You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Angry Bear

Real Ghost Stories

The Angry Bear

 

Some of you may have read my story about Fred and George, the two floaty, bleedy eyeballs that would watch me from the corner of my bedroom. While that story ended several years ago, I can only boast half a year to about eight months ago for this story, so it's fairly recent, I guess.

It all started when I tried to move into my sister's bedroom. She moved out a few years before and was running her own home when my mom brought up the possibility of switching rooms. It took a while for me to warm up to the idea (I had FINALLY gotten a good darkish, royal-looking paint for the walls of my room, and had only had the color for a few years... I wanted to keep it) but I finally decided that having a larger room would be a good thing.

I was in my senior year of high school I believe, so about three years ago. Before I actually begin the telling of the tale, let me take a little time to explain the layout of the room, and the position of the room in the house where I live: my big sister's old room is the corner of the corner of the house. There was an entertainment center across the room from the door in front of one of the windows, the closet when looking in from the doorway is to the right, and the bed was smack in the middle underneath the other window on the left. There is a fan that back then would have been centered almost directly above the bed, and glow-stars on the ceiling that my sister and I put up when we shared the room.

My first night in the bedroom was EXTREMELY uncomfortable. Now, I'm not saying that the bed was too soft (which it was) or that the room was too cold (It was actually too warm for me) - no. I felt like I was being watched; stalked, even. My second night, I figured since nothing happened on the first night, it was probably my imagination, I popped in a movie, and made my dog, Big, sleep in the room with me for my own peace of mind.

Then the third night rolled around. I thought I was just being silly, but even so I turned on a movie and brought my dog in, same as the night before. The movie ran out, so I let it rewind and I popped in another. About the middle of the video midnight rolled around, and the television suddenly turns off. I was so sleepy, I thought I imagined it; I figured I'd probably slept through the second half and the click it made when it stopped rewinding itself woke me out of a doze, so I thought nothing of it and turned onto my back. Then Big began to whine in his sleep, and I hear something like, "Lantern. Lantern now!" or "Get her. Get her now!" and something began to scratch on the floor.

I was freaked. I listened to the scratching and my dog whining, and I couldn't move, even as it got closer to my bed. The right side of my bed then squished so much that I was almost rolled to that side, and then something heavy but small settled on top of me until I panicked and began bucking until I could move again. I ran to the light switch by the door and flipped on the lights, and Big was already by the door whining to get out, and we both ran for it.

I let him into my parents' room and I spent maybe two hours downstairs in the living room threatening the thing. I told it if it ever came back, if it ever tried anything like that on my loved ones, I would make it pay, and I would make it worse than sorry. I admit, that wasn't the wisest choice, but to my defense I was only doing it to make myself feel better. I still felt like it was all in my head, because honestly, I was so damn tired that it could have been a dream when it happened.

When I was feeling braver I went back up to the room and it suddenly felt so heavy in there. I was scared to crawl back into that bed, but I did it anyways. That was when I noticed that the TV in that room actually was off, but I was still in denial, and I thought I'd probably turned it off when I was half asleep. I wanted anything that would logically explain away what happened.

As soon as I was in that bed again, though, it pounced on me. I can't even explain in words how scary that was. It was so heavy that I felt like I was being crushed to death. I couldn't hear anything except for it growling, I could feel its hot breath on my face, and I could see this big black mass above me. I couldn't see even one of the glow-stars I mentioned earlier through it, and I'd left the lights on for the entire time I was downstairs. It honestly felt like it was warning me not to piss it off again.

It was maybe five minutes before the growling and the pressure ceased, and I got up immediately and slept on the couch in the living room with the TV on.

After that, the sleep paralysis happened every night, sometimes more than once, and always when I was still wide awake. After a few weeks of this, my grades began to drop because I was losing sleep, and my Algebra teacher asked me what was up (My high school algebra teacher, that is. By this time I was in college, but I still kept in touch with her). I didn't want to tell her, it actually took me a week before I told her what had happened. The next day she brought me incense to burn when I slept and white sage to purify the room with and it worked for about a month. Whenever it came back, I would sage the room, but the sage would work for shorter and shorter amounts of time, so I gave up and decided to move back into my old room.

I was finally able to sleep peacefully for a few nights, but then it started up again, like it found me. A few months after the first event happened, I had made a doll with one of my friends (she said he was kind of creepy. I think he's kind of cute.), and I had slept with that and I was amazed to find out I didn't get the paralysis when I did. It was like that little doll was protecting me.

That was when I started to see the thing. My room was at that time situated thusly: looking in from the doorway, the closet is slightly behind and to the left, my bed is pushed almost to the wall and to the left (almost because I couldn't fit it flush against the wall with the two dressers I had) and three bookcases lining the right wall. It's a very narrow but long room, about three quarters the size of my sister's.

This thing was a black mass with black tentacles all over that were always wriggling. It would suddenly melt through the wall between my sister's room and mine and through the bookcase that was closest to my window and just stand there watching me. I hated it. I got even less sleep then.

It was about a year before the thing tried to - sit? - On me again, and I think it was because I had Omi (named after a magician a story I wanted to write, but never did), the doll I made with my friend.

When it did, it was very angry. I got this overwhelming sense of, "I'VE BEEN DUPED!" It sat on me for close to an hour that time. I know that because I was facing the clock when it happened.

Then the sleep paralysis began to occur regularly once again.

My Algebra teacher took me to a, I don't know, a psychic, I guess? I had already been out of school for two years by that time, and I would stay in touch with my old teacher for various reasons, and so she took me to a psychic to see what the hell this thing was that liked sitting on me so very much.

It turns out, it was a bear - a young bear that had been hit by a car or shot and killed, and was very angry about it, she said. I was skeptical, but at this point I was willing to listen to anything to get rid of this creepy thing. She asked if there were any animal mounts in my house, and I replied with a laugh.

Okay, I live in northern Wisconsin where jobs are scarce and hunting is a great way to get food. Yes. I do have mounts in my house. About thirteen, counting everything derived from things that had been hunted and killed (not including leather jackets, but), including hides, skulls found in the woods, antlers from my family's deer (I don't hunt), feather trophies from turkeys, and up to the head mounts and full body mounts.

I got to admit, it was a little funny to me when her face turned white and she looked a little sickish after I'd listed all of the mounts we have and where they were in the house. I had to keep myself from grinning at her so that she would still help me, and even so she was looking at me like, "well, little murderess, you deserve exactly what you're getting!" Let me remind you all though, my family hunts for food. The trophies are nice too, but we want the meat to keep up through the winter. Especially that year, because my mom had just been fired.

She still gave me a solution to my problem, though, nice soul that she was: I was to go around the house, apologizing to and thanking all of the dead animals, from the skulls dad keeps in his hunting house to the bear rug in moms office that we got from my uncle around the time I moved into my sister's room. Yup. BEAR RUG.

I thought it sounded a little kooky though, so I waited maybe a week (during which time I was sat on maybe three times a night, often times accompanied with a faint growling) before I actually did it.

I waited until everyone was out of the house and went around the property apologizing to and thanking everything dead-animal related thing (even the leather jackets) for their pain and their bounty, just like the psychic told me to.

I haven't been sat on since.

I don't know how I managed to get myself free and as quickly as he came he was gone. Te strange thing this time was I fell asleep totally exhausted

Other hauntings by epic_fail

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, epic_fail, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-20)
ye see... It just goes to show, even animals have an afterlife... & we will all burn in hell for eating their flesh, & we will all be poked by a thousand devils... We will all pay a heavy price for the bacon we all eat... Why does it have to be so tasty? Mmmmmmm nummy... I feel hungry now
MoonWolf (15 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-05)
Wtheck, Redphx? I don't want to be mean, but there is something wrong with you. Did you just admit to being a serial killer? How do you think the human species survived all those years ago, by being vegetarian? (no offense to vegetarians) The author stated that they used the meat for food, not just for the pleasure of hunting. I am glad that the author apologized and thanked the animals for there uses.

OHHHH! I just read that you meant to protect yourself. What a strange way of saying that. So, I'm not sorry for my earlier comment.

And to the Epic_Fail: I'm glad you fixed that issue. Maybe you should make it a common practice to apologize and thank every hunted animal brought into your home. I just loved how you interpretted the pyschic's look into "well, little murderess, you deserve exactly what your getting!" I love your sense of humor. Thanks for sharing your experience with us!
epic_fail (5 stories) (51 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-23)
zzsgranny: Oh! Thank you for telling me that, I didn't realize.

Shlain: No, I didn't tell the psychic about Fred and George. I probably should have at least asked.
epic_fail (5 stories) (51 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-23)
redphx: I'm not admitting the 'error of my ways' as you so call it, if my error includes hunting animals and mounting their heads on my wall. I like those things. You may not, but I do. I don't appreciate your acting so high-and-mighty just because I am from a different background from you. You can try to pass it off as "oh, I'm just expressing my opinion," but really, it's not just 'expressing your opinion' when you post long rants three times, its bashing your beliefs over other peoples' heads, and its just you being belligerent and ignorant.

I'm going to ask you to stop posting on my story. You are not being useful in the least by doing what you're doing. I don't want to hear from you again, and I will not stand for your calling my culture and community and family murderers, sick, and unsavory (all words you yourself used, by the way).

We shall agree to disagree, redphx, but please stop saying that I deserved what I had gotten, and please stop saying that what my family does is wrong. You've already said it three times.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-06-23)
epic_fail: I think Shlain was asking if you asked the psychic about Fred and George
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-23)
I wasn't attacking the author because she admitted to understanding the error of her ways and thanked the animals. It was a nice life lesson. I was just expressing my point of view. Now she knows. I don't take offense to too many things so dont' worry;)
epic_fail (5 stories) (51 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-23)
Shlain: ask who about Fred and George?

Devious Angel: Thank you.

Trix: I think he was angry because he was so little when he died. He's barely bigger than I am, and I'm five-foot-five. Either way, I'm glad he's peaceful again now, too.
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-23)
Hi epic fail, I loved your story. Thanks for sharing this amazing experience. I wonder why that poor bear was so angry? Maybe he was still trapped between worlds like some human ghosts. I'm glad you helped him. Take care. Trix.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-06-23)
redphx: I highly doubt that is the way the author views it, crotch grabbing and all... Those parts of the animal would otherwise be thrown away, burned or buried anyway. I understand your point of view, but I think the degree is irrational. However, I respect your opinion and I will just agree to disagree. 😊 I hope you do not take offense, I just felt that you were attacking the author unjustly.
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-23)
*shocked face* Really?

*flippin' the middle finger to everyone who always says animals don't have spirits that can/will haunt*

Didn't you ask her about Fred & George?
epic_fail (5 stories) (51 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
Miracles51031: Valid point. Lol, I'll give it a shot, as soon as I can get a schedule for it I'm there.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
Miracles: Maybe what you don't like about him is his blood line: he's Ed and Lorraine Warren's nephew 😆 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
epic_fail - please don't not watch it because of what I think. Cosmogal watches it and so do several other people on here LOL. It could just be that tonight I'm more interested in what's going on on here than I am on the episode of Haunted Collectors. Plus, I have a migraine and nothing was really going to hold my attention anyway. (So if I'm not making any sense, more than normal anyway, at least I can blame it on the migraine LOL.)

Give the show a shot. You might like it.
epic_fail (5 stories) (51 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
Miracles51031: Oh, lol, I see! That makes me say, because it seemed so intriguing in the previews.
I had to do a google search on the buggers, too. They're so cute! ^^
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
Epic_fail - apparently the dad caught these himself. I'm not sure what they look like when they're alive. I'd have to google them 😆. I'm sure they showed them on the episode, but I truly don't remember LOL.

I guess it could be interesting. I'm just not that fond of the man. Not sure what it is about him, but he doesn't hold my attention. It's on right now and I'm pretty much not watching it at all.

Cosmogal - 😉
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
Oh Miracles, thank you so much for mentioning Haunted Collector I would have forgotten to record it. Pheew caught it just in time. 😊
epic_fail (5 stories) (51 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
Miracles51031: Is that an interesting show? I wanted to catch it when it first came out, but I didn't get off work until late.

Mako sharks are the cute ones with the bulgy eyes? Awww! *enamored of the shark* How did they get the jaws? Were they found at a garage sale or a tourist shop or something?
epic_fail (5 stories) (51 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
Lynrinth: Lol, thank you. I actually did jump to the demonic conclusion at first. And yup. All rested up again, haha.

Taz890: I guess not everyone would agree with hunting, but thanks for taking into account my own point of view, too.

Cosmogal926: Thanks. I'm pretty fortunate to have had a teacher like her to guide me through things like this. And thanks for posting!

BadJuuJuu: Thanks. Me too.:)

Jesuis88:I suppose it would explain a lot. If you think back on it, animals do have their own souls though, why shouldn't they haunt just like humans do? Being human, though, it usually takes us a while to remember something like that, lol.

HappySpirit:I know what you mean. I'm baffled that it didn't occur to me before that incident, but I really should have expressed my thanks to them. I was grateful to have the food, but I had forgotten where it came from.

Baccheagrl: lol, thanks for posting! And thanks for the compliment.:)

And I want to say thanks for sticking up for me, to those of you that did. I really appreciate it. I don't know why they're trying (operative word, right there) to bully me, but if we don't pay them any attention, they'll lose all their steam and go away.;)
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
I just recently watched an episode of Haunted Collector where they believed the jaws of Mako Sharks, which were mounted on a wall, were causing the activity in the little boy's bedroom. They removed the shark jaws, as well as a cane gun, from the home and the activity stopped.
lynrinth (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
Bravo! *clapping* I absolutely LOVED your story! You know, most people, including myself, would immediately jump to the conclusion that it was a demon. But a bear?! Wow, yeah it would make sense... When you think about for awhile. But I was glad to read that the problem was solved, and with a funny, but happy ending. And I hope you finally got caught up with your sleep.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
No because it is the way they perceive it. Like worshiping and using every piece of the animal to show respect and show that it was not wasted. That is what they used to do too.

Shooting an animal and putting it's head on the wall. Then grabing your crotch while burping saying "yep, got 'em. He sure tasted good too." Is not cool. (I highly doubt that's what they did, but that's the image I get). That is why the poster had such distressed animals in her house. She even admitted it. In my opinion very unsavory. I eat meat but I don't flaunt the fact that I kill things and put them on my wall. If carniverous animals don't do it, then I won't either.

I've never had to shoot anyone. Thank God. I like to collect guns and I have them for protection. I've had to draw my gun on someone once because they were trying to force their way into my car. I live in the middle of a crazy city and I am very small. I can't really fight a full grown drunk man.

I don't like hunting for sport. I've gotten rid of a few friends who would hang trophies. Especially the cougar that about sent me into a tizzy and I almnost did start hunting humans right then and there. LOL killnig top predators really hurts me. Like at this store there is an entire pride of stuffed lions. 😭
AnimalAngels (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
[at] omgliketottaly

I don't get why you have to be a bully. I e-mailed your ghost stories and they are deleting you as soon as possible. Have a GREAT day.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
epic_fail great story thanks for adding this 😁
Dont agree with hunting but as some say if for food then so be it
But them who say its a sport! Fine put down the gun, bow or whatever your using and do as the animals do and fight face to face!

Football is a "sport" but one side is not allowed to carry guns and stuff are they!

Ok rant over!

[at] omgliketotally your a prat! Shut up and sod off
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+5
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
Wow great story epic! It's interesting to hear of a haunting by an animal spirit for a change. I was amazed at how you came to realize the cause of your experiences and am glad that you were given the information you needed to help ease the bear's spirit. Thank you for sharing this with us.

On a side note, hunting animals has been around since the dawn of man. Cave men used to hunt animals for food, and wear their skins to keep warm. It is within people's rights today to hunt if they wish to. And just because it does not please some people doesn't mean that they are wrong for doing so.
bacchaegrl (506 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
redphx, do people attack you often? Is that too much of a personal question? I bet aliens keep all sorts of human souvenirs from their human prisoners. If there is indeed such a thing. I bet they don't eat humans, they just like to look at their dead corpses. They delight in the satisfaction that they are superior life forms to puny humans. The aliens probably believe that the highest life form gets to do what they want with the lower life forms. Who cares if they have feelings or souls? They're unevolved, stupid, ape people.

Sorry about your murdered tree. I love earth spirits, I think they are interesting. But I think they're resilent. So I wouldn't worry to much about the fae.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
redphx; ok, I was pretty sure that was what you meant, lol. I hunt paper targets, if that means anything...lol

I don't know, I guess it's a matter of perception/opinion. The Native Americans used to wear various elements of animal remains (feathers, pelts, tails, etc) as a method of worship and a symbol of respect. Are you saying that they are "sick" and "wrong" for doing that?
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
LOL. Hunting people. Meaning I use guns for protection. LMAO

And I said yes hunting for food is good. It is not ok to hunt for food and stick a head on the wall as a trophy. It's sick. What would you feel if you walked into an aliens house and he had people's stuffed heads all over the place! Oh but he was just hunting them for food so it's ok. Not really. It's wrong. If you are spiritual person it's plain wrong. That is why the psychic reacted that way.
redphx (4 stories) (827 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
sorry I came back after my rant to answer some questions.

Anyway. Yes there are tons of spirits. My mother is connected to Earth spirits. The trees, flowers, plants, basically anything that grows. I can't sense the feelings of some of these beings. Like when the gardner murdered my tree I cried and cried. It was horrible. He thought it was dead. It wasn't dead, he just was ugly and had a personality.

There are animals spirits, elementals, fae, human, nature spirits, and "other" spirits.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
redphx - the author already stated that her family hunts for food. It would be one thing if they hunted specifically for sport or trophies, but they eat what they kill. It's just that the author hadn't properly thanked and appreciated the animals for their sacrifice, but personally I don't see anything wrong with having those things in your home if it is an admiration of the beauty of that creature that fed you and gave its life to you. Hell, if a bear hunted me down and killed me, if I'm dead I surely won't really care if it keeps my skin as a rug or uses my skull as a necklace. I won't be needing it any more anyway.

And I'm curious as to what you mean about hunting for people too. That's kind of creepy if you ask me...
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-22)
The author stated that she herself does not hunt. Trophies are normally taken by the person doing the hunting.
Btw, Epic, I enjoyed this story. I'm happy that you were able to put the bear at peace.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: