You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Repeated Hauntings In A Hotel

Real Ghost Stories

Repeated Hauntings In A Hotel

 

This is my first story on this site! I have been a reader for a while now, and thought I would share some of my own (and others) experiences with you (I apologise now as this will be a long one!)

A bit of background: at the minute I am 19 Years old, and I work at a bar/restaurant/hotel in the north of England. I have worked there for around 2 and a half years now, and throughout this period I have heard many things. I am not like others on this site, and have not had a long history in the paranormal or anything of the sort: however I am still intrigued, and can say for certain I believe the place is haunted.

The Pub is in the north of England. It is fairly old, although to be honest I'm not exactly sure how old! What I do know is that it was used as a coaching inn. One story some tell is that muggings and murders were not uncommon, and that someone was killed outside. Another story says that as one man left one night on horseback, the bridge nearby crossing the river broke, causing him to drown.

In the cellar there is actually a tunnel which goes a mile underground to a nearby cemetery. According to what I've heard, bodies were dug up, brought underground through the tunnel and stored in the cellar (where the beer is stored now!) and then they were sold to doctors who would pass through. The tunnel is still there, albeit blocked off, and downstairs in the cellar is where a lot of the activity takes place.

The Building actually used to be 4 different houses: and in later years they were all joined up in order to create a larger one in which the hotel is now housed. It may be coincidence, but the most haunted room in the hotel is room 3. Originally, the hotel numbers went from 1-15: and room 13 was where a lot of activity occurred. My manager actually told me that so much happened there they had to swap the numbers round, so that the hotel actually went from rooms 1a, to rooms 1-12, and then 14/15. When the rooms were changed over, room 3 was where room 13 used to be.

(This may be where I get a bit jumbled, as I tell all of the different stories I know, but I'll try my best!)

My own experience happened in the cellar. I was responsible for getting the stock up to the bar. It was a Saturday night, and I was downstairs. I had done the majority of the stock, and was busy sending a quick text to my girlfriend, telling her what a busy night we had had, etc. Out of the corner of my eye, I see a large black figure. I thought it was my manager, so obviously I quickly thrust my phone into my pocket before standing up straight and looking across: but of course the figure slowly vanished. It was as if I had looked at the light for far too long, and I had black spots in my vision, although it was a figure shape. It was as if a person was standing next to me, staring at me.

Not too long ago, the inspector came round, and she was checking everything was up to scratch. She was downstairs in the cellar with my manager, and they were just chatting. As my manager tells it, she would repeatedly glance left, and then glance right. When he asked her what was wrong, she said that there were shadows moving on the walls. Although they were the only two in there, and the lights are long strip lights (so that shadows cannot be made).

Another story my manager likes to tell involves the cellar. The office is actually downstairs, next to the cellar, and one of the other employees was standing talking to my manager. All of a sudden, a spanner shot out between them, hit the wall, and then dropped onto the floor as they stared at each other in disbelief.

One day when I was at work, one of the supervisors was downstairs counting the until when he heard a large bang. He went into the cellar to find the door that leads into the tunnel wide open. Obviously freaked out, he shut the door and then dragged a large, full keg of beer in front of it in order to prevent it moving again. He went back to counting the till. 5 Minutes later, he heard another large bang, went into the cellar, and he found the keg had been dragged out of the way and the door was swinging open. There have also been several other occasions where staff have gone into the cellar only to find full kegs literally spinning on their side.

The bar itself is also haunted. Perhaps my favourite story involves the bar. Around 3 years ago, the river burst its banks and flooded the premises. Obviously this meant a lot of work needed to be done, and the entire place needed refitting. One evening, the builders laid down cement in order to lay some slabs the following morning, and surrounded it with tape so no one would walk on it (part of the bar has a sort of ceramic tile floor). When they came back the next morning, there were 4 very neat footprints in it. The manager blamed the night porter - however after looking at the CCTV footage from the night before he changed his mind. You can actually see the footprints appear in the cement as the night porter sits blissfully unaware in the corner. Several night porters have actually quit, because they became too freaked out finding someone standing over them in the middle of the night as they read the paper.

Not too long ago, I was working on a Saturday afternoon when my manager called me downstairs. There were several staff working, and two of them had left their handbags in reception. He had been watching the CCTV footage of the reception area for the guests (which is joined to the bar) when something caught his eye. If you watch the handbags closely, you can actually watch them unzip, one after the other. No one is even in reception, never mind next to the bags.

One Saturday night, we had a member of staff who used to work there long before all of us did: she was around 40, and had worked there as a barmaid when she was a late teen. She asked all of us if we had encountered the ghosts, and we got onto telling each other stories about the place. She told us that one night, they were sat around after work, telling each other stories and out of nowhere one of the vases, which was perched on a shelf, shot across the room, shattering on a pillar on the far side.

There are the usual things that happen, such as the phone ringing when no one is there; the hand dryers go off by themselves (they are motion activated) and television sets just turn on.

One day two guests that were stopping in the hotel were checking in, an elderly man and his wife, who was in a wheelchair. The elderly woman looked at my manager, and said to him 'you have 6 guests here with you'. My manager looked at the screen, thinking she was here meeting other family; and he told her we didn't. Turns out she was a medium and she thinks we have 6 ghosts.

Another of my favourite stories involves the hotel. One night, there was a resident staying in room 3, when he heard a knock at the window. Half asleep, he got up, and opened the curtains. There was a woman looking at him. He pulled on some clothes, and walked along to the fire escape, and opened the door in order to let her in, believing she was locked out her room. He looked across and realised there was a 15 foot drop outside his window!

The housekeepers in the hotel report seeing lots of things. One even likes to speak to them, telling them off when they turn the televisions on and flick the light switches! She says that one morning she was upstairs working, when she heard a noise in the corridor. She glanced down towards the fire escape to see a lady walk towards room 6, which is next to it. She ran down, attempting to chase her but she had vanished. Often when the housekeepers go into several rooms (namely 3, 5 and 6) there is the perfect outline of a person lying on the bed, even when no guests have been staying overnight.

During breakfast for the hotel one morning, a guest told the waiting staff that during the night he had been sleeping (in room 3) and was woken up because someone in the room was pulling the covers off him. He turned on the bedside lamp and continued to watch the covers being pulled off the bed.

My final story again involves the flood. It was very severe, and many residents in the town had their homes flooded. One family actually had the pleasure of staying in room 3 for several months as their home in the town was repaired. When asked one morning how everything was, they casually replied 'Yes, good thanks. Although the children have had to get used to the shower curtain moving by itself in the middle of the night'. Apparently the shower curtain would move up and down the rail, grinding as it went.

I hope you have enjoyed my collection of stories, it took me a fair while to write and I apologise if it isn't as fluent as you would like!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, EnglishLad, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-24)
Like the other have said,
(1) Welcome to the site.
(2) Loved your story.
(3) I might be coming to England next summer so I will see if I could find your pub/hotel with the clues you have provided.
(4) Laughed like crazy about the story with the lady at the window. LOL! That ghost must have gave that guest a shock of his life when he realized what he was seeing. LOL!
(5) I had to go back to see where you are from when I saw you use the word "spanner" because the older relatives in my family still use that word even now but I guess it the same word that used back in Sri Lanka.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-23)
EnglishLad, firstly welcome to the site, I thoroughly enjoyed your story very well told as Granny has already mentioned aswell I love hearing about hauntings in old English pubs/hotels they have a very nostalgic feel to them.😊
A lot of rich and negative history seems to be involved here, no wonder there is so much activity, and I can honestly say there will be more to come. Would be great if you could upload the cctv footage.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-22)
A very intriguing set of accounts. If I may interject, not only if you can get the CCTV footage and post it- dovetailing with this: Is the cement with the footsteps still intact?

Considering what scientists can do with fossil footprints of just about any kind, I'd not be surprised if some interesting surmises could be drawn from say- some plaster casts of the footprints...
byoeself (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-21)
Wow, Very interesting. The footstep appearing in the cement is very creepy. Just be friendly to your "guest" and they won't bother you. I have been in a situation like this and I gave them their space. They don't sound to be mischeviousor wanting to hurt anyone. I'm shure this is not the last that we hear from you! I give you and your stories a very high five stars! 😉
little_love_lolo (4 stories) (33 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-21)
Nysa, that made the BEST mental image! Pardon me while I pee myself laughing. 😆
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-21)
Thanks guys! The only use of the word I was familiar with is an orthodontic piece so I was picturing it flying out of someone's mouth & I just new that had to be wrong.
little_love_lolo (4 stories) (33 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-21)
I'm with DeviousAngel. I would LOVE to see that CCTV footage. Of course I'd understand if the owners are a bit iffy about it generating publicity, but as long as you don't reveal the name or town, no harm done, right? 😉

This is a great collection of events! Hope to hear more about it!
creativeway (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-21)
Do you mind if I use these stories in a TV Script? If you let me know the Hotel and your name I will credit you.
Cheers,
Ron
Creativeway [at] shaw.ca
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-21)
EnglishLad, you have the ability to post links to video up here, and possibly even actually post the video itself to the site if you contact the mods. Do you think you could get a hold of the owner and get a copy of the tape so you could do that for us? I think it would be amazing to see that footage for myself!
jrthompson (3 stories) (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-21)
All these things that have happened sounds exciting 😊, and scary at the same time. Thanks for sharing this story. I read from top to bottom. 😉
EnglishLad (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-21)
First of all can I say thanks for all the comments, I'm pleased you have all taken such an interest in my story!

[at] deviousangel, they did keep the footage of the footprints, they recorded it onto hard disk as the CCTV runs out every two weeks so my manager has it at his house!

[at] Nysa, what taz said, a spanner is like a wrench. They use it for altering the gas canisters in the cellar to change the pressures on the barrelled beers!

[at] irishguy see my comment above to devious. Its strange, the only place they don't have CCTV is the cellar. Which is in my opinion the most haunted part! I think that was largely due to cost though, as to get into the cellar you have to walk past 3 or 4 cameras anyway! In sure they would find something if they had it there...

[at] jav, thank you very much! I'm so pleased with the response from everyone:)

[at] beaut, I'm sure I will. Give it a few months and I'll have something to add to it!

And at all, I don't want to over exaggerate and say something happens every day. I usually go into work and nothing happens: except the figure out of the Corner of your eye. But I've been working there for around 2 and a half to 3 years, and there's an occurrence every few months! I'm sure I'll have something to add to it soon:)
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-21)
Great story Englishlad 😁 Loved it right from the begining until the end, I was so into the story that I didn't even realise the length of it!
Just hope you have more events to share with us in a near future. 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-21)
EnglishLad,
Welcome to YGS! And let me tell you, your stories are just wonderful. I enjoyed reading every word. You have a great writing style, it was so much fun reading that I was almost sad when it ended.
Thank you for sharing, and I do hope we hear more from you in the future.

Jav
IrishGuy (30 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
Great stories! I'm just wondering where is that amazeing video footage, it would be the real deal to see that for sure. Perhaps if you take a few photos when you have the time some interesting things may show up. Thanks for shareing!
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
englishlad great post really enjoyed reading it.
Have to say that there was no need to say sorry for it being a long one, with all the info you have in there it needed to be a long one. And well done you for getting the info to add to the stories, as you can see from the comments a bit of info goes a long way lol.
Hope to see more from you if you have anything,
Carl
[at] nysa a spanner is what us brits call a wrench, hope that helps
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
Just one question. What's a spanner? I love the way you describe the shadow, it's just so... Descriptive is the only word I can think of.
Caz (342 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
Hi Englishlad, I too live in England [south]! Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post all these fascinating experiences! It's such a pity the owners prefer to keep quiet about their 'extra guests', as there's so much interest in the paranormal these days, that it would probably be good for business! I thoroughly enjoyed reading them and hope you'll let us know if anything else transpires! Keep your eyes and ears open around Halloween! Thanks again! 😆
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
That is a really awesome story! I especially love the part about the ghost footprints appearing in the cement on the CCTV. Did you guys keep the footage of that? I think it would be amazing to see, or the footage of the bags opening. That would bring in some serious business from paranormal enthusiasts I imagine. The story about the bodies being brought in from the cemetery, that actually does not surprise me. I read up a bit on medicine back in the 1800s, and how cadavers were in short supply. I can think of at least one high-profile case where doctors would pay body-snatchers to plunder fresh graves for bodies to use in medical research or in educational lessons. It was a very macabre and unorthodox practice but I think without it, we might not be as advanced as we are today in our knowledge of anatomy and such.

Thank you for sharing!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
EnglishLad: Thank you for posting this... I love stories from the UK, and specially haunted pubs/hotels...Well, castles too 😆...Oh who am I kidding, I love to hear about all of it LOL...

Please keep us posted on the happenings, and again thanks for posting!
EnglishLad (1 stories) (2 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
Not really - It is a small family run business and I don't think they want the publicity for it! The hotel is very eerie, but the bar and restaurant are fine. I would rather not give the name out as I haven't asked for permission to write this story, although I'm certain that if you search for flooding in Northumberland around 3-4 years ago you will get the name of the town, and there are only 2 hotels! I'm pleased you enjoyed it!
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-10-20)
This is amazing! Has your pub gotten any publicity from the hauntings, since it appears to be so well known and frequented by ghosts? What I find astonishing is that the people in your stories seem to be very accomodating of the spirits, even the patrons of the bar and hotel. None of them sounded terrified, but then your spirits sound more playful and benign, as if they simply want people to know they're there. If you don't mind me asking, what is the name of the pub/hotel? It sounds very interesting and I wonder if there's been anything else written about it due to the hauntings? Thanks for posting!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: