You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Imaginary Friends or Very Real Spirits?

Real Ghost Stories

Imaginary Friends or Very Real Spirits?

 

I've been wondering lately if most kids who supposedly have imaginary friends are really just talking with ghosts? It happened with my cousin's daughter last year and now I'm seeing it with my daughter.

A month or so ago, my 2 year old started saying 'hi' and then talking gibberish to the ceiling, every once in awhile when I was putting her to bed. It always started spontaneously whether we were talking, reading a story or singing. One night, it happened and then a few hours later I heard her whimper a bit and then very clearly and loudly (we still use a baby monitor) say, "No, no, no!" When I went into her room she was sitting up scowling and talking with someone.

Fast forward. On Friday night she did the same thing again, only this time she said, "Hi Brian! Hi Brian!" It was very clear and audible. I work with someone named Brian so I dismissed it to myself and chalked it up to her practicing the name. Then the next day, we were out in the backyard, she was swinging and started saying, "Hi Brian" again. Still didn't think much. Then last night, putting her to bed and again she says, smiling and looking up at the ceiling, "Hi Brian! Hi Brian! Night night Brian. Night night Ga Ga..."

And then it hit me. I don't think it is the Brian I work with she is talking about.

#1) Let me first explain that my niece and nephew always called my grandfather "ga ga". He has been dead for several years now. He died before my daughter was born. When I show her pictures, I call him "Grandpa" because we call my dad (her grandfather) "Papa" so there really isn't any confusion. My niece and nephew are older now - my nephew no longer refers to him as "ga ga", but my niece still does because she is autistic with a speech impairment and that is easier to say. They have both insisted they have seen him since he passed away. At Christmas this year, all of the photographs taken here in my house were filled with white orbs, and the largest ones were clustered mostly around my grandmother, "ga ga's" widow.

#2) Early last week, a close friend and coworker had her 30 year old son, Brian, commit suicide. Since then, things have been horrible for her of course, so I have been working a lot and doing everything I can to cover for her at work, as well as talking with her family a lot, making food, buying groceries, putting his obituary in the paper, getting her in touch with another friend whose daughter also committed suicide last year, etc.

So when I put #1 and #2 together, I got goose bumps. I asked my daughter why she told Brian and Ga Ga night night and she just giggled.

The obituary and cards from the funeral home (both with his photographs) have been laying around my house for a few days now. When the babysitter saw me pick up one of the cards, show it to my daughter this morning and say, "Who is this?" to see if she would say, "Brian," the babysitter told me 1) She had started saying "Hi Brian" out of nowhere the other day while outside swinging (babysitter also assumed she was just practicing the name of the person I work with) and 2) Had been carrying around the cards and obit all week and saying "Brian. Brian..."

This never seems to happen when my husband is around, but he completely believes me. He however thinks the Brian part is implausible because his spirit would be too confused to come here to visit after just committing suicide. Keep in mind I don't know Brian - have only met him once since he lived out of state. But my thought is that if it is him, he might be here because he knows how hard I have been working to help his mom deal and help his family in any way I can.

He was bipolar, but from what I have been told, was a very loving, gregarious, yet gentle soul. He was very much into music, nature, loved his dogs, loved his family and friends with unparalleled passion, etc. Maybe he wants to thank me? Wants to let his mom know he's ok? She doesn't have any other family or close friends who have children as young as my daughter at home so maybe this was the easiest way to get close to her?

Any thoughts? Should I do anything to help them move on if that's who they are? Should I feel concerned? Comforted? Should I ever try to share this with Brian's mom? (I would never share it now while she is so unstable, but I'm wondering if it might be of some comfort to her down the road if she doesn't think I'm crazy.)

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rayona, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

SarahW (1 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-11-07)
I see you wrote this post a couple of years ago. I would be interested to find out if you have had any further experiences like this with your child. Sounds like she is very sensitive. I was a sensitive child myself and just found out that my childhood imaginary friend was my mom's great uncle and now my Spirit Guide. If you would like to read the story, it is on my blog at: http://asylumtosuperhero.wordpress.com/ I hope you sorted everything out with Brian and gaga. I know how confronting it can be to have experiences with the other side of the veil. But I hope it will begin to happen more and more!
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-09)
Dear rayona,

You are welcome. Your daughter (wee one) could not be blessed with a better name or parents. Her parents also both have great taste when it comes to "girl name" selections! 😉
rayona (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-07)
I appreciate all of your insights. I agree that children don't yet know that there is any judgment on what they are seeing, so they don't question it. It is what it is. Then we grow up and get like me, who was afraid to share this story with people because I was sure they would think I was nuts.

It has continued to happen, but not with the frequency it happened when it first started it. She definitely sees them outside of the house as well. A few days ago we were at the playground. She was trudging up the stairs to the slide and stopped suddenly, tossed her head back, looking up in the air, started giggling and said "Hi Ga Ga!" and then continued on her way. Gave me chills.

Abby, thank you for your thoughtful comments. Another friend had reitterated the same about Brian's mother being open to receiving messages from him and had talked with her about that very thing before any of this had ever happened. I do believe I will share with her once she is in a bit more stable place.

And ironically... The 'wee one' who is seeing all of this, is also named Abby. 😊
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-02)
Dear rayona,

Your wee one is seeing and conversing with those who you have mentioned who have passed on, namely ga ga and Brian.

Ancestors who have crossed over look out for all family members and do come back for check-ins, help-outs and for moral support. Unless of course, if they are earthbound, then they will come back for needed help and sometimes, not meaning to, they will draw off their own family member(s) energy in order to return to the ways of the living. In both latter cases, the earthbound ancestor needs help to move on. They have already lived their life and their family member(s) has or have a right to live their own life or lives attachment free.

In your case, it is quite possible that ga ga has returned from the other side to check-in and watch over your family. Children are more open to such visits. By your story, he means well and is there visiting with love.

As for Brian, you have opened up a two way beacon of light and communication which has drawn him to you and your wee one. Obviously, by your description his mother is much too distraught to be open to his communications in either 3D physical manifestations or within her dreams. This is why he has showed up at your door and has chosen to show himself to your daughter. Ghost and spirits go to those who will give their presence their attention. You may just want to relate your story about Brian to his mother, and try to convey to her that this is his way of sending her a message. The best thing that all can do for Brian is to send great love and prayers of intention to him and for him based upon their own personal belief system and to send him over to unconditional love. At some point his mother will have to come to terms with this on her own. It is good to help others, but you must also take care of yourself in all ways, physical, emotional and spiritual. It is between these two souls, and you are but the go-between or messenger. I sense that all will be well with time. Please send her in the direction of her own faith and ask her to open up her heart for in-coming messages and signs from her son. All will be well for both souls, and all is already well with you and your wee one.--Abby
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-01)
Young children haven't had their minds polluted by societies judgements of what is real and what isn't. They see things through a very open mind. If only we all could see what they do. I believe that these spirits will move on of their own accord in due time. As stated by redone just keep a watch on your child and ensure nothing is harming her and all will be well.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
redone1867 (4 stories) (37 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-30)
well I think you are right. I have seen my grandmother and had conversations with her as a child and still sometimes do today. The odd thing is she passed when I was two and didn't really speak, also was said that I was to young to remember. Children see more than us because they are way more perceptive and have no clue what impossibele is. We as adults however tend to develope that thought but it is very likely she is seeing both. Do not be alarmed by this at all. I think it is the woman's son looking after you and your daughter to thank you for the help. I would say wait until things have calmed with his mother and then reveal it to her. It may comfort her. He may also be wanting you to tell her good-bye for him. Just keep a look out on your daughter and see if she starts picking up on new words at a rapid pace and ask her where she heard it. You may be surprised, these are some of the things that had happened with me as a child. I was locked in a room at the age of two on accident and was to small to reach the door handle but some how as my mother says the door unlocked before she could put the key in. Keep a look out and don't be nervous.
Bon-Chance (good luck)
lisa
fizzylizzie (2 stories) (67 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-30)
wow what an interesting story!
I fully believe children see spirits more than adults.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-30)
Maybe your grandfather just wants to meet the little one he never got the chance to meet? I've heard a lot about little ones seeing spirits because they are really open to them at a young age. As far as that goes, I think adults have a lot more experiences but just think it's coincidence because they aren't as open or don't want to admit they've seen ghost.
realghostgirl (4 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-30)
thats strange because my friends mums boyfriends name was brian but he died.
then one day when I came to babysit her 3 year old boy he gurgled smiled and said hello dada
but his dad had died ages ago

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: