You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Sleep Paralysis Or Real Ghost?

Real Ghost Stories

Sleep Paralysis Or Real Ghost?

 

I have lived in my current house about seven years, its a two bedroom building and just myself and my husband live here. I have always felt something in this house, when we first moved in I kept hearing a scratching noise coming from our attic, we checked and there were no signs of any rodents etc, eventually I asked what ever it was to leave my house and the sounds stopped.

Over the years there have been strange events like my TV turning itself on, lights flickering, strange noises from outside and seeing people out of the corner of my eye. I have not been too bothered because it felt like whatever is causing this is quite peaceful. This was until last week, I have recently changed jobs and have an unusual sleeping pattern so not to disturb my husband some nights I will sleep in our spare bedroom, there is definitely something different about this room, the temperature can suddenly drop and it has a general eerie vibe. I have my two cockatiels in this room and quite often in the early hours they will get spooked and start flapping about. When I sleep in there I keep a dim lamp on because I am too afraid to sleep in there I complete darkness and I wear an eye mask.

Last week I went to sleep in the spare bedroom with my eye mask on and dim lamp, I was on my back and just drifting off to sleep when feeling slightly anxious all of a sudden I snapped out of drifting to sleep and woke up. I opened my eyes and could just see a small part of the room through a gap in the bottom part of my eye mask, I looked up and to my side and made eye contact with someone stood over me who instantly rushed towards me and was trying to strangle me through the bed covers, I couldn't move and all I could see was this person's eyes, even though this was all I could see I knew it was an older lady and I sensed nothing but pure hatred from this being towards me. It was over quite quickly and was terrifying.

In the past I have experienced sleep paralysis and have been attacked by shadow people so I put it down to this; that I didn't realise I was asleep. I told my sister about it and she has terrified me telling me it was a ghost and not sleep paralysis which could be plausible because this person was not a shadow. I clearly made eye contact with them and saw their eyes in full colour. I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar and if you have any tips on how I protect myself from this happening again?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, psychadelicpeacock, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-20)
It most likely to be both, when people intuitively pick up on a presence in their home especially if they carry a corner of fear in their sub consciousness it makes them more susceptible to bouts of Sleep paralysis.

You're not the first person to be strangled and you won't be the last... The goods news is, every one lives to tell their story, from memory it happened to me on one occasion and I think I busted out into laughter or just released the fear associated with it probably from reading too many stories here at YGS the night before? It vanished straight away, our minds are basically that powerful we can pull Freddy Krueger out of our consciousness and into our bedrooms if we sink enough into a delta state of consciousness semi awake and totally aware of our earthly surroundings, we can also dissolve the account of SP just as quick by coming to terms of understanding what it is that confront us... Our own "FEAR" playing tricks on one self.

Regards Daz.
MrsRizzo2429 (4 stories) (93 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-18)
I found this experience to be very interesting. I don't have any advice I just wanted to say that I enjoy reading your experience. Keep us posted if anything else happens

Sincerely Mrs.Rizzo
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-18)
elhub - from the site's "comments guidelines":

"...please avoid proselytizing or preaching, unless the author of a story specifically asks to receive feedback from that religious perspective. This site is not about religious beliefs, it is about actual personal paranormal experiences and exploring reality with an open and investigative mind so we can actually learn more about the paranormal, with the same empirical mind set that made science so successful in other fields."

I'm sure that you are a good Christian and very fond of your faith but this is not the right place for preaching nor are your beliefs the one and only explanation/solution to everyone's experience.
elhub (9 posts)
-3
5 years ago (2018-11-17)
Hello Psychadelicpeacock

I hope you are good. Let me get straight to the point. Sleep paralysis or "seeing" ghosts is nothing more than attack from satan. In John 10 vs 10:

 "The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." The devil is a liar. We as humans beings we are in a battle. A battle in the spiritual world not against humans. In Ephesians 6 vs 12:

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

I urge you to, pray and plead to the Son of God Jesus Christ. His name alone demons are afraid of Him. Have faith in Him and believe in Him. When you feel that evil entity is near you call upon the name of Lord Jesus Christ. If you want to talk to me and get more information here is my email address: shortbread2993 [at] gmail.com

May God Jehovah protect you.

Shalom

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-08)
I think there may be more to many SP episodes than simply neural misfires. Just like some dreams are more significant than others. This is strictly unscientific, of course, but my theory (and I say "my" not because I presume to be the only one who has ever thought this) is that the dream state makes us particularly vulnerable to the influence of various types of paranormal entities/forces. As there are different levels of sleep, perhaps different entities can effect us in each.

If you have a history of feeling uneasy in that space, there is a cause for it - trick is determining whether it is mundane or paranormal. Are there many electronics in, directly below, directly above or just outside the window of the room? Many electronics and appliances produce significant electromagnetic fields (EMFs) that can cause feelings of unease. If that's the case, they may be at fault for not only your waking feelings but your body may have then created the dream to explain what it was feeling. It is significant to keep in mind that though emotions can generate physical effects (i.e. Nervousness causing a stomach ache) the body can also translate false emotions from physical effects (i.e. Finding yourself inexplicably nervous when experiencing indigestion from eating something that simply didn't agree with you).

However, if everyday causes can't be found... Time to turn to the paranormal side. Have you researched the history of the home? Any previous residents who passed away there? Could be that the old woman you saw did not in fact pass at the home but wanted to - perhaps she had lived there for quite some time and wanted to stay but was forced into a group living situation by family. The event in question may have occurred before the construction of the present home. The old woman may not be the spirit of a specific individual but simply a manifestation of something negative hanging about in there.

How do your birds typically behave in that space? Maybe move them elsewhere in your home and see if their behavior changes? Have guests ever experienced anything while staying there? Has your husband ever tried passing an evening there?

In any event a cleansing according to your beliefs followed by a regular schedule of follow up cleansings for a while couldn't hurt. Keep the room bright with sunlight and well swept. Place pictures of loved ones about to increase the positive vibes. Depending on your beliefs, anything and everything from icons to crystals can be added in to claim the room as your own and banish negativity.

Good luck and keep us posted ❤
Cuddlebear (4 stories) (173 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-05)
Hello PP (Also dig the name - great)

Very scary regardless of whether it was SP or a spirit of one kind or another.

I'm a tad curious about this attack. You said it was over quickly. How did it end? Did the entity just vanish? Did it back off? If it vanished did you feel pressure on your neck as or after the entity disappeared?

I hope you don't have any more confrontations.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-04)
I find I don't get as many episodes of sleep paralysis if I sleep on my side instead of my back.
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (308 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-04)
https://www.yourghoststories.com/user-profile.php?user=8155 here's our member Rooks page, that has his cleansing method on it. I hope that this is helpful for you, and wish you the best.
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (308 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-04)
First off, welcome to YGS 😊 I'm curious why after living in your home for the past 7 years, why whatever this thing may be, is just now being aggressive towards you 😕 it seemed that whatever was there that you felt before, was content for the most part, at least from what you've mentioned on it. One thought of mine that comes to mind, would be that maybe whatever it is, prefers to reside in your spare room, as you've said that there's always been an off vibe to it. So maybe with you deciding to sleep in this room on occasions, it might not like it, as it might view this room as it's own personal space, that to it, you're disturbing. That's just a theory, so I could be wrong. Have you ever learned the history on your home? Maybe something happened there before you moved in, that might shed some light on what is in your home. As far as what you can try to help your situation, that is if this is indeed not just a normal sleep paralysis, we have a member on this site that has a home cleansing method on his page, that may be of some help. I've heard a lot of people on here swear by his cleansing method, and has had successful outcomes in ridding their homes of bad spirits. This cleansing method is not based off any religion, so whatever your beliefs are, shouldn't be a problem in trying out this cleansing. If this is not sleep paralysis, I think this would be a good choice in what to do, that hopefully will help your situation out. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, and I hope you keep us updated on what's going on.
DeliverDawn (5 stories) (45 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-04)
Hi psychadelicpeacock (love the name, by the way xD),

I think something to consider is that not everyone sees shadows during SP. Some people have reported seeing the girl from Grunge, others report hearing--but not seeing--zombies, others say they were abducted by aliens...heck, when I experienced it, literally nothing happened except me freaking out that I couldn't move, haha

So just because you could see the eyes doesn't actually mean it was a real paranormal event. If the rest of the experience followed typical sleep paralysis happenings (i.e., you couldn't move), then I think it's very safe to say that it was just SP, and there is nothing to be afraid of.

On the other hand, anything is always possible. Can I ask: have you ever thought of WHY that specific room seems so eerie? Has it always felt that way? Do you think there's any chance at all that it might just be your imagination, because you previously haven't spent a lot of time in there? Alternatively, have you considered that maybe there is more than one spirit on your property, and one of them might not be so friendly and playful?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: