You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: So Many Shoes

Real Ghost Stories

So Many Shoes

 

I have had many, many spiritual or paranormal encounters. Many of my stories are posted to this site, as a matter of fact. For many years, I have been able to keep my home (not my neighbors) but my home fairly peaceful. Now, I am not so sure. There are small occurrences that are making me wonder.

I have three grown children, one who still lives with my husband and I. We also have a dog, a Chesapeake Bay retriever. She is about the size of a Labrador.

Last Monday, I was woken in the middle of the night, I believe at about 3:30 or 4:00 AM by a ticking noise. It was loud and sounded like an old fashioned wind up clock ticking. I got up, looked around, could not figure out where the noise was originating from. I did not wake my husband as he had to be up in an hour or so.

After about 15 minutes the ticking stopped. I chalked it up to a bad dream and lay back down to sleep.

A few hours later my husband woke me up. He sounded excited and perplexed at the same time. He asked me to come down stairs with him. As we walked down the stairs, my chin must have dropped so far that it hit the floor. All of our shoes were arranged in patterns like someone walking in them and stepping right out of them from our front door to about the fifth stair up. They were in pairs and as I said, looked like someone had been wearing them, was walking and stepped right out of them.

The shoes used were mine and my husbands. All of the pairs of shoes except for perhaps one or two pairs had been in the hall closet. The closet door was tightly closed as it had been when we had gone up to bed the night before. None of my son's shoes were used. Before it is considered, my son was not at home. He had gone camping with friends and family to Yellowstone National Park and respecting geography, Yellowstone is no where near my home. Neither of my other children live in Omaha and no one else has our house key.

I assured my husband that it was probably nothing to worry about. As he was in a hurry to leave for work, he took this at my word and headed out the door. After I made sure all of the doors and windows were locked tight, I placed all of the shoes back in the hall closet, called my dog to sit neat me and turned on the idiot box in the front room.

At about 7:00 AM I startled awake sitting in my chair in the front room. The ticking sound was back. I ran upstairs, showered (all the while hearing the ticking), towel dried my hair. I threw some makeup in my bag, put on my scrubs, fed the dog and was out the door.

I returned home that day at about 4:30 PM to find the shoes lined up the way my husband and I had seen them that morning.

I have not had anything happen at home since then. I have had my house blessed once again, burned sage and used salt.

I know this may sound ridiculous, but I have adapted to handling un-explained things when not at home. I can not tolerate things happening at my home. Let's hope this was an isolated incident. Anything further and I will keep you posted.

Other hauntings by KimSouthO

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Nebraska

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KimSouthO, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2019-10-22)
I know MsRamsay, I'll get noises that make no since at all. 😐
MrsRamsay (guest)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-20)
Cherubim, I have recorded in my kitchen before. You know that clicking sound the gas stove first makes when you are turning on a burner? It's the electric starter. I have heard that in EVPs on my recorder when I never heard it when actually making the recording.

When I first moved into my house, the refridgerator bell, the dinging that happens if you leave the door open too long, would just start dinging at me, usually around bedtime. I would come out to the kitchen and look around and the door would never be open. I even looked for the appliance manual to see what it might be, and found NOTHING. I just sort of think these are attempts at getting our attention... Randomly using whatever is available. A clock noise without a clock though, reminds me of the Edgar Allen Poe story.
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2019-10-20)
I can relate to the ticking sound. I left my tape recorder on one night hoping to "catch something." I got this ticking sound and there's nothing in the room that could have made it. I also once went into my spare bedroom and found 3 or 4 pairs of my shoes paired backwards?! It really freaked me out! Thank you for sharing, and DO keep us posted.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+2
5 years ago (2019-10-18)
WisconsinLady,
Since her email is publicly posted, I would assume it's alright to use it. If you do write her it would probably go to her spam/junk folder because you are unknown to her. In the subject line you might wish to put "Yourusername from YGS", I know this helps me tremendously in sorting what my email thinks is junk from the real junk.
There's many reasons why someone might go quiet, sometimes it's just life getting in the way (How dare they live it?😲),some times they just need to walk away for a bit, and get focused. There are probably as many different reasons as there are members. Not all of them are happy ones and not all of them are sad either.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+4
5 years ago (2019-10-18)
Hi WisconsinLady--It is common for YGS members to just stop posting. Several members, myself included, were in regular contact with YGS member RANDYM until he simply stopped posting one day. I sent him several emails that also went unanswered.

I commented on KimSouthO's account a year ago and sent her an email but never heard back from her. I was particularly interested in communicating with her as we both experienced hearing a paranormal clock ticking sound. I was very curious to know if she ever heard the sound again.

I think that for some members, getting their story off their chest is liberating and they don't feel a need to have an ongoing discussion about it.
WisconsinLady (1 stories) (52 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-10-18)
I'm kind of concerned about the somewhat abrupt end of KimSouthO's story submitting and commenting. Is this pretty normal for YGS?

I'd like to check in with her and make sure she's doing okay. Since it's been years since her last story and comment, I'm not sure if emailing her is okay, especially since it's a work email address... And I'm a total stranger. What's the proper etiquette for this? ❤
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-05-28)
Mendel - Thanks for commenting on this older account. Just last night I was discussing with my wife the strange old fashioned clock like ticking I heard in my darkened bedroom several years ago. Unlike this account where the ticking corresponded with the moving of shoes, the ticking I heard presaged a visit from my deceased mother.

This paranormal ticking is reported quite frequently in psychical literature and I read a great case study the Society of Psychical Research documented of this exact same ticking sound being heard by a girl which was immediately followed by the apparition of a man in a white suit and hat walking up the stairs into her room and disappearing through the wall. Interesting that both the SPR account and Kim's involved stairs.

Too bad this account is so old and the OP hasn't been active in seven years. KimSouthO, if you still check in here on YGS it would be interesting to hear if you have heard this ticking again. It is extremely interesting to note that this strange ticking sound seems to be a commonly used technique that spirits employ to draw attention to themselves.
Meldel (6 stories) (39 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-05-28)
Any more of these stories? We have plenty of time on our hands.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
[at] Geetha,

Television:

Idiot Box
The Vast Wasteland
Boob Tube
Church of the Cathode Ray
Cat Couch
Picture Radio
The Color Console
Squawk Box
Babysitter (bad idea)
The Tube

Jav 😊
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
I learnt something new today... Although it doesn't have anything to do with paranormal and I have no idea what you experienced. I never knew that an idiot box was the television.
minimom (50 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
If nothing else, you have an unseen guest with a pretty off the wall sense of humor, or a shoe fetish. Lol
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
To all who responed,
I have not had any further experieces in the house. I have thought about playing a video camera near the area if this ever occurs again.

My dog had no reaction what so ever.

My husband just brushes it off.

The 'idiot box' is the television.

God Bless!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
Kim,
Wow! Where is this going? It certainly is a head scratcher, I have to say. I've read it over three times now and a couple of things do stand out.
First is the ticking. Loud ticking. So, I'm trying to think of what else does that? Loudly. The only thing that comes to mind is a metronome. Still no idea.
Second is that no where do you make mention of your dog getting riled up or panicked at any time during these odd occurrences. Why? Well, to me that is a good sign. Of what? Still no idea.
Third are the shoes. Heading up the stairs, but not all the way up. Almost like children playing dress up and the shoes come off as they are walking. Still no...

Kim,
I've sent you the rest by email.

Jav ❤
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
Please allow me to say that I absolutely love your stories 😁

Just like others have suggested, setting up a video would be a really good idea!
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
I wonder what on earth the ticking means? I at first thought maybe it was the shoes "walking" but you would have seen that on your way to the shower right?

Whatever it is certainly doesn't seem to be harmful in any way, I like the idea of recording these events, please do keep us posted I am most intrigued!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
Kim this is amazing and I'm wondering what it all signifies and means, does anything stand out to you at all? IrishGuy's idea of a camera or even EMF might be an idea arer you comfortable doing something along those lines? Do keep us updated this is extraordinary.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Aprilsnanny35 (3 stories) (35 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-27)
Really intriguing story! I think the best suggestion is to set up a video as per other comments. Sounds harmless though. Would love to know if you get to the bottom of it!

Irishguy: An idiot box is a television! 😊

Wishing you well.
bluejay (2 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
This is quite an experience, KimSouth, but it doesn't really sound malevolent... So I don't think you should be afraid. I've had a good bit of paranormal experiences in my life... And I have learned the worse thing I can do is react with fear. I like Irishguy's suggestion of setting up a video in front of the stairs, but then again... It may never happen again.
IrishGuy (30 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
Thats a very unusual event. How about if you set up video in front of the stairs and see if you get anything on playbak, maybe worth a try! By the way what is an idiot box?
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
how strange, can't help but wonder why what or who ever it was put your shoes like that.
You have to keep this one up to date if anything else happens
Interesting but weird!
Carl
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
It's nice to hear your stories again, KimSouthO. What a weird experience. Did your dog react to the ticking or did he hear it? Did you talk to your husband about the ticking and did you tell him about the shoe incident when you got back? Also, did you start experiencing anything just before this ticking started?
fran88 (2 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-26)
wow that's a really interesting story I no if I was to exsperiance that I would be petrified to be alone in the house. I have had a paranormal encounter befor and I am really fightend of it happening again you said you have had many spiritual and paranormal encounters how do you cope. I'm sorry I can't offer you any advice I'm new to all of this but I hope things get better.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: