You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Skeleton Mist Screaming

Real Ghost Stories

Skeleton Mist Screaming

 

This is my first post on here, and after my experience and reading a few others' experiences, I decided to post my own story and get some opinions on what this might be.

One night when I was 18-years-old I was laying in bed, wide awake and on my back. I know I was awake because I remember thinking how tired I was but wasn't able to fall asleep. So I laid there staring at the ceiling thinking to myself.

I always keep a TV on in my room and my bedroom door open where light from the living room dimly pours in. As I lay there staring at the ceiling I noticed that it started to get REALLY, REALLY cold in my room and REALLY, REALLY dark at the same time. When I realized this, I looked down at my feet and noticed a black mist just hovering at the foot of my bed. When I saw the mist, the amount of terror that hit me is unexplainable.

Immediately something started slowly pushing the cover in around my body, starting at my feet and moving all the way up to my shoulders. When the cover got pushed in around my shoulders, immediately I got SHOVED into my mattress. It felt like I was pushed down two inches into my bed with the bed folding in around me. All I could move at this point was my head, and I looked at the mist which slowly started moving from the bottom of my bed over me until it got right at my face. When it got to my face, a skeleton black mist face with no eyes, just eye sockets (kinda what you would think the grim reaper would like like) started SCREAMING into my face.

It was so terrifying I closed my eyes and tried to scream for my mom to help me. I tried four or five different times to scream for her, but this thing just kept screaming into my face and nothing I was saying was coming out. I finally turned my head to the side and started crying when it just let me go, and I immediately jumped out of bed and ran into my mom's room, trembling. I dared not tell her for I figured she would think I'm crazy.

Now I'm 24-years-old and married. Nothing like that has happened since except I NEVER sleep on my back again. But now, sometimes I will lay in bed and it will feel like my bed is shaking, and sometimes if I fall asleep on my side something will grab my arm or arms and hold me there and I won't be able to move. No matter how hard I fight I cannot move. I remember even once I couldn't move, but at the same time something was pulling me slowly off the side of the bed and I tried reaching out to my wife or screaming to wake her up but I couldn't. Then, just before I fell off the bed, it let me go.

Please, can anyone tell me if I am haunted or is it sleep paralysis or demons? Any opinions please would be great.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ArcticChill, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

johnnyrebelghost1861 (3 posts)
-1
8 years ago (2016-03-14)
Sir please go and get blessed and have them give you a blessed cross to put over your bed. And read and say the Lord's Prayer every night before bed hope this helps you out
vidya_amani (2 stories) (78 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-20)
Cyanne, I like what you said about a doctor believing in demons or entities outside of the person's own head... At least it means that the doctor won't say you are the one that is mentally ill, but the "demon" or "ghost" pestering you!
😆 😁 LOL

It would be unprofessional if the doctors says you are the one that needs help when the spirit is the true problem. Hahahaha 😉
vidya_amani (2 stories) (78 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-03-20)
Shell I rated your comment up about doctors not able to speak their "religious" opinion on patients and their mental health thinking about it is probably due to past witch hunts in that part of the world, yet it is sad that doctors have no spiritual opinion at all, nor are allowed to look into spiritual causes for things instead of just science... It is great if they can tell via scientific equations what causes the feeling of sinking into the bed, but it is sure as hell NOT RIGHT for doctors to classify people as mentally ill and psychotic because they can see spirits for real, nor make zombies of the "ill" by putting them on anti-psychotic drugs.

In my opinion, doctors have LOST FAITH in all sorts of spiritual things and therefore are not fully qualified to help people in that department, they could think they are helping through their violence and intolerance of what the patient is experiencing, but that only aggravates the situation, as their idiotic reactions are based on sheer ignorance and fear of the unknown. I will really sit back and laugh if a negative entity attached to a "patient" of theirs starts haunting the s*h*i*t out of them instead... It would be fun to watch how they are driven insane, and then maybe they'll overdose on anti-psychotics themselves - glorious victory of the spirit world over the unbelievers in their existence!

*the pills won't take anything away that is really there, so their pills won't scare away a demon hungry for their cheap blood!*

I have no respect for doctors who don't believe in Angels nor ghosts... Since they are all ghosts in the making.
Shell1982 (70 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-20)
BTW, if anyone is interested in scientific evidence for supernatural phenomena, there are studies in which OOBEs, the feeling of a presence, religious experiences and seeing your own doppelganger have all been recreated in the lab by stimulating the brain or by sensory deprivation. There may be others too that I haven't seen. This is why I am a sceptic - the human brain is the most mysterious phenomenon of all, in my opinion, and there is no need to look any further than the human brain to explain everything that happens to us. One day, we'll realise all these things have a perfectly rational explanation, but it won't stop us being any more amazed at them!
Shell1982 (70 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-20)
ArcticChill: in my country (England), that doctor would be immediately struck off and there would be a public outcry for telling you what he/she did. Doctors in England are absolutely NOT allowed to give patients their non-professional opinions, especially if it is a religious opinion. Not to mention the fact that any doctor who did not know hallucinations are part of sleep paralysis clearly didn't go to a very good (or, probably, any) medical school. That's the most shocking thing I've ever read on this site - demons, ghouls, and poltergeists included 😨
Kryodrache (3 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-20)
Sleep paralysis or not... I've always been of the mind that the restful state can open one's mind up more clearly to the spiritual part of the world. When I hear about people astral projecting, it's always in a state of deep meditation or sleep. So why would an astral entity not be able to visit you while you're asleep, as well? Just my two cents on the matter. I would have been terrified to see what you saw, here. Absolutely terrified. I can't blame you for your reactions. I would be shaking for months afterwards!
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-19)
I'm very intrigued with all the sleep paralysis studies that have been happening shell1982, and I dare say this story does fit into the sleep paralysis category neatly.
Cynnae (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-19)
This is a truly scary experience. I actually remember my friend telling me that she was having trouble sleeping one night, and when she rolled over onto her side and opened her eyes there was a white misty skeleton laying there next to her. She also could not move what so ever, but it did nothing but look at her for a short while before disappearing. She said it scared her silly, but didn't seem to be malicious.

To my understanding, ghosts don't usually look to scare you on purpose. They may give you a fright when you see them, but I have never come up against one that would scream in my face (and hope to never go up against one). While I'm sure there can be angry ghosts that will do such things, I would not rule out the fact that it could be something more serious.

Have you ruled out the fact that you may have been traumatized by the event and if you do experience sleep paralysis that you may re live the event due to similarities between the two? Or if it is true that you can hallucinate, that you may have watched a scary movie before hand? I say this mainly because it would be something to rule out in the equation.

I don't think it was particularly unprofessional that your doctor thought it was a demon. Where I live when I go for check ups I can ask my doctor for his opinion on things and he can give me a personal or "unprofessional" response. Dosen't mean hes a bad doctor, just that it's what he thought when asked about it.

I agree with Mystic_entityxx8, while I personally am not very religious, whenever there is something that feels a little off around me particularly when I am going to sleep, I pray for protection. It does help me and hopefully it could help you. Cleansing your house by burning sage is a way of ridding evil spirits or feelings also.

I hope that you get rid of this thing, it's not healthy to have something like that freaking you out at night.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-19)
A scream black skull made of mist? Sounds like something straight out of "The Fifth Element".

And I see that the God Gobbers are never too far away when it comes to the Bible-Thumping.

If the cross and bible are so damned effective, then why are so many churches haunted?
Mystic_entityxx8 (guest)
-1
12 years ago (2012-02-19)
I would suggest praying every night before you go to sleep, and hang crosses and bibles in each room. Also there are many ways to cleanse your house if you look on the internet.
It could've possibly been a dream. Do you remember watching a horror film before going to sleep? Could've been an over-active imagination too. Hope I helped 😊
Michelle ❤
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-19)
I did not know that sensation had been replicated in the lab. Interestingly, I have been able to achieve it during meditation. I first noticed it years ago in a yoga class I was taking at my college. At the end of the class we did the lay flat & relax thing, & while relaxing I felt like I was sinking into the floor. So at home I started meditating while lying flat on a mat sometimes & occasionally I get that sensation, though it only lasts seconds because I get excited that it has happened which kicks me out of it. When not accompanied by terrifying hallucinations & paralysis it is an incredible feeling. Obviously I don't know if it is the same physiologically but the sensation sounds quite similar.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-19)
If that were true arctic chill that would be a doctor seriously negligent of his duties as a physician. Now if he had told you that your symptoms were consistent with sleep paralysis & suggested that if you continued to have such issues you should go to a sleep lab, then said that as a Christian it was his non-professional opinion that you should seek the opinion of your religious leader than that would be more realistic. So it seems to me either you pulled this doctor visit out of thin air to support your story (somehow people trying to refute a physical issue explaining their experience get appointments with their doctor faster than anyone I have ever seen), or your "doctor" is a snake-oil salesman.
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-19)
Shell1982
Thanks for explaining the "sinking into the mattress feeling", it is interesting that this has been scientifically proved in a lab! I have suffered from sleep paralysis for years and had my first "sinking into the matress" experience only a few weeks ago. I have learnt over the years how to conrtol my attacks to some degree so I was able to snap myself out of it, but your explanations really help us SP sufferes get a grip on what is going on! 😊
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-19)
ArticChill

No disrepect for your doctor but if you google sleep paralysis symptoms, you will see that hallucinations are very often experienced by those having a SP episode. When you dream you have visions and images playing through your mind. Part of your brain is effectively still asleep while having an episode of SP so these visions and images can seem incredibly real.

I have experienced sleep paralysis since a young age and one of the symptoms, as such, can definately be hallucinations. Not everybody will experience this but many do. I have seen, heard and felt some pretty unbelieveable things whilst I am having a SP episode and I can eaisily see how people can put these hallucinations down to something paranormal. But honestly they are not real, just part of your brain still being in a sleep state creating visions and dreams.
ArcticChill (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-18)
I went to my local family doctor and told him about my experience. I told him my story and then asked him if this sounded like I was suffering from sleep paralysis. My doctor is a strong christian and also very knowledgeable in his practices. He told me that It could have been a minor case of sleep paralysis but that you definately don't see things when suffering from sleep paralysis. He told me he thought without a doubt that I had been attacked by a demon. This coming from my doctor, not a priest.
Shell1982 (70 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-18)
This is classic sleep paralysis. Being unable to move, unable to shout, happens as you are lying quietly/falling asleep... No doubt. The "being shoved into the bed thing" is what is known as a proprioceptive illusion - where a "crossed wire" in the brain leads you to feel like your body is positioned in a different point in space than it really is (in this case, a couple of inches below the mattress). This effect has been produced in a lab by stimulating a part of the brain called the pareitotemporal junction (or is it temperopareital? I forget) - the subject literally felt like they had sunk into the bed they were laying on until the brain stimulation was switched.

Don't worry, these experiences might be horrible at the time, but they won't hurt you 😳
vidya_amani (2 stories) (78 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-02-18)
Hello Crescent, I say there is nothing wrong with praying and believing... But have you watched the movie "Flatliners"? Julia roberts played the role of being induced to a Near Death Experience (NDE) and after she woke up and came back she seemed to have attracted her father's ghost, bringing his "spirit" with her from the other side... As a little girl she had this memory stuck in her head "not to go up the stairs and not to open the door leading to the bathroom where her father sat in some red light", her mother told her that the reason why her father committed suicide was because she "opened the door" and he stormed outside into his truck and shot himself.

The story continued which she was so stuck with this fear, and the door was left ajar, but she FEARED to open it, because of this "guilt her mother brainwashed her with"...with the result that her FEAR was preventing her from looking inside and seeing what she needed to see.

So the "red room" kept haunting her and her father's ghost, and she just came to a point where she just dropped the fear reached out to the doorknob and pushed open the door and what she saw was that her father was a drug addict sitting there injecting himself with fluid heroin... And then she was FREE of this guilt, knowing that her mother had lied to her, that it was not her fault that her father committed suicide but his addiction... She was probably six to eight years old when he took his own life and the "guilt" got imprinted on her mind, and in college (med school) when this "encounter" happened, imagine walking around with that FEAR and GUILT for about 10 to 20 years, unable to get rid of it... Because FEAR held her back from discovering the TRUTH.

Now point being made, maybe if you didn't FEAR as much the "spirits" that tried to come into your room, you might have found them carrying a message for you... The main thing about FAITH is to Believe without FEAR, to walk without FEAR, FEAR is the main impediment to spiritual growth.

Your childhood experience makes me think about How God knocks in Mysterious ways on the doors (hearts) of people and how FEAR sometimes hold them back from experiencing Him... It is true that God can use scary ways to bring something under your attention, or to bring you some kind of peace of mind, but would you "let Him in" trusting in Him while He makes something happen to you, trusting that He is with You and won't let anything happen to you without His knowledge nor approval?!

People usually get stuck in FEAR without seeking the deeper meaning, I always say: "seek the treasures in the trials"... Normally scary things that happen to you is just a TEST of Faith, and if you will see God in it all in spite of how unsettling it may be.
crecentblue03 (151 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-18)
Wow you got a problem here my friend. When I was little up until a was 8 I would be visited by very scary happenings the sound of someone walking up the stairs to get to my room but never saw them even when I turned the light on the sounds would still be there and everyone in other than me would be asleep. Sounds that could not be explained. These things happened pretty much on a nightly basis my parents said they were nightmares but they couldn't be because I am a night person and I was awake for them. What made them stop you may ask? I started praying at age 8 made God my friend and talked directly to him the way you would a best friend I talked to God not Jesus just strait to God and these happenings just stopped. This is what worked for me. Wishing you the best thanks for sharing your chilling story.
vidya_amani (2 stories) (78 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-02-18)
Some spirits use people to get a message through to other people... And sometimes the spirit won't stop bugging you until you got the message yourself.

Spirits often (if not always) want to be acknowledged, why else appear or make a scene if they do not wish to tell a story or to bring a message?

Sometimes they are misunderstood just seeking understanding, and sometimes to get a message through the only way for them to do so is to use some form of violence... I believe that those who have to suffer the "hauntings or paranormal encounter" are connected in some way with the spirit, whether it be through some karmic contract or whether Guardian Angels would allow these foreign spirits to intervene in the individual's space to teach them a valuable lesson in life... In which case I believe the Guardians would watch over this occurrence and won't make it go further than it is meant to go... Spirits are only capable of functioning within the "jurisdiction" of the the Guardian Angels, meaning that they can't come and intrude in an individual's auric space without the consent and supervision of the Angels' higher authority.

And sometimes the Angels would help other spirits by letting the individual help them, where the spirit in turn comes to help the individual as well... Basically it works this way with normal people or "living spirits" as well when it comes to personal boundaries only the Guardian Angels would set.

I always believe that nothing would ever happen to you without prior knowledge of your Guardian Angels so this could not have been something intended to only SCARE or HARM you, but something possibly devised to occur for your own good.

In this case I would say maybe the spirit was your Guardian Angel trying to get a message through to you, which might have been needed in a crucial state of your life hence the degree of "violence and invasion of personal boundaries" or this could have been another spirit authorized by a Guardian Angel to give you some sort of WAKE UP CALL (the screaming to wake you up as some kind of ALARM bell)!

The thing is when it comes to paranormal encounters you should never panic or just FEAR or else you would miss the message, you should rather calm down and ask "why is this happening to me, or why did this happen to me?". You were 18 at the time you are now 24 see how this message relates to your life then and now, and if you reached your goals:

Message "Get out of the bed, do something with your life, the longer you stay in bed the faster you dig your own grave (you becoming the bed, the bed appeared like a grave swallowing you into sleep) don't become the bed, don't make your bed your idol (God said not even the bed you sleep on is Him don't make it an idol or substitute for God), get out of the bed before you worketh your own death... Drop the laziness, face life, get a move on, make a difference, don't sleep your life away... Do you have no eyes? (Hollow skeleton eyes symbol) Being blind to Death and what it really means, living a life without goals and purpose not being a life worth living. Do something before sleep sweeps you away..."
masterthis106637 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-18)
If your story is true ArcticHill than you should get professional help if I were you. You should also go to a church and talk to a priest or a pastor so he can cleanse you're house. By the way my house is also haunted to this day but I am going to church soon so I can get my home cleansed. If you want to know about my haunting please read my story called "What Is In My House?"

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: