You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Parent's Cabin

Real Ghost Stories

Parent's Cabin

 

As an aside before I begin, I'm bringing this up now instead of later because I've mentioned it a few times in different comments. It breaks my rule of sticking to chronological order however, so I do apologize for that in advance.

In the early 90's, my parents bought an empty lot on one of the Great Lakes. Slowly over several years, we built the house. The parts we didn't build ourselves were the basement, the skeleton of the house, and the furnace installation. Therefore, I can say with certainty that the house itself never had a death in it. Of course, this doesn't extend to the land.

In fact, given the history of the area with a known Native American war, for lack of a better word, which resulted in a small tribe being wiped out (this according to a posted historical marker) I'd be surprised if someone hadn't died on the property.

Everything went fine for the first year or so, and despite not liking staying in the room because of an incomplete ceiling and the lack of window blinds waking me up way earlier than I was used to, even my bedroom was quiet.

Quickly this changed however. I'm not certain how it began, but eventually I became uncomfortable in the room. At first it was minor like needing to keep the door open and having a bit of trouble falling asleep. Eventually it has gotten to the point that it feels like I'm constantly stared at from the open door after the sun goes down.

Of course, some of the events are more memorable than others. For instance, after I started sleeping in my Dad's bedroom when he wasn't up there too, I'd hear walking in the hall, down the stairs, and all over the first floor. Well one night it got really bad, and it was loud enough that it was keeping me up.

I told it that if it'd just quiet down I'd go home the next day. The noise instantly stopped. If it would have been a physical person walking around, the noise stopped so suddenly that the person would have been standing in one place the rest of that night.

The next day however, when I was calling to tell my parents I was on my way, Dad insisted I stay a couple more days so I could mow the yard again before going home. I kind of pushed to go home, but Dad wouldn't hear of it, and took The Tone with me so that stopped any more argument about the matter.

That night, the walking was back. It practically stomped down the hall, it ran up and down the stairs, and it never went on the first floor. The whole time it was doing this I heard laughter. It basically was ticked I hadn't held up my end of the deal, and it wasn't taking the fact my Dad forced the issue as an answer.

Before I begin the next event, I'll state during all this, my dog that was like a daughter to me could enter the old bedroom and stay there practically all day and be comfortable in there. Whatever the ghost is, it seemed to have no qualms with her.

Well, this next one happened about a year after the dog had passed from some odd condition that would cause her legs to splay out from beneath her if she stood too long. Even the vet couldn't figure out what it was.

The event started in the same manner night usually happens up there. I felt the ghost staring at me from the room and tried my best to ignore it. This night for some reason, it wasn't satisfied with the usual fare and kept intensifying the force of its stare. It got to the point I was considering leaving, and normally I never get to that point up there. All of a sudden, Boots, the aforementioned dog, was right there next to me. I couldn't see her, but I felt her so strongly that I absentmindedly tried to pet her before it dawned on me what was going on. All of a sudden I felt the ghost upstairs start as if she'd bitten it or something, and then quickly recede into the room not to be felt or heard from again that night.

After this, when I did go to bed, I joked with myself a bit trying to get over the shock of the whole situation, and patted where Boots used to love to lay on the bed. The bed in that area squeeked as if Boots had just landed there.

The final major event I'm going to mention, which compared to the others is actually kind of minor is I was in the dining room part of the front room when I felt something peeking over the railing on the second floor (the house is a saltbox which means basically a floor and a half). I looked up and I felt this new entity slink down behind the wall. I went back to my game of solitare and it again stood up and looked at me.

This went on for a bit before I got a mental image of what was going on. This wasn't the normal ghost I deal with. Instead, this was a young girl, I'd wager from the feeling I got about ten at the oldest. This up and down motion wasn't meant to scare me, she was actually playing peek-a-boo type game with me. After I figured this out, I kind of chuckled and said she was welcome to continue playing with me if she wished and for a couple minutes we did so. She then faded away, I told her that she could return again sometime if she wanted, but she has yet to do so.

What I'd like to ask is, I'm thinking of getting a few copies of those alphabetic magnets and putting them on the fridge. Then asking the most common ghost why it's hostile feeling towards me, and why it tends to hide when others are around. Is this a safe thing to do?

Other hauntings by teneki

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, teneki, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-12)
Teneki,
Maybe you could ask your father to help you with this situation? Who knows, perhaps the thing he wants you to find is at the cabin?

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-07)
It's possible. Don't beat yourself up over it though.
It's still your house, and he is the uninvited squatter. From ancient cultures to the present, it has been the custom to treat a guest with reverence and hospitality. This one wore out his guest credentials the night the stomping continued. He really messed up when he laughed out loud about it too. That was one reason I was thinking he may be a child. With the way he acts up, he deserves to be treated as a child. Can you imagine your parents' reaction if you were to behave like that at someone elses house?

Jav 😊
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-07)
Well, when I do someone wrong, I tend to practically go on hands and knees apologizing to the person. So I was weaker while apologizing. Maybe he looked at that and went "Hey easy target!"?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-06)
"Show no weakness". Act just like you would if it were a living being, as much as possible too. He stopped when you wanted him to the first time. Even if you hadn't made that deal I believe he would have stopped because of your tone of voice and attitude at that time. You were too tired to be messed with, your patience had run out. He knew that. But something must have changed in your tone when you spoke the next time, and he took advantage of that moment. Sounds like he's testing your resolve.
I could be wrong, I wasn't there. But guessing is what we do a whole lot of here. That's why I like these experiences so much. They're like a puzzle. You just keep trying to find the piece that fits.

Jav 😊
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-06)
I'm not sure what you mean by your question, but I read your accounts about your mother. I'm sorry to hear about her passing.

Yeah, I'm basically wanting to do like what she did with George, as she could reason fully with him and talk to him from how you described the events.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-05)
You mean, 'show no weakness'? That was how my mother dealt with it. She was barely 5'4" tall, but you never would have guessed it from her attitude with the 'unruly' type. She treated them as if they were one of her own children. Mostly when she was tired of the nonsense and they had pushed her too far. Read my Captains Anchorage stories. They're short, but they might give you an idea of what I'm talking about. My mom had a certain "way" about her. 😆

Jav ❤
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-05)
Communication is a major consideration at the moment, though hopefully part of that will be identifying exactly who I'm dealing with and their overall intentions.

Beyond that, I'd love for it and I to come to some sort of understanding that could take us from seemingly hostile to more amicable. Ideally, friends would be the result, but I'd be happy with it being more considerate. By this I'm not saying I'd take a hostile stance of course, just can't think of a better word for it at the moment.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
So, it isn't so much a question of identifying this spirit? At least not yet, correct? Rather open up a line of communication with it, and hopefully you will get that information directly from him? The shortest distance between two points is a straight line? Man, I hope you get some positive results. Don't forget to keep us informed on your progress, we live for that stuff!

Jav
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
I can agree with the pushy verdict. As stated in the account (dislike using the term story as to me that equates fiction) I didn't list all the events. One that could back it being pushy is I noticed it was late, I want to say 2 - 4 am, and I wasn't tired, so I just stated out loud to myself I'd stay up a while longer until I did get tired since I didn't have any time specifically I had to get up. All of a sudden, I felt it right next to me. It was angry I was still up.

So I walked quickly to bed and was "rewarded" to no footsteps that night. So we've both kind of listened to each other before.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
teneki,
Well, it suddenly struck me that he seems more pushy than anything else. Being so impatient with you for what? It seems more of a childish act, really. You know, stomping his feet to get his way, OR, perhaps the stomping is more to make him seem bigger than he actually is? The laughter is what got me thinking that he may just be "dressing big". You throw in some late night stomping, and you've got yourself a nice disguise. The little girl could be a younger sister. (?)

Just a thought...

Jav 😉
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
I did apologize to it, but while doing so I did say that I'd tried my best to comply. I think it understood as I did it after the night of stomping and laughing as I kind of understood why it did that.

As far as what the footsteps are like, I can't tell what it would have been wearing. There have been other non-cabin related experiences up there, including seeing a flag's shadow fluttering in a street light glow on the road with no flag nearby. At the same time, my nephew's phone went from fully charged to dead. This wasn't at the house, but on the same street.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
But then again... What do these stomping noises really sound like? Can you tell if this spirit is wearing a pair of hard soled shoes or boots? If so, you may be dealing with a settler or military man. This doesn't change the fact that your broke your word. However, you would be more within your rights as far as making demands goes.
Just a thought. 😉

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
teneki,
Let me see if I've got this straight. You are not sure who this spirit was. But the one thing you do know is that a Native American tribe was wiped out in that area? You made a deal that night, and said if the noise stopped, you would leave the next day. You didn't leave. Doesn't matter the reason, you broke your word. You owe this spirit BIG. Especially if it turns out to be a member of that tribe you mentioned. Before you ask it to communicate, you need to make an appropriate offering. An apology and a show of respect are in order here. You have to mean it, really. You cannot make a deal and break it like that. A deal is like a treaty. (Man! I didn't want to say that!) Asking this spirit to come back to the table without acknowledging what you did won't work. Take all the blame on yourself, don't try to explain. Just make it right.
Good luck.

Jav
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-02)
I'm hoping to do it the next time I go up by myself. Unfortunately, taking care of my Mom, those times are precious and few, especially with my neighbor inviting himself along anymore.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-02)
I agree with Rook on this one. Personally, if you are feeling up to it, then I think you should go for it. Especially now that you know that your dog is there with you.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-01)
teneki,

I do not think the magnets run the same 'danger' that IMPROPER use of a Ouija board would pose.

In the case of the board individuals sit down and invite a spirit/entity to communicate with them. It's an open invitation for 'anything' to communicate.

The magnets will be put in place by you and then you are going to 'ask' one of the specific spirits at the lake house to use them. It's a closed invitation and only 'open' to the spirit/entity (s) that you 'know of' at the lake house.

Hope that helps, please keep us posted adn if you want or feel you need a cleansing method I know one and it's yours for the asking.

Respectfully,

Rook
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-31)
Not specifically as such no. I've talked with other people about how much I like it up there while being up there, but never fully directed the conversation at the ghost.
minimom (50 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-31)
Have you just come out and told your "guest" how you feel about the house and land? Explained that there is no need for hostility?

We live on what used to be Ute land. We've had our share of weird around here, oddly though never inside the house, just outside. One day I had finally had enough of disappearing tools and freaked out dogs so I just started talking out loud, telling them that we meant no disrespect but we lived here now and we promised to take care of the land, honor the burial mounds, and there was no reason we couldn't coexist.

It must have worked because we haven't had any problems since then. Although, they do like to freak out the occasional houseguest by walking past the windows at dusk.

It's just a suggestion.
walksthroughshadows (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-31)
Nysa makes a good point. The way I would look at is that what ever it is it, it's already there and doesn't sound like its going anywhere. There's really no way to tell if it's trapped there. I would say that if you go through with it treat it with respect like its a physical person your trying to communicate with and try and reach some kind of compromise. I think that at this point if it wanted to do something more it would have by now. Either way keep us posted on what you decide do.
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-31)
If it were a living person, I'd talk to it in order to find out if there's a way to come to some understanding. Obviously we both care deeply about the area, it because it seems to be trapped there, me because it is such a beautiful area and the house has so many memories in it.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-31)
I would say that's a judgement call teneki. On one side you could say that it is already there & is unlikely to be offended you asked it a question. But on the other-hand you already feel it is hostile towards you. If it were a living person would you try to talk to him or avoid him (or her)? As far as the "danger" of communication, you have already spoken to it, why would using a physical prop make that more dangerous?
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-31)
Basically, my biggest concern with the magnets is if it would be the same danger that using an ouija board is.
walksthroughshadows (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-31)
Good story, sorry to hear about your dog though.
As for the fridge magnets,I'd say go for it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: