You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Rundown Abandoned Farm

Real Ghost Stories

The Rundown Abandoned Farm

 

I am an Ohio State Police Patrolman and on July 23rd, 2009 was on patrol in Clark County. I was on my way to the Clark County OSP Barracks to deliver paperwork on a case that was continued from Union County.

While en route everything flashed on my unit and my car stalled; but I was able to coast to a farmhouse on this County Rd I was traveling on. I coasted my unit into the driveway and saw an elderly gentleman walking out by the barn. He looked my way but continued into the barn. I tried to get my unit started but it was completely dead.

After trying to reach dispatch on the radio with no luck, I noticed a high power pole transmission line adjacent to the property. I knew my handheld was useless, unless I got far enough away. So I opted to try to use the farmers phone since couldn't get a cell signal either.

I walked out to the barn where the old man had entered and hollered "Hello" as I was opening what appeared to be the door to the Milk Parlor. Looking in, I again hollered "Hello", a little louder than before. Not hearing anything, I turned to walk to the house to see if maybe I missed him. But as I turned around he was standing behind me which, I'll admit, startled me a little. The man had no expression on his face when he asked if I was having car trouble, to which I replied, "yes" and asked to borrow his phone. He pointed towards the house and told me we could walk there, or use the milk parlor if I wasn't going to be long because he was getting ready to milk and asked me if I wanted some water while I waited. I said yes and thanked him. I said the Parlor would suffice.

I followed him into barn and he walked out through the barn while I used his phone. I told dispatch where I was and to dispatch a wrecker and was told they would have a wrecker out in under 60 minutes. As I hung the phone up the farmer was coming out, wiping his hands on a grease rag where he said he was working on the pump motor for the milking machine.

I told him what dispatch had said, to which he said let him help push my car to the road so they will find it. I told him if it wasn't in the way they could grab it there, to which he replied, "Nay, they never look in the driveway so we best push it to the road." He told me I could set my glass on the picnic table; then to get in and steer and he would push. Since it was on a downhill slope he pushed it fairly easily.

Once on the edge of the road I sat with my cruiser until the tow truck shows. The driver gets out of the truck and is looking up at the farm all nervous and says, "We need to hurry and get out of here." I assured him all was ok.

When we arrived at the barracks garage, everyone was standing around outside. Everyone acted concerned about my well being, asked how my adventure went at the farm. I said it went fine. "Well Did you talk to the old farmer?" everyone wanted to know. I said he didn't chat very much and he helped push my unit to the street. Everyone went and looked at the patrol car, now released from the wrecker. I asked, "What's the big deal?" The wrecker driver looked at me and said, "You don't know?" I said no, so he told me that in the early 70's a farmer shot himself in the milk parlor of that old farm and nobody has lived there since mid 80's due to it being haunted. I said, "no way." an officer told me to jump in his patrol car and we'll drive out there.

Long story short, it was a rundown abandoned farm with dust and cobwebs everywhere and not a living soul anywhere. I had him pull into the driveway and there sitting on the table was my glass where he had told me to set it. I walked to the barn and the milkhouse was covered in dust, but oddly enough: the phone had fresh prints like it had been used. I picked the phone off of the cradle and no dialtone whatsoever, which really startled me and I said, "we can go now." But, he being a Paranormal Hunter on the side was full of questions.

When we arrived back at the barracks my car was repaired. It turned out the positive cable came off of the starter. And where the old man pushed my car were greasy hand prints.

I have driven back there and the house is gone. Apparently someone torched it, but to this day it still gives me the heebie jeebies.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Anequetuapa, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

WiniPu4 (207 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-31)
Hello,Anequetuapa:
I LOVE your story! It has been one of my all-time favorite ghost stories ever. I have had many paranormal experiences during my lifetime, but being former military I suppose that has prevented me from "putting it out there". Also, I don't like the negative bandwagon some responders jump on whether the stories are believable or NOT. So, thank you for having the courage that I obviously lack. I would love to read anything else you have to share.
dazram (16 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-30)
springfield ohio isn't that where the simpsons live. 😊 from dazram
angelus_crudus (3 stories) (35 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-20)
This is by far the best story I've read on this site thus far. Thanks so much for sharing!
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-15)
I love this account. It's sad to hear about him committing suicide, doubly so since it seems that even after death he is a very nice man.
Anequetuapa (1 stories) (2 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
Thanks Mrs Langley glad someone else has somewhat experienced simular activities. And thanks to huendchen,TruthInDarkness,stephyw2001 for defending (Liable) which was what I meant but hey, Giss eyem knot az smert az Nysa. But Happy Holidays to all and have safe travels and watch for me cause I'll be watching for you... Muah hahahahaha Sorry cop humor lol
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-16)
To say thanks to the farmer, get someone to go the the barn and pray for his soul to be set free.
MrsLangley (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-16)
OMG I know this place! Back when I lived in Springfield a bunch of us went to that farm at 3 am. My boyfriend at the time said that was witching hour. I can't say for us if all is true cause when a light came on in the barn we left in an extreme hurry. Man if that happened to me I'd of died of a heart attack! Wow so many memories. Thanks for sharing!
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-10-08)
Yes, there are such things as typos. Also, there are words that I (accidentally) misuse all the time. Words such as since and sense. I know their meanings quite well. It's just that my fingers aren't always in sync with my brain.
stephyw2001 (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-30)
In his defense, I know a lot of very smart people who have great jobs that can't spell words correctly to save their lives. I think that's what happened here. 😊
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-30)
I was commenting on the humor of saying he would be libel when I believe he has, in fact, published an untruth about the house. I see it was over your head. You see educated people list sources when they print things like definitions for people who misuse a word & thus obviously don't know the definition of it.
huendchen (49 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
[at] Nysa - the writer obviously meant to say "liable". We all know what libel means but I see you had to look up the definition...Fail.

This comment from Nysa is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

Anequetuapa (1 stories) (2 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-22)
Thanks for the many replies and for those that liked it I thanked him when he helped me out onto the street and yes he did look solid tho out of place if that makes sense. As far as giving it's location that I can't do because that would make me libel for trespassers but I can tell you this a lot of people can and know the story. As far as going back highly doubtful lol
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-21)
It does sound a lot like the urban legends of the "helpful vanishing ghost" but I would have found it reasonably credible except for the part about the phone call connecting. I assume you did not call 911 just to talk to dispatch that would be too irresponsible.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Well, Mr. Officer, would you be so kind as to give us the address of this confirmed and attested to paranormal happening?
After all the phone log records alone should be enough to give a person a leg up on investigating such, and the phone's source code for the calling phone...
Just in the interest of investigations, I'm sure you can understand...
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
I feel the same as DARKNESS. Great story, very well told, but just a little ify. I really did enjoy it though. Thanks for posting. 😁
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Hey Anequetuapa, thank you for sharing this story with us. I thourougly (not even sure if I spelt that right) enjoyed it.

Peace
JustCurious
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-20)
Hi Anequetuapa, I agree with all the others. This was a really nice old fashioned ghost story. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading it. Take care. Trix. ❤
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+6
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
This story is great and I have a small feeling a little to great, but hey who knows. Either way it is very well told with great detail, if this is true there must be more stories that are out there regarding this farmer, would be great to hear them also.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
BigBaby (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
Hi Guys.
This is a very good story. Perhaps too good to be true. Apologies and all due respect, but I've heard this story, with slight variations, for years.
It's a classic urban legend.
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
This is really amazing, one of the most complicated stories I've ever heard! How strange that you were able to interact with the ghost on that level. I wonder why he shot himself? Either way, he seems to be a very nice spirit, helping you like that. Really incredible.
Fanny (2 stories) (105 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
Thanks for sharing this story. Right into my favs it goes.

You hear so many stories about "bad" or "evil" ghosts that it's nice to hear about one that actually helped you.

I agree with everyone else and think you should do a little something nice for him to say thank you and to assure him that he is not forgotten. Perhaps you could adpot a portion of the road in front of his house in his name or something. Just a thought.

Best,
Fanny ❤
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-19)
What an amazing story! So good to know that some souls are willing to help in any way they can 😁

God bless ❤
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-18)
I just had to write this... This story is the classic case of a ghost story.
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-18)
This was an amazing story! I'm so glad you posted it, right to my favorites! I'm happy you found the farmer and that he helped you. I agree with Brier, I think perhaps you should do something nice to repay him for being so helpful.

The glass on the table, fingerprints on the dusty phone and greasy handprints on your car sent shivers down my arms! And you saw it all as modern day. Wow!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-18)
Anequetuapa: Great story!...I can imagine how startled you were to turn around and find him behind you, specially for someone trained to be ultra observant... The glass on the table is what gave me the heebie jeebies LOL 😆...

I wish we could get more stories from police officers, EMT, paramedics, etc...

Thank you for posting... This is really cool, and faves bound! 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-18)
Oh holy crap! I love this one! Perfect reading for a Saturday night at home, waiting for the thunder and lightening to break through the clouds. Absolutely perfect.
Thank you for sharing.

Jav
Indigo (263 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-18)
Wow! Lol I love this story! My boyfriend is a police officer in Indiana and I have to tell him this one! He's going to love it! We have some hilarious local ghost stories involving the police and the paranormal, lol. I'll try to see if they'll post some!
ngute80 (220 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-18)
I agree with Brier. The farmer took his own life so he must have been depressed or troubled in life. He is obviously still around and I think he would appreciate it. Just to let him know you appreciated his help and your thinking of him 😊
Brier (2 stories) (54 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-18)
I know this sounds odd, but I would leave flowers at the barn. Or something as a way of saying thanks to the farmer.

Very nice story. Thanks for sharing.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: