You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Locked In

Real Ghost Stories

Locked In

 

I would like to start by saying, I am not crazy, nor embellishing this story even a little. Every word is the truth. I have told very few people in my personal life about it because I am mostly a logical, practical thinker. But something triggered this memory only yesterday. It was something as simple as a stuck bathroom door.

When I was 5, my parents divorced and my mother went out into the world with 3 children, a garbage bag of clothes, and a couple bucks. I was the youngest. In that same year, my great-grandfater passed away from heart complications in his home, where my great-grandmother had also passed peacefully the year of my birth. The home, a modest sized house on 5 acres of hill, was left uninhabited and dirty. To my mother, however, it was more than wonderful. She just wanted a place to call home; we all did.

A little history on the house from what I was able to gather: it was once a two room cabin, with my bedroom and the living room being the original part. There was a back porch joining this, which had been enclosed many years later (and many years before I was even born!) and became my brothers bedroom. The kitchen and dining room were added sometime during the life of the house, and the house didn't even have indoor plumbing until my grandpa was a grown man!

So the first years there were relatively uneventful, for me anyway. The one thing that comes to mind is that I developed an almost immediate, unreasonable fear of the dark when we moved in. So much that I would get out of my bed and sleep on the floor under my night light. I was very scared to stay in my room alone. However, at only 5, I can chalk that up to being little and living in a new house.

The part I want to tell you about was when I was 9 or 10 years old. I am a fourth generation fiddle player. I was starting to pick the instrument up on and off during this time, trying to learn to play. Naturally, my squeaking and sqawking drove my family nuts, so I was banished to the back bedroom to do my practicing. It was my older brother's room at one time, but he had recently moved out with his fiance. My mom just converted it into a sewing room.

The door to this room was a solid wooden door with the original brass handle, which had no locking mechanism. There was another door leading outside from this room, which my step father had installed just days before. I remember how we all marveled at how easily it opened and shut, how easily that shiny knob turned. This one DID have a lock of course.

That night, I finished up my practicing, put my fiddle back in the case, and tried to open the door. I was going to join my parents in the living room and watch tv. But the door knob, which had turned so easily thousands of times before, was stuck so hard, it wouldn't turn an inch. The door seemed cemented shut. I jiggled the handle, tried to just push the door, but it wouldn't budge. I tried everything. So I turned to just go out the back door and circle round the house, but to my surprise, this handle wouldn't turn either. I locked and unlocked, tried everything, turned with all my strength and nothing. So I called out to my mom, and she and my step dad came and tried the door. Still nothing.

My step dad tried his hardest to turn the handle. Now believe me when I tell you this is a strong man. I have seen this man twist the entire top off a Mason jar. Not just the lid, but the entire glass top. He just breaks things without even meaning to. He could not force the door open, and I was starting to get very scared and a little panicky. They said, "We're coming around to the back". And this is when the light went out.

My heart did a flop so hard, and I was starting panic more and more. It was the worst feeling. I could see the light from the other room at the bottom of the door, but otherwise it was pitch black. I am not exaggerating when I say I could FEEL I was not in the room by myself at that point. I was so scared of whatever was in there with me, if I had had any more strength, I would've busted the door down myself. When I get very scared, I cannot scream or make any noise at all... I have had that problem my whole life. I am not very fun to go to spook houses with because of that.

It took my parents mere moments to get to the other door, but it felt like a lifetime to me. The other handle would not budge either. Dad (though he is my stepdad I do call him "dad") was going to try to take the handle apart. He had a screwdriver in hand. But I heard whatever was there with me come closer. It was BREATHING. I yelled out to my dad "Just get me out of here!"

I don't know what made him do it, because of every one I have ever known, he is the most LOGICAL. He thinks everything through. I think he heard the panic and fear in my voice, though, and he kicked the new door clean in that he had just installed days earlier. The frame busted clean off. The door flew open and the light came back on instantly. My dad was my hero that night.

He puzzled over that for days. How could two perfectly functioning doors get so stubbornly stuck at once and so tight? He checked the wiring. No problems there. He is a professional electrician, he would have found something. And I think it scared Mom as much as it did me, though she copes very well with fear. She is the best of the best of mommies. As mommies do, she kept my fears at bay with far fetched, but seemingly logical explanations until I was old enough to realize how ridiculous they were.

I avoided that room for a long time. I practiced in the kitchen. It was so strange to me that after all these years of never thinking about this incident, it came to me yesterday as I was trying to open a stubborn bathroom door. I even called mom last night and said "Hey mom, do you remember when..." and she did exactly as I did. She doesn't deny the supernatural quality of it anymore. I'm a grown up now. -S.

Other hauntings by scarter

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, scarter, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-07)
Sorry if I ask questions that you may have already answered. Sometimes I do not take the time to read other comments.:/

SHELBY
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-07)
Hi scvarter. It is strange that two doors got stuck at the same time and then the lights going out. Did anything else happen in that home. I think that the spirits ae attracted to you. I also wonder if it's possible that YOU could have unconciously made the lights go out from your panic. It seems you are a sensitive. I am sensative and empathic and I notice sometimes when I am in a very energetic, hyped up mood, when I go by the tv, it messes up. One time my teenage daughter and I got into an arguement in her room and as our voices rose the light got really bright and made a buzzing sound. When our tempers calmed down a bit the light dimmed back to normal. Back and forth the light went. Crazy I know but in my house that's nothing. Luckily I have only run acrossed some bad energies a only few times in my life. The others are either passing through, don't know who they are, or where they came from, and some stick around for a long time. But when the bad energies have been around, the good ones do not come. It's not my house that's haunted it's me because it's everywhere I live. Anyway thanks for sharing your story. I enjoy reading them.

SHELBY 😊
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-18)
That's pretty darn scary! I don't know what I would have done at age 9 or 10 if that had happened to me. Since that house belonged to your family so long, it's difficult to believe that a spirit (assuming it was one of your relatives) would want to scare or harm you.
scarter (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-29)
HI, everyone, thank you for your comments, I was pleasantly surprised! To answer some questions, I never did have an experience quite like that again there. There were a few other things beyond explanation that, like this story, I have never really related to anyone because I didn't want to sound ridiculous. This site made me realize I am not ridiculous, just one of many many people to experience something you can't explain.
My dad never did figure out what caused the brand new lock to stop working like that. He just replaced the whole knob and lock and the frame that busted loose. The other door between the rooms continued to not budge. They somehow were able to get the knob off, but it never turned again. My mom (resourceful woman!) actually glued the knob onto the door, lol. Same knob but it doesn't actually turn, it's just stuck on there. The door doesn't latch.
I did go on to be a professional musician. I formed my band when I turned 14 and have been playing country music ever since. I have a concert tomorrow night. I recorded my first real cd in Joplin in 2008.
Thank you so much for being so receptive to my post, I appreciate it. If you want to hear more, I do have more to tell. -Sarah
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
Wow that would have scared the bajeebas out of me! Maybe DARKNESS is right and whatever it was was really quite fond of your fiddle playing? Did you ever fine out any of the history of that house? Or were there any other things that you experienced in it?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
scarter,
That is another one of my fears. Not being able to get out and then be shrouded in darkness? Yikes!
Reading your experience brought back that childhood fear. I think fear is a healthy thing to have, by the way.
Did you have any other strange occurrences in that home?
I'd love to hear your fiddle playing, have you ever recorded any of your work?
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Jav 😲
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
Yeah that would have scared me aswell at the time, that sure is out there! When your dad kicked in the door and the light turned on, did the other door open up aswell? I would assume it had! I get the feeling something was not happy you were leaving the room and wanted to hear you play the fiddle a bit more perhaps?

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
Yowza!
That would be incredibly nerve wracking. Super (step) Dad!
Did he ever come up with a 'logical' explanation? Or does he still puzzle over it?
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
Wow...that is enough to induce a really bad panic attack in anybody, let alone a 9/10 year old kid. The way you described this entity, it must have been a really bad one. So, I was wonder if you experienced anything similar afterwards. Also, you mentioned that the room used to be your brother's room, did your brother experience anything?
MrsRedwine1 (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
I find your experience intriguing, as I had some-what of the same happen to me when I was younger, as well as something later on in life triggering the memory. Our house was an older house that had caught fire and my parents remodeled it and added on rooms as well. The built on part of our house was "haunted" (as we called it as kids) as well as the main house. I was always the first to go to bed (really uncomfortable to be the last one up) and my dad would always get up around 5am to get ready for work. I suddenly woke up one night with an urge to go to the bathroom, but I was too scared to get outta bed. I laid there until I saw, what I thought was my dad walk down the hall. I got up and went to the bathroom and our bathroom door was an old door that used a skeleton key (which we didn't have). I tried opening the door and it would not open. It was like it was bolted shut! Even with the light on I felt this overwhelming feeling that there was a presence in the room with me. I shut my eyes and screamed over and over for my mom and dad until they came and opened the door with no problem. My dad was not the "person" that walked past my door either. After that night I...sounds funny, but... Nail polished a piece of yarn on my light switch that ran to my bed so I always had a way to turn on the light. This was one of many many encounters that I had as well as my sisters. Just really related to you on this.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: