back home from my friend's house and I saw something out of the corner of my eye on the sidewalk. I was maybe a third of the way through my cigarette, and I was stopped at a three-way stop sign, so I paid whatever-it-was no more attention than just a glance.

I let another driver go in front of me (they were at the stop sign before me), and then they just slammed on their brakes forcing me to stop. I was perturbed, to say the very least. What sort of idiot just punches the breaks when there's a car behind them? Then I looked out the window back at the thing I had seen before, which was...nothing.

I saw what they were looking at: it was a shadow of a man walking on the sidewalk. The only inconsistency was that there was no one around on either side of the street who could have produced it. It was just the shadow, out for a stroll. It didn't seem to notice that two cars were stopped in the middle of town just to look at it.

Since then I've tried replicating that every time I pass by that section of town, even in the day time, but I never could.

What do you guys think about it? I've heard of Shadow People, even seen a few of them, but this... This was a little ridiculous. Have any of you folks seen anything like this before?

Other hauntings by epic_fail

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, epic_fail, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

epic_fail (5 stories) (51 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-30)
Sorry I haven't been answering your guys's comments and questions! And now there are so many that I don't know if I can answer them all in one thing.

Redphx: I'm sorry they did that to you, they deserve to be hit by a car. A small accident, though. They need to regret their stupidity in order to learn.

Brier: Keep in mind that it could also be a trick of the light or of your eyes, since it is an out-of-the-corner-of-your-eye thing.

Jav: you've met them head-on? Cool!

BadJuuJuu: I think it was, but I've never heard stories about that spot behind haunted. I live in a small town, so it would be common knowledge here.

MoonGrim: you make me giggle, lol. I upped your comment just for that.:)

Madyrina: thank you.

Johntravis28 and dragonstorm80: No, I didn't get a chance to speak with them. It only lasted a few seconds, when it went to cross the street it was gone, and so were they. They pulled into the grocery store parking lot and I just went home so I could process what I saw. I was still pissed at them for stopping so suddenly.

Trix: Haha, an ad, huh? Thanks for sharing.
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-30)
luvvvv the story... What a sighting! Would love to have seen this myself. Thanks for sharing ❤
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+5
13 years ago (2011-06-30)
Hi epic fail, I never ever heard of something like this before. This is very interesting. I wonder what the heck that was. I must say strange stuff happens in early morning hours always. I don't blame that car slamming on its brakes in a situation like that. I once slammed my brakes because I thought that I saw a huge UFO travelling over Pretoria. Cars passed me by probably thinking also what a silly jerk. When I saw this thing I just stopped out of shock and disbelieve. I felt so stupid because it turned out to be a cell phone promotion of Vodacom and they send out this big oval green balloon into the sky. They did it at night! I still laugh about it when I think about it.

Thanks for sharing. This is the most interesting experience I've read so far. It would be interesting if anyone else on this site experienced the same thing. The suit thing... I don't think anyone can buy anything like that. Imagine if something like that was on the market. Take care. Tr
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-30)
Yeah I'd like to know if you and the other driver spoke to each other after your sighting as well, very interesting story 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-30)
[at] johntravis,
Thanks for bringing that one back up, I'm laughing all over again! 😆

Jav 😊
johntravis28 (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2011-06-30)
OK Moongrim... I voted your comment up because it made me smile... But you know Predator was just a movie right? 😜

Epic_fail, that certainly is an interesting story... Did you manage to talk to the guy in the other car about what you were seeing at all?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
[at] Moongrim,
OK old friend, I was going to let this one go, but I just can't. For one, I can't stop laughing! And two, you want to tell me just where a guy on the street is going to buy a stealth suit? Unless this "Shadow person" is a government agent, I don't have a clue how it could be a guy in a stealth suit! Oh man, I'm not going to let you live this one down!

Jav
😆 😆 😆
Madyrina (68 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
Wow! Cool story. Specially since that other car confirmed the sighting too.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+7
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
Technically speaking what you've described could just as easily be someone in a stealth suit out for a walk. They'd still be casting a shadow, but anyone observing them would only see what ever light has been moved 'around' them. Think of the movie- Predator. The translucency of the alien's stealth mode would allow them to be see through, but they'd still cast a shadow.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
I kind of wonder if it was a residual, since it took no notice of you or the other driver. Interesting sighting, whatever it may have been.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
epic_fail,
Very cool. I've seen them out of the corners of my eyes and done double takes when I've met them head on, but I've never seen one out for a stroll on a sidewalk at night before. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for that from now on!

Jav
Brier (2 stories) (54 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
Well, I'm not sure if this was a shadow person, but I've seen some mysterious figure walking down a hill at just before dark. It's a "corner of your eye" kind of sighting. When I try to get a better look, the figure always disappears. I'm pretty sure I'm not, for lack of a better term, going crazy, because my mom has had this happen to her also.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-29)
How interesting. So the car in front of you saw this shadow too. I've heard of shadow people before. I don't know exactly how they bahave to know for sure that is what you saw. But from what I've been told they behave just as normal people going about their own business except they shadows.

And yes morons stop like that all the time. My sister just rear ended someone who stopped at a yellow light. I ALMOST rear ended someone because they decided to slam on their breaks at a green light, jump 3 lanes of traffic, then make a right hand turn. All the while remembering to flip me off because I almost hit him. Gosh dude, I'm sorry.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: