You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Circles And Fairies Myths

Real Ghost Stories

Circles And Fairies Myths

 

This is not a ghost story as much as it is an experience I can get no information about.

I live 3 miles away from Loughcrew Cairns. The Cairns are megalithic structures originally built about 4000 bc as burial chambers. Myself and two friends took it upon us lately to walk up it every or most days to loose weight as the climb up to it is very steep. Its a very good workout and when you get to the top you have an overwhelming view of the country from one of its highest peaks.

The days turned into evenings as our children would be in bed and it was easier to get somebody to watch them for an hour when they were in bed. The evenings get dark from 8 onwards so by the time we hit the peak it would be dark. We would usually do 2 climbs in the one evening. When we climbed in the dark, although we brought torches we would be a bit creeped out as it was an ancient burial ground and also because we thought it would be a haven for drug dealers as it is remote!

Our "fitter" friend would always show off by going 6 steps ahead of us and pant quietly to herself.

The first night we went up it was dark, we had our torches. When we got as high as the peak we would always walk into the burial ground and do a lap around. The only way you will know what it looks like is if you google image Loughcrew Cairns. There are 4 or 5 standing stones in circles which were graves then the major one in the middle.

We walked by the first of the group of standing stones and myself and my fellow "unfit" friend heard a loud male voice. It was loud but whatever he said was unrecognisable. None of us were talking and we turned to each other asking what we thought he said. We, hastily, said " HELLO?" after a few minutes of explaining to our fit friend who didn't hear it because she was about 8 - 10 foot in front of us, probably singing to herself in her own head! Also being up that high is extremely windy. We frantically ran down the mountain because we were just totally creeped out.

The next day was a beautiful day, neither of us were working so we said we would take on the mountain early and attempt to bring the kids. (we ended up carrying them the whole way up) When we got to the standing stones we had found flowers shredded in the stone circles with 3 - 4 smaller stone circles, obviously hand made inside the graves. The small stone circles were not in there the day before as we did climb it everyday. These flowers and stones circles were in all five.

My friend said don't walk in them as your upsetting the fairies or disturbing the dead spirits.

Does anybody know what these stone circles could possibly have been?

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Louise21

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Louise21, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-17)
Well, I'm a few years late to the party, but this one heck of an intriguing experience. Recently anything at all related to fairies has become fascinating to me, so I'm cruising through older stories. 😊
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
Wow. I perused the website Foxglove posted and you sure live in a beautiful place. I hope you count your blessings every day. Paranormal or not, I think it might be safer not to go up there after dark, even with 3 of you. Could be dangerous for various reasons. Good luck with your weight loss.
Cocoa (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
I'm going to agree with everyone even though I only JUST understand what they're saying about Old Hags and Fairies but, just saying my mind.

THANK YOU! Cocoa 😊
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
hi there louise21 have a question to ask,
Totally agree with the other comments here and did a little looking up on the net, my question is do you recall the date or roughly recall when it was this happened.
Only I did find a site that mentions the winter solstice and the equniox illumination
Just a thought but it could be something to do with one of these speical dates.
Sunju (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-10)
What an awesome experience:D I'm rather jealous. I agree with the other posters that it's likely the work of people, but that's why I find it interesting! It's very cool to come across the aftermath of such a ritual, regardless of it's validity. You should take some pictures and post a link to them!
Foxglove (23 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-10)
Also I just realized you said that the rings 'inside' the rings weren't there the night before... So actually I have no clue what that was (besides, like, temporary altars maybe?)...
Foxglove (23 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-10)
Hi Louise,

My vote's also with the Neo-Pagan groups being the culprit. Occam's razor, and all that. It's more feasible than fairies scattering all those flowers! (Not to denigrate the Little People, but they usually have better things to do).

I haven't been to Loughcrew (yet!) but from a quick perusal it seems that the 'stone circles' you are describing are actually the remnants of other contemporary passage tombs, like the large mound (Cairn T) which is still standing. Originally they would have all been turf and/or rock covered in a similar manner, and would have been used as ossuaries, with bones interred in the central chambers. Probably what's referred to as 'secondary burial', in other words the corpses would have been exposed to the elements outside and the bones collected and redeposited later. It's the same idea as Newgrange, or Maes Howe in Scotland.

The place names associated with Lochcrewe are interesting, too- the Cailleach, a scary Old Lady Winter goddess of the Celts, seems to have been associated with the area (she's always popping up!). Although that religion could have been significantly later than, and therefore had nothing to do with, the much earlier Neolithic phase in which the passage tombs were built.

In addition to the other links, this is actually a tour site but they seem to have a good archaeologically-minded section on each of the cairns in the complex, on the left-hand navigation bar:

Http://www.carrowkeel.com/sites/loughcrew/loughcrew.html

Hope that's helpful and that you now will go off and read lots and become an expert on Loughcrew:D
-Fox
Cocoa (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-10)
I just wanted to ask something that I'm curious about. Did it look somewhat like Stonehenge? Just wondering.

THANKS! Cocoa 😊
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-04-10)
Louise21: I found a couple of sites:

Http://www.mythicalireland.com/ancientsites/loughcrew/

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loughcrew

Seems these Cairns could attract some of the "modern" Druids and/or Wiccans/Pagans... Perhaps they were paying homage to those buried there... Very interesting... 😊

Thank you for posting!
crecentblue03 (151 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-10)
Well I am no expert but maybe it did have something to with do with a fairy circle? Or something to do with the ancient spirits that still reside there. I would research it maybe speak to someone from the local historic siociety. Well that's my advice sorry for the misspelling. Thanks for your story it was very interesting.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-10)
I may be from the states but it sounds as if there may be a 'coven' that uses the top for rituals... Or perhaps a Druidic (word?) Cult is doing the same... Ancient Burial Sites / Religious Monuments tend to attract people like that.

There is even a chance your friend is right and they are 'Fairy Rings' but everything I've learned about Fairies says their rings are either flowers or mushrooms growing in a circle.

Either way they seem harmless enough unless you disturb whomever is placing them there. If you do find out what is happening please keep us updated.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: