You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Mysteriously Locked Door

Real Ghost Stories

Mysteriously Locked Door

 

Here is my story: I cannot be completely sure it is paranormal but it is definitely not explainable.

I live in England and grew up in a little village called Nayland in Suffolk. Our house is a grade 2 listed building built in the early 15th century. The house has a friendly feel and my family and I have only ever had one completely unexplainable experience in it.

There are the usual knocks and bumps but we have put them down to it being such an old house; however one day when I was about 12 my mum, sister and I were all at home while my dad was at work. All 3 of us were in the living room and had been going in and out all day with no problems until my mum went to leave the room to find the door was locked. All 3 of us were inside the room and there was no one else in the house. The door did have a lock but the key was in the other side of the door and therefore it was not a case of one of us pulling a prank as we couldn't reach the key from within the room. After we had jiggled, pushed and banged at the door for 45 minutes we were starting to get a bit stressed out as the windows in the room are also old that they cannot be opened easily and would have to be smashed for one of us to climb out and come back in through the front door to unlock the living room door. We tried the door a few more times to no avail and my mum was just getting ready to smash one of the windows when we heard a small click. She walked over to the door and turned the handle and the door swung open. None of us had been standing anywhere near the door at the time. Needless to say, after that incident we never kept the key in the door again!

I can think of any explanation as even if the key had somehow locked the door slightly it would have come free with our efforts to open the door and not 45 minutes later when none of us were nowhere near it.

When I was in my late teens I was told by a family friend that the previous owner of our house had for some reason had to get our house exorcised about a year before we moved in but would not tell me why as he did not wish to scare me. As I said before, we have never felt uneasy or uncomfortable in the house but that experience will definitely stay with me for life. I hope you liked the story and wonder if you have any explanations for the door locking and unlocking by itself?

Beth

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Noodles, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

angelina11 (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-30)
cant give you suitable advise but maybe you can find out the history of that house?
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-08-24)
Hmmm, definitely a WTH moment. Has anything else ever happened? Like items going missing only to show right back up in an odd place?
If your place had indeed been exorcised, a local church might be able to shed some light on it. Records are kept of such things.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-24)
Noodles
I liked your story very much. I agree with Miracles the spirit may or may not be funnin with you. You should do some research on the house especially since it is so old.
Regards
RedWolf
Noodles (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-23)
You know I hadn't thought about googling it! I'll have to do that and update you if I find anything.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-21)
Love this story? Well, at least he was thoughtfull about practical joking and didn't want anyone seriously harmed or harm done to the house. Thankyou for a fun read.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-08-21)
Noodles - the only explanation I have would be paranormal. Someone was either messing with y'all out of good-natured fun, or maybe not so much on the fun side 😕

I've been locked inside my home a couple times, so I understand. Mine was more humorous than what happened to you and your family.

I know you said there was supposedly an exorcism done at your home prior to y'all moving in. Have you researched to see if there is any documentation of anything odd or weird that happened? I Google a lot LOL Sometimes it comes in really handy.

Thanks for sharing this with us 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: