You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Voice In My Ear

Real Ghost Stories

The Voice In My Ear

 

This happened to me one night as I was laying in bed at my parents house when I was about 20 years old. I live at home with my mother and father in Utah while I'm working and trying to pay off debt to go back to school.

It was getting late when I decided to go to bed. I laid down to sleep when my mother came in to talk to me about something. We talked for a moment and then said goodnight to each other. I flipped over to sleep on my stomach and closed my eyes as my mother closed the door. I just just started to drift off to sleep when, all of a sudden, I heard this very loud LOUD voice shout in my ear. It sounded like a women's voice. Not sure why, but it makes sense because I thought it was my mother's voice. I couldn't make out what it was saying, but it was so loud that I immediately sat up and looked around. After a minute of just listening, I called out, "Mom?" because I thought it was her. I then heard her messing around with the dishes in the kitchen, which is on the other side of the house we live in. She didn't hear me call to her. I laid back down to go to sleep, but I didn't sleep for a while after that.

I'm not really sure what this was, but I'm absolutely sure that I heard it. I don't know if it was a ghost, but that's all I can think of. I thought maybe it was a dream, but I don't think it was because I wasn't really asleep yet.

If you have any comments, please write them below and help me figure out what's going on. I don't think my house is haunted, but I would like to know what it was.

Other hauntings by Sweeternity

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sweeternity, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-03)
I agree with Nysa that this was most likely a hypnogogic hallucination since you were halfway towards sleep. It happens to me a lot where I'll be near sleep and it'll sound like someone saying 'hi' or my name right in my ear, sometimes like my mother's saying it. It's a normal auditory and mental echo of the day and of people you may know, but nothing serious or paranormal.
HappySpirit (187 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-02)
Our mind can do strange things as we are going into and coming out of sleep. We can hear and sense things that appear to be coming from outside of us but are really internal brain firings. Unless you experience other paranormal activity I would be inclinded to write this off as such. But like Mountaineer suggests, you might want to start a dream journal and see if this repeats.
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-01)
meant to say PARAnormal... Obviously mastering the keyboard on my new phone is going to take some more practice...
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-01)
It most likely was a hypnogogic hallucination since your mother did not hear the yell, it is not unusual for those to wake you up since you are not fully asleep yet. It is not impssible that the voice was otherworldly, but the most likely explanation is usually the best.
Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-01)
I have stuff like this happen to me all the time. I'll start to dream before I am fully asleep, and it is always a wierd experience. I don't think you were experiencing anything normal, just a strange and unfamiliar state of mind between being asleep and awake. If you want another two cents, you should consider getting a dream journal to write down your dreams and semi-dream experiences.

--Mountaineer
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-01)
People will undoubtedly say that you were asleep enough (floating somewhere in that altered state of consciousness between wakefullness and sleep) that you did "dream" this, in the sense that it is something dredged up from you subconscious. The other possibility is that you were in that state and therefore receptive to extenal energies you might not otherwise notice. It's really up to you to decide which makes more sense to you and what, if any, meaning you take from the experience.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: