You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Huber House Encounter

Real Ghost Stories

My Huber House Encounter

 

My name is Harry; I am a self-employed carpenter from Aberdeen, New Jersey. I am and have been fascinated by ghosts since I was a kid, but in the last few years I have been experiencing some strange occurrences while at work and wanted to join a local group I could share them with without getting looked at like I'm crazy.

Being a home remodeler, I often find myself working in a lot of older homes. Sometimes I have had strange feelings and other times I have heard and seen things that I can't explain. I'm sure that some of my experiences are self-induced, but there are those I know are not. A perfect example happened in the house that lies at the top of the hill in Huber woods and a local park that once belonged to the Huber family during the Revolutionary war.

It was about 9 am on a brisk, sunny day last winter. We were in the middle of remodelling a bathroom on the second floor in the newer end of the house. I was alone and ripping out an old window while waiting for my co-workers to arrive with the new one. My mind was on my work and not ghosts at this particular time. As was our arrangement with the homeowner, we were not to knock on the door when we arrived in the mornings, we were told to just come in and do what we needed to do because she was unable to hear us knocking from her room (there was no doorbell). Typically I was the first to arrive and would quietly go up and get ready for the day's work and eventually the lady of the house (I'll call her Mrs. Wilson to keep her identity private) would peek her head in and say hi.

So, this particular day I was tearing out the old window as I said. While I was pulling out the lower sash, I distinctly heard the door behind me open and a woman's voice exclaim "Oh!" I assumed it was the homeowner and she was surprised to see me taking out the window. I turned around to say hi and found there was no one there and the door was closed! A chill ran up my spine and the hair on my arm stood up. I got pretty creeped out. I continued working but felt as if someone was in the room with me until my co-workers arrived about an hour later.

Over the next few weeks, I tried working with my iPod on to try and ignore the uneasy feelings I would get every day working alone in there. Eventually, I figured that I had to confront my fear and face whatever it was that was hanging around me every day while I was alone in the house. So one morning I spoke out loud saying something to the effect of "I'm only here to fix your house, if you leave me be I will finish up and leave so I don't bother you anymore." From that moment on, I was left alone. I never felt anything in the few additional weeks it took us to complete the bathroom. That was one of the creepiest experiences I have had, but I have had others in different homes.

I have a cousin in Kansas who is an amateur paranormal investigator herself and she tells me that our family is sensitive to this kind of thing; I am beginning to believe her!

I have has several other experiences in other homes that I cannot explain, but I will add them another day. Thanks for reading my account!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, warhammer2000, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-22)
warhammer2000/harry very interesting post thanks for sharing and as you can see no one is laughing at you here.
Really liked the idea of a spirit being suprised to find you removing a window (the "oh!" you heard) and then watching everything you did after that until you explained what you were doing there and this seamed to ease things for the spirit.
Looking forward to reading more from you
And as for moongrims comment would surgest bypassing it as "un~helpful" there is no information that could be used in a way that he is getting at,
Anyway enjoyed this one and welcome to the site
Carl
Scorp2011 (18 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-20)
Harry--Perhaps Moongrim's caution is pertinent, but I doubt many who visit this site have larceny on their mind. I like your story for its low-key event and certainty.
I'd wager with your interest and your radar properly working, you'll have more to share with us who know you're not nuts. ~ James
reneespring (148 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-20)
Moongrim, if no one noticed the info before, now everyone will, thanks to you. You have helped a robber or worse to break into her house by saying what you said. Geeze you even made it easy by giving a google map link. *rolls eyes*
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-20)
While I agree we should all be careful about what we post online, I don't think that warhammer posted anything inappropriate. There is no reason to assume the homeowner mentioned was an "old lady," and just because she was the only one there when he arrived each morning does not mean she lives alone. The only info he gave that a person walking past the house could not figure out is that the doorbell does not work & the house had some remodeling done, neither piece of information makes the house more desirable as a target or easier to break into. I think the poster was very responsible when choosing what information to share about someone else's house.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
A perfect example happened in the house that lies at the top of the hill in Huber woods and a local park that once belonged to the Huber family during the Revolutionary war.

Typically I was the first to arrive and would quietly go up and get ready for the day's work and eventually the lady of the house (I'll call her Mrs. Wilson to keep her identity private)

It was about 9 am on a brisk, sunny day last winter.

(there was no doorbell).
So a house with an old woman, possibly living alone in it, in Huber Woods New Jersey near Aberdeen. No doorbell in the place, and received some bathroom renovations last winter (2010-2011).

I'd recommend that you try and give away LESS info. As someone could use said info, to pry into the Lady's secrets at the very least, and said someone could check the local City Hall for any renovation project permits...

Http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
Your line of work does give you a unique opportunity to observe paranormal situations from the outside, so to speak. That is, with no preconceived notions about the residence. I will be interested to read more of your accounts.
stephyw2001 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
Nice story! My boyfriend is a carpenter too. Unfortunately for me, because of this, he refuses to let me buy an older home. He claimes the way the framing was back then is different than now, and that they'd go up like "a match box". 😢 Its a shame, because I love those older homes, so much more character than these newer homes have.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: