You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Screaming In The Middle Of The Night

Real Ghost Stories

Screaming In The Middle Of The Night

 

I have never really encountered a ghost, or I am not aware of it. But I have experienced quite a few strange things that are very hard to explain. This is one of them.

It happened about a week ago. I was having an unpleasant night, I had trouble falling asleep and my dreams were mostly nightmares. I woke up in the middle of the night. Even that was unusual, because I hardly ever wake up sooner than I should. But the strangest thing was the noise that woke me up. It was high-pitched and incredibly loud.

I sleep in a room with my guinea pig and I am quite used to the sounds it makes, so when I tried to find out what that noise was, I assumed it was the guinea pig. I had a hard time believing that, though.

The noise could be described as screaming of some agonized creature. It was unnatural and so loud that I heard it as clearly as before even when I hid my head under the blanket. I gave up the theory about my guinea pig making the sound, because it was just impossible.

The screaming lasted for several minutes. I expected and hoped that my parents would come and see what the noise was, since its source seemed to be in my room. I was sure they had to hear it too, because something as loud had to wake everybody. I waited, but nobody came to me. I stayed under my blanket and pillow, terrified, until the noise stopped.

When I woke up in the morning, I clearly remembered everything and there was no doubt that I had not been dreaming. I asked my parents about the noise and why they weren't terrified. They told me they hadn't heard anything and that it was probably just a dream. But I know it wasn't, it felt so real and terrifying. I only wish I knew what it was.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, amthedreamer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

General_Wong (1 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-03-02)
In my opinion, no one else besides you could hear this, They can do things like this especially calling your name in a very real voice (they copy my mom's voice calling my name at night while my mom is sleeping) My dad used to tell me if something calls your name listen and think carefully. He knows paranormal stuff and he knows how to detect presence of black magic, he help a lot of people. (but no thanks to cancer, he's gone to a new world, I hope it's a wonderful place)
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+4
8 years ago (2016-03-02)
Hi amthedreamer--There are multiple reports that have been collected by prominent psychical researchers over the years where an extremely loud sound (a voice, the slamming of a door, banging) is heard by one person but not another. Startlingly loud sounds that are heard from a person in one room while a person in the very next room hears nothing.

This falls in line with the theory (that I bring up on this site from time to time) of an audial apparitional sound, sent telepathically, from whatever living or deceased agent is sending it. It also explains how you could hear it while your parents didn't.

All of that said, your parents think you were dreaming and although you insist you weren't, there seems to be a hint of doubt when you state, "it felt so real and terrifying." Sometimes dreams can be shockingly vivid, especially for teenagers. I went through a period that spanned my childhood years through my mid twenties when I experienced incredibly unpleasant and vivid dreams. In my twenties my wife used to wake me quite regularly, as she could tell I was having profoundly intense nightmares. You state that, "your dreams were mostly nightmares", the night you heard the scream. Maybe, just maybe, it was another nightmare. The culmination of your restless sleep and previous bad dreams.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: