You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Old Family Haunted House

Real Ghost Stories

Old Family Haunted House

 

I have told only a few people about the experiences in the old family house my grandparents owned. I wish I knew more of the history and the exact year it was made. I do know that it was standing in 1885 and perhaps before this. It started as a two room house with a detached summer kitchen, over the years the kitchen was moved and joined to the house and a second story was added. What follows is a list of happenings myself and my family have experienced in that house and why I will NEVER go back there.

The two story house was owned by my mother's parents and has been in the family for at least three generations. I remember as a child playing all over, from the attic to the old barn. The "hauntings" came and went. Some days there was only joy and laughter, the fun of a child exploring. Other days you wanted to run away but even outside wasn't safe. On days like that you knew someone was watching you from the upstairs window. But the feeling was filled with malice that you felt even as a child. I thought that someday I would eventually see someone if I glanced up quickly enough but I never did.

When I was around 6 to 8 my father put in a ground source system for my grandparents. Let me take a minute to explain the upstairs layout. From the living room you would go up 13 steps to the top bedroom. From that room you would walk into another one. I never remember a door but only a curtain or nothing at all between the two rooms. In the second room there was an entrance to the attic. You had to bend down to get in and then step down into it.

When my father put in the air system he cut a hole in the attic wall directly above the staircase for a vent. While he was working on it the attic seemed fine. I would bring him lunch and sit next to him. As soon as the work was finished, the oppresive feeling that resided there came back. Talking with people later I realized that we all had this same thought when walking up or down the stairs. Something in your head told you to run past it, while visions of a long black hand reaching out at your would dance in your vision. Imaginations are strong things, however, all of my siblings felt the same as well as both of my parents.

The other thing I remember as a kid there was someone pulling hair and pinching; believe me, my sister and I got into many a scrap over who was instigating it. Also, my grandmother had an old typewriter and she would accuse us kids of messing with it using all of her red ink. There would be pages and pages of mumbled letters printed out. Nothing with a message or sentence just a confused jumble but once or twice the words help and out would be seen.

When I was 19 (6 years ago) my grandmother approached my father about moving into the house and her and Papa would put a trailer onto the property so they didn't have to do stairs anymore. He agreed before talking to Mom about it and she just started weeping over it. She begged him to not make her live in that house ever again. She hadn't told us all she experienced (still hasn't) but my mother does not get scared and does not cry. We moved in despite her protests and everything was ok for awhile.

Before I relate the rest of this, I would preface it by saying that my Grandmother was a preacher with her own following. To say they were a regular congregation or group would be false as they became more and more occult. Grandma would tell her children that God would strike them dead if they didn't please her in all things and when she was pregnant in her late 30s she blamed satan for it. Many of the goings on in the house happened at moments when she was mad at my family for not following her and her group.

After we moved them out into the nicely setup and now disability enabled trailer, things started getting very unpleasant. The feelings that we would get worsened. You no longer felt uneasy, you felt unsafe. She had left some paintings in the house, hideous ones with malformed children feeding scraggly ducks, that sort of thing. She told us we could throw them away or whatever but we knew better. Mom wanted to redo the living room but of course we were nervous about putting them away. I suggested putting it in the Diningroom and keep her happy until we get to that room. Mom nodded her head in agreement, I took it down, laid it against the wall where I was going to hang it, and went for the hammer. Before I could get it the phone rang.

Understand that my Grandmother was in her new house which was approx 2 acres away and there is NO WAY anyone could see into the Dining room from that side of the house anyway. The call was her and her first words were, "Why did you take that painting down? I don't want you touching it, put it back up now!" Mom, asked which painting and demanded to know what she was talking about. Grandma explained in detail what we were doing and said the she didn't like my idea. When asked how she knew that, she wouldn't give any clear answer.

After this I was upstairs redecorating the rooms up there. The kids had taken to sleeping on the floor in the livingroom and would spend no time up there other than to get their clothes. Mom's solution was to make them "fun" to stay in. Only myself and my mother was in the livingroom when this happened. Mom was in the kitchen cooking lunch. For this bit let's call the room with the attic the yellow room and the other one the blue room. Carpet colors you see.:) I was in the yellow room and stepped into the blue room for a few minutes. When I came back the attic door was open. I thought it curious because you have to lift up on the door to raise it over a bump to open it. I made sure it was shut securely before continuing. When I left and stepped back in again the door was open.

I am a down to earth person and do not get spooked easily. So, I decided to lock it to keep the heat from getting in. The lock is an old fashioned one so you have to you pull it up, slide it over, and then slide it down. It is unpleasant to lock it at the best of times but I made sure it was secure before going about my business. Of course, the door was open again. I was trying so hard not to panic at this point but I locked it again and moved a very heavy chair in front of it. One of those spinning chairs from the 60s that you have to walk anywhere you want it unless you are the hulk. I stepped out and then back but was only gone for a few seconds. (I know because I counted and then went back to see the result. The door was open and the chair was in the middle of the room spinning in place.

The thing that sealed the deal was when my sisters were sleeping upstairs again and one of them got hurt. Amanda (fake name) had told us time and again that something would wake her up and then she couldn't move. Dad told her it was sleep paralysis and that she was overreacting.

That night they were sleeping in the yellow room when the attic door opened and heat just poured out and then it turned icy cold. Amanda saw a shadowy figure at the end of the bed and then it was at the side of the bed. She couldn't move as the shadow hovered over her and then got on top of her, pushing her down into the best. My other sister Diane woke up with a terrible feeling and then realized that the bed was sinking down. She looked over to see Amanda sinking deeper and deeper into the bed and struggling for breath. Before Diane could get off of the bed, it sunk so low that she rolled off, OVER Amanda and hit her head on the night stand.

My family didn't take long in leaving then. There was always the small stuff in that house, things moving, bad feelings and thoughts, sounds of walking in the attic and breathing. But we had never encountered anything so awful as that. We had friends help us move and we hadn't told them ANYTHING about this. The husband told Dad that he felt that someone was watching him fron the upstairs and the wife wouldn't let her two small boys out her site. She confessed to my mother that she felt that something wanted to hurt them.

The only thing I would add to this is that when staying over in that house I had a recurring dream. It only ever happened in that house. I dreamed that there was an opening in the attic and that there was an elevator that ran down inside the wall and opened on the outside of the front of the house. There were all of these different people and creatures that used it and there was a keeper in the attic deciding who could use it. The keeper was all black like night but shiny and very mean. This gentleman in 19th century garb with dark hair and a mustache would always take the elevator but get stuck in the walls. He kept asking me to help him out but I didn't know how and was scared of the keeper. I had this dream well over 20 times in that house. I don't know what bearing it has on anything but that man always got stuck and couldn't get out and I was always scared of the keeper.

I would be interested in hearing any thoughts on this from anyone. My family has had experiences before and I have had experiences after. We all are also very perceptive of individuals and their true intent. Some people can't understand why I refuse to be friends with some individuals or why some leave me shuddering and wishing for a safe place as they don't sense anything out of the ordinary. All I do know is, we will never set foot in that house again. Also an odd thing... There was a door in the middle of the wall upstairs. My Great grandmother had a dream about it over and over so they put one there but never made a balcony.

Other hauntings by SaraBeth

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SaraBeth, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

SaraBeth (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-02)
goodness, I haven't been on here in ages. Life just got too busy. Now that the Holidays are over I can begin to function normally again. TID, thank you so much for your insight! I agree with everything you said and I think that I will go ahead and cleanse my room. I am renting and have roommates so yeah... I will just focus on my quarters.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
TID: The "karma bandits" are still around... Try not to let it bug you...It's happened to all of us recently, so you're not alone 😕
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-11)
I write a thoughtful comment and I'm minused for it? It's OK if you don't agree. Be brave and write a response explaining why rather than being a coward and simply giving me a minus for no good reason.
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-10)
I too am generally a good judge of character. I would get gut feelings about people ever sense I was a kid. It wouldn't be something I witnessed that caused these feelings. It was just the person's presence. For example, I always got a bad vibe from this person my grandmother used as a "handy-man" when I was a kid. I didn't understand why, but I knew that I didn't like him. I would get anxious when he was around. So, I just stayed away from him. Even today, I get a very uncomfortable feeling by the mere presence of some people; usually just transients (i.e. Not people I'm around frequently).

Like your grandmother, my dad is EXTREMELY manipulative and I'll even go as far as saying that he's evil. I completely excommunicated him as of 2007. Your grandmother having bad experiences in that house does not excuse her actions as an adult. Thus, pardon me if I'm being too forward, but I would label her as evil as well. Not bad. EVIL. There is a difference. In my opinion, your parents should have cut all ties with her when they moved out of that house.

As for the house itself, I'm not sure what to make of it. Maybe a malevolent entity was attracted there by all of the negativity from even your grandmother's parents. Maybe it was already there before the house was even built. Since this property was obviously several acres, it is possible that something bad happened on that land long ago that has made it a magnet for negative energy. Thus, creating even more negative energy from those that have lived there over the years. Does that excuse peoples' actions? No. Something should have been done long ago. It's not right that it has been left on the shoulders of you and your family.

I would do this:

1) Warn the current owners by letter

2) Cleanse/protect your current home as well as yourselves by following Rook's cleansing/protection instructions.

3) I would reccommend #2 to your parents as well.

4) Forget about "arm's length". Just stay away from your grandmother period.

I'm glad that you have a positive outlook. I'm 40 (will be 41 on January) and I'm still working toward that. It's been an arduous process for me.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-24)
Thanks, Rook. And right back at ya'...you're perspective has helped many here as well.

Lou
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-24)
SaraBeth,

It seems I was a bit more than a Wee Bit Off. My apologies for that.

So chances are it's not the cistern. Lou you seem to have had some pretty good insights, thank you for Helping.

Respectfully,

Rook
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-10-21)
SaraBeth,
I'm not going to ask you to go through all of my stories, because I do not think my experiences are anymore significant than anyone else's. What I have always had is a pretty well developed level of insight, which I sense you do as well. I did not have any paranormal experiences that I know of until I was twenty-five...but since then they happen frequently... Sometimes daily.
I think the most important thing you can do is learn to accept that what is going on IS real. And then decide what you want to do with that reality. Everybody gets to the "am I going crazy?" phase at some point... Knowing it is coming and getting past it is a big step. I would have no judgement either way toward anyone, whether they choose to ignore their gift or embrace it... But it can be rewarding to use it to help other people... Because just like most everything in our lives; there is a first time for everything... And being there for people during or immediately after their's is a blessing to them.

Lou
SaraBeth (2 stories) (26 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-21)
Lou, thank you for your insight. The room that lies above the cistern is the newest add on. It used to be a covered porch but is now a laundry room. Out of all of the rooms in the house, it was my favorite. It was always full of light and had a happy feeling in that room. One reason it would be curious to me if that was the source of the negativity. Also, I never had any experience in that room and as far as I know, no one else has as well.
As far as my grandmother goes... After hearing that this has been there long before she was even married, it made me think that she decided to just 'get along' with it and even use it to her own advantage because for whatever reason she didn't get away from it. Not the right thing to do but it doesn't surprise me. I don't like speaking bad of the elderly but she is THE most selfish and self centered person I have ever met in my life.
Oh, and the only natural source of water around there was a run off creek down in the field.

Also, does anyone have advice on dealing with this personally? I have had many an experience and I have just begun to accept that this is something I am going to deal with every once in awhile. Any body else realize this, and if so, how did you deal with it?
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-21)
SaraBeth,
Hi. Have you ever had any significant experiences in the room above the cistern? My experiences in my story The Inn... I had a physical reaction whenever I was in the area of what I feel was an active portal. The sensitivity you describe through your experiences, would lead me to believe that you would have some indication if it had that level of significance. Is there a body of water immediately adjacent to the house or property? It is my understanding that the cistern I dealt with was also fed from an adjacent canal system... If yours is also tied into a natural water source, it could be relevant to your story.
Regardless of the cistern and its significance, I believe some means of spiritual attraction to the property obviously exists.
Personally, I think grandma has issues. She started something that she could not handle once it got rolling. She may have had physical issues in her later years, but more importantly, she had to get out. The only way it wasn't going to follow her is if she sacrificed someone else, and the fact she did this to her own family is pretty twisted.
She not only knew that she had to supply your family's energy to appease the entities and keep them from following her, she also had to monitor you to make sure you did not anger them as well. She knew the painting was moved because she "saw" you do it... Some believe that an inanimate object can be manipulated to become a monitoring device, so to speak... It could have been something else in the room, but it was likely the painting itself. I know that sounds really farfetched... But I honestly have seen it done... Just like entities actions can be enhanced or manipulated by a trigger object; energy of the living can be injected into an object that will allow them access from a distance.
Grandma's breakdown could very well be a result of torment she now suffers as a result of your family leaving the house. Even if this all started before her cult activity, what she did fed it, and is still there today.

Lou
SaraBeth (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-21)
And thank you so much for helping me out here. I am in a situation that makes it very difficult to do anything about it and I may get in trouble with extended family even for writing the new owners but it isn't right to not warn them. I just wish that this wouldn't make me look like a crazy nutter but oh well.
SaraBeth (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-21)
The cistern was dug to catch rain water and was used as a well. Right now it sits under the laundry room floor. Maybe it isn't connected?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-21)
SaraBeth,
I'm going to have Lou look at this also. It helps to have someone who's been there, in on this. And believe me, he's dealt with with some pretty bad ones, so let's see if we can't make some sense out of all of this, OK?

Jav
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-21)
SaraBeth,

Sorry I was sleeping when Jav called me.

As far as contacting the New Owners... Write them a letter. 😉 I'm sure you have the address. Introduce yourself and relate how long your Family owned the property. Then let them know that you believe the Property to be Haunted and you feel they have a right to know this. Do not give them any details but provide a way to contact you... An e-mail address or if your comfortable with it maybe even a cellphone number. You give them the option of contacting you. They just might, even if it's to tell you to leave them alone but at least you tried to let them know what was happening.

Now about what is happening.

Do you know if the cistern is for the capture of rain water to be used like a well? Or is it connected to the bathrooms, the toliets inparticular?

If used to capture rain water the effects are more of a positive nature. If used in conjunction with the bathrooms, while very Convenient... It is assosiated with 'waste products' and 'not so nice'. From the information you have provided I'll go out on a limb and say it's connected to the bathrooms.

The cistern is not natural... It was dug for use by the Family when the orignal home was built. It's my guess this altered the 'natural energy' in the area and this change in energy attracted an 'entity' to the location. This 'entity' has interacted with individuals in your Family to provide it with an Environment that suits 'it'. This includes your Grandmother and her 'Followers'. It also 'controls' this 'source of energy' as evidenced by your dream of the Elevator Controler.

I do not feel this is a Portal, so it's not an entryway nor an exit for Spirits and Entities, but rather something that was attracted to the changes in 'enviromental energy' when the orignal home was built.

I am not sure what can be done. Let me do some research and I will see if I can find anything. It may be Late Sunday night before I can post anything I can find. Please keep us updated.

Respectfully,

Rook
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
SaraBeth,
Yeah, I think it's best we wait for Rook on all of these questions. I'll tell you right now, I trust him explicitly, especially in matters such as this.
I am so glad that I caught your message earlier. Because normally I'm already logged off by that time.
Whew!

Jav 😊
SaraBeth (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
Jav, just now read that... Thanks a ton. I really don't want anyone else growing up in that home and being terrorized or worse. And as far as myself goes, I would love to be able to either come to grips with stuff like this or have it stop. Thanks again.
SaraBeth (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
Good point but how would I even go about finding something like that out? My family just believes that there are angels and demons and we spoke about what one would do with the land but they feel there would be no way to seal a portal to what they consider "hell" to be.
Dad thinks about it and talks about it with me from time to time. My mother however, just doesn't want to think about it period. She holds to the belief that if you don't think about it, it probably can't hurt you all that bad. Yesterday I cleaned an elderly lady's house and had some unpleasant happenings so I asked my sis to come help me finish my cleaning job and she experienced the same things as I did without me informing her of what was going on.
I thought back to you guys mentioning that there may be something still having a negative influence on my family. Honest to goodness opinions, may I just be more sensitive to such things and notice it more, or do you think I really need to find someone to "bless" me? I am not a religious person really so I don't know exactly where I would go for this without having to listen to a sermon about my soul as well.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
Listen, I just called Rook. He'll be in later on today. He may have some suggestions here. So let's just wait to see what he's got to say.

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
SaraBeth,
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking. This whole situation has given me the willies. I can understand the reluctance about saying something to these new owners of the house, but just to leave them with no idea of what they're in for is very dangerous.
There has got to be a way to warn them. Or at least study up on what can be done to close this portal.
Because, chances are, they wouldn't believe you to begin with. But when things start to spin out of control, those people are going to start doing their own investigating. And when they do, it's a pretty good guess they'll come knocking. What happens then?
I'm pretty sure we can say your family will most likely feign ignorance, rather than face the possibility of having to assist these folks. It would be nice to at least have something ready ahead of time that they can move forward with. What that would be, I don't know. But there has to be some way of heading this off before any more children suffer.

Jav
SaraBeth (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
wow, it seems like that woud explain many things that happened in that house. The idea of a portal that is. I have heard of covens choosing sites over underground lakes due to the energy levels and such but never thought about an old cistern. Also, the idea of a portal would bring more sense to my recurring dream. I am just thankful that though I felt the presence and saw it in my mind's eye, I never saw it with my naked eye.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
SaraBeth,
It was built over a cistern? This is very interesting.
Do me a favor would you?
There is a story by another poster, LousSlips. It's called "The Inn". I'd like you to read this story. Just humor me OK?
Here's the link:

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=5869

Jav
SaraBeth (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
I know! Well, we had to sign it over to the resthome when Papa went in and they in turn sold it. I don't know these people at all and have no way of contacting them. So, it would just be driving back to the old house and making a very awkward house call. But everyone in my family is worried about them because we are now all convinced that whatever this is, it is very old and not going anywhere anytime soon. I am surprised they are even messing with it because the structure is failing and it is built over a cistern so this just seems like a bad idea to me.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
SaraBeth,
WHOA! Alright, all of what you just revealed is very creepy. The worst being that the house was sold to a "Family". This disturbs me. Mostly for the reaction the rest of the family has shown. This new family is obviously unaware of what they are in for with that house. I won't cast aspersions here, but I do think you know what your duty is.

That's all.
Jav
SaraBeth (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
Ok, don't know if this will interest you guys, but I no longer think that my Grandmother caused the problems there. Her mother had grown up in that house and then she did and I learned something just last night that I found creepy but interesting. I had went for one of my rare family visits (they are getting much better) and something happened yesterday that three of us experienced.
More than anything, it brought up memories about that old house. I have never told ANYONE about the dreams I had had in that house until I posted them on here. But as we were talking about it I asked if anyone else had had this dream and shared it. Looks were exchanged and shudders abounded. I was then told that when they were watching Grandma last week, she had broke down crying.
She had had a nightmare when she was napping and thought she was a little girl again being chased by the dark man in the attic. Then she told my mom and sisters that when she was a little girl, her room was the yellow room and there was a tall dark man that was all shiny at the same time but you never saw his face. Sometimes he would just watch her but sometimes he would chase her downstairs and she would shut the door and he would bang on it. So, she would hide behind her parent's bed.
Just thought it was interesting that she grew up there and had bad experiences as well. Admittedly, it creeped me out that so many of us saw or mentally saw the same being. Just thought you all might find it of interest. Oh, and the house was already sold and we just heard that they are remodeling the house and a family is moving in. I really don't know what to do about it but my parents feel that we shouldn't say anything to them.
ngute80 (220 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
Loganz_sis- your right Jav doesn't care what others think 😊. I like that about her.
Jav- how have you been my friend?
Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
Jav since when do we care for people's approval, right!:)
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-19)
[at] believer21 and loganz_sis,
It's good to know I haven't gotten beaten up for that remark. Thanks guys.

Jav 😊
Loganz_sis (1 stories) (150 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-19)
SaraBeth,

What a incredible story, I am sorry for your difficult past.

What gives me immense joy is seeing you make sense out of things you are not expected to make sense of! Talking to a shrink is not always the answer, if you can find peace within yourself that is all that matters, how you find it is totally up to you.

Good luck my dear:)
believer21 (3 stories) (56 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-19)
Glad to know someone else doesn't feel thee need to talk to a shrink about past trama. 😁
It sounds like the unhappyness your grandmother created manafested into physical form, and possibly could have allowed a demon or even a few entry. They love negativity, and would not only feed off it, but create more.
As for the painting, maybe she just knew you guys would move it. My grandma has done that to me, freaked the crap outta me.
Has yourr family thought of sending a team of professionals in to see what they can find? If the house/land is to be sold it would be nice for the new owners to have a non-evil pallett. 😉
SaraBeth (2 stories) (26 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-18)
Yes, that child lived because she happened to be my mother.:) She had two children and then 15 years later had my mother and then 14months afterwards had another aunt. She told my great uncle Chuck that Mom was put here by Satan to try her. He didn't say anything at the time and then the when she got pregnant with Linda he asked if she was Satan's child as well. Grandma said she was as well. To which he replied that since she now has two children by Satan, she must be pretty friendly with him. Hahahahah... Oh dear. You gotta find the funny moments. She never locked any of her children up anywhere. Just mentally and physically abused them. And the reason the picture episode freaked us out is because my grandmother is in her 80s and can't even manage her jitter bug cell phone. Nevertheless, we did search the entire house for any devices.
generalchaos (2 stories) (141 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-10-18)
Wow. That all (including the incidents in the comments) sounds just terrible beyond words.

I'm wondering about the child your grandmother was pregnant with in her 30s? Did it live? Were there any children that she bore that she locked in the attic? Anything along those lines?

The other thing - about the painting - given she was as manipulative as she was, is it remotely possible she put a bug or tiny remote camera somewhere in the home to spy on all of you?

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: