You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Ghost Dog Is A Daddy

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Dog Is A Daddy

 

As noted in the other two accounts, I'm working through my encounters in the order I encountered them in my life. That is the main reason I'm sharing this one, since it's fairly uneventful, and could color my father in a worse light than is fair to him.

As I've said before, we live in the country, and thus there are strays all over. Some from growing up strays, some from idiots deciding to drop them off on the roadside. The large dog that is a part of the story was a stray in life, though we never knew why. He was a friendly dog, and I played with him a couple times before he discovered our little part pekingese/part poodle female. To put it politely, they ended up getting to know each other.

This enraged my Dad of course, especially given his old-fashioned, Southern, upbringing. He grabbed his rifle, fully intending to just scare the dog off by shooting near it. By the time he got a bullet in the rifle, the dog was across the road near a large tree, and Dad intended to shoot the base of the tree. However, it being night, and his anger, threw off his aim, and unfortunately, the dog paid for his affair with his life.

Dad grieved for the dog as he didn't mean to shoot it. He put the rifle up and went alone into the bedroom. With him, that is a strong indicator he cried as the man lived and breathed the old motto, "Men don't cry." He later came out and we all thought it was over.

The next night proved us wrong however, a light fog rolled in, and we saw a dog standing next to the tree. This happened a couple nights in a row, both with and without fog, before Dad decided he was going to go see what was drawing the dog to that place. We'd buried the deceased dog with our pets, and Dad was as stubborn about ghosts as my Mom and her mother were. He came back and told us that the dog must have ran away through the field before Dad got there, and there was nothing to worry about.

This went on and on until the puppies were born. Each night, standing by that tree would be the "unknown" dog, and Dad would swear up and down it couldn't be the dog he'd accidentally shot. He did joke a couple times that he wished it was because, in his mind, that would mean it wasn't as dead as he'd thought it was.

After the puppies were born, the dog appeared one last night, and hasn't been seen since. You could argue that the dog was a normal dog, but why would a normal dog be drawn to the specific spot the other died? There was no meat there, and even if initially there was, that would have been disposed of rather quickly. It wasn't the area, it was a hay field at the time.

Other hauntings by teneki

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, teneki, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

archangel123 (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-26)
Your dad should've spayed your dog. Then there would be nothing to worry about. If they are a lot of strays around of course I would spay my dog. I just hope the puppies found good homes. I feel bad for the dog that got shot. The dog reappeared because he knows he is a dad and he loved your dog just like the book Romeo and Juliet. No matter what a person does a dog do have another dog that he/she loves too and you just can't separate them. I'm sure he comes back to visit her and the puppies because sometimes spirits can let you see them or not because they also can control that energy power.
TsukiHirosue (6 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
Last month my family and I moved into a new house. One night, I was cooking ramen noodles on the stove, and my dog Pax was running around near my feet. In 2 weeks, Pax started acting strangely. Pax started biting me, refusing to eat, and attacking anyone who entered my room, including me. I gave up hope, when he attacked my Aunt's daughter. We called in a priest, who told us that there was an entity in my room, that was bothering Pax. We prayed and told the entity to go away. One day, to my surprise, Pax started whimpering at my door. I opened, and Pax was holding a blue sweater in his mouth. When we got to my old room, Pax started barking and growling. I saw a figure of a child standing near my bed, and told my parents about it. A week later, Pax was acting normally and I haven't seen the 'ghost child' ever since. But I still don't know who the sweater belonged too, there are no young children living in my house (besides the ghost).
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-11)
Well, we gave the pups to people we knew would take care of them as soon as they were weened, so Dad just pretty much busied himself deciding who would get them.

One thing I always found funny (as in odd and ha ha meanings) is, the dad was a German Shepard type, and the aforementioned mom. They had one puppy (which we gave to a driver for a Sunday school) that was the spitting image of a Saint Bernard. Not sure how the heck that happened.

Also, thank you Carl for the reassurance of not painting Dad in a bad light. That was the one reason I debated about skipping this, but it didn't feel right to as I'm trying to mention them all.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-11)
It is a sad story. Though I'm curios - what did your dad say after becoming his victim's pups grandfather?
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-11)
how sweet! He waited for the birth of his pups before passing on.

And to be truly honest as you say your dad did not mean to kill the dog just scare him so I don't think it paints him in a bad light at all.
Liked this one thanks for adding 😊
Carl
lizziebee1992 (2 stories) (37 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-11)
he just wanted to see his puppies before he passed on. That is so sweet.
InsomiaDriven (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-11)
It sounds as if the father dog did not want to leave their puppies.

<3
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-11)
Shaim, it is a sad story. Perhaps the poor doggie's ghost never left after he died.
😢

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: