You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Henry, Jonathan And Loremia

Real Ghost Stories

Henry, Jonathan And Loremia

 

I heard from some of the ladies at work that the lot behind my house was once a cemetery. I went online and started researching the Old German Cemetery. The cemetery was used until 1890 when a city ordinance prohibited burials within city limits. It eventually became an eyesore after being neglected. In the late 1930s the city told the two churches (Lutheran and Reformed) that they needed to clean the property up. The churches decided to sell the lot to the city so a playground could be built. By the late 1950s the remains of almost everyone had been moved to other cemeteries in the area. 1957 they started to clear the area so a shopping plaza could be built. One of the guys working on the project dug up some bones.

I moved into my apartment about 4 1/2 years ago. I knew my house was haunted as soon as we moved in. The first ghost I knew about was the younger boy who would always make his presence known when either my sister or I were in my bathroom. I only saw him once. He looked maybe 13 or 14 to me and he was in a white button up shirt with short, dark hair. The older guy I always see is taller and he's always dressed well and looks like he is in his 50s-60s. There's also a little girl, I thought she was maybe 4 years old. When I saw her she was in a white dress and had shoulder length hair.

I decided this week to start researching the cemetery and the people who were buried there. I found out the names of all 400+ people buried. The records I found online had a little girl named Loremia (also spelled Leremia) Lucretia Fleeger. She was 6 years, 9 months, 10 days old when she died. When I looked in the public records at the library there was no record of her being moved to another cemetery.

This is the part that gave me chills and still does when I think about it:

I was calling the older ghost in my house Henry, until about a month ago I started calling him Jonathan for no reason. As I was walking out of the research room in the library, something in the back of my head was telling me to go back to the shelf and do a quick check that I didn't miss anything. I pulled this book off the shelf that had pictures of the people and places in Greensburg in the 17-1800s. We sat back down and started going through everything. We came to a picture and I instantly got goosebumps so bad that my skin hurt. The picture I was looking at was of Henry Welty Sr. He was a merchant on W Otterman St. He was also Henry, the older ghost who lives in my house. I checked the burial records of the German Cemetery and he was listed on it. So at that point I had two of my ghosts figured out. Not feeling satisfied, I checked the census records and found out that Henry's son (Henry Jr.) had a son named Jonathan who died when he was 15 years old. I am sure you can guess where Jonathan was buried.

I am now ok with everything. I know who my ghosts are and I know some of their stories. I feel better knowing that I am not as crazy as I and some others thought I was. It's amazing to know that I pulled these names out of nowhere in particular and was able to validate them. I also think that I may start sharing all my ghost stories on here. I've written down a lot of them and now that I know how amazing this ghost gift of mine is, I am comfortable sharing the stories with everyone.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Britney79, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Chewy_Love95 (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-13)
Do You Know How These Spirits Died? Greatt Story I <3 it. (: Please Keep Me && Us Updated On This Wonderful Story! (:
WeirdnFreaky (7 stories) (21 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-12)
Sounds like your ghostly friends might be still in the old cemetery area with bones that haven't been dug up. The Grandfather and the Grandson was pretty cool, maybe the trio were buried close nearby your home? Maybe they're finding a bit of fun if they did anything else to you 😁
Britney79 (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
Thank you guys all so much for your positive words! I live with my boyfriend who helped me with my research. We have shared a few minor experiences but nothing significant enough for him to change his views. My sister and I have experienced most of our "roommates". I have a book where I write all of my experiences, past and present, that I can remember. This was actually written a few months ago for my Facebook friends, and a lot more things have happened since. I can't wait to share my stories with everyone. 😁
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
hello britney79 and welcome to ygs.
Have to agree with the other comments here, looking forward to hearing more from you about your experiences and what information you have managed to find about your spirit visitors.
Well writen and interesting post, thanks for sharing
Carl
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
You say "we" at points in your story, suggesting you had help in your research. Did your helper also have personal encounters with your ghosts? Just curious. The idea that people's consciousness might linger around when they're supposed to go somewhere else worries me, although I read somewhere that there aren't many instances of hauntings greater than about 200 years old, so hopefully everyone eventually gets to where they're supposed to be.
adsouza (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
I like your approach here. Well done and well narrated. Looking forward to more from you.
😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
Britney79 - when I first read your story, I was very impressed with the dedication and diligence you showed by trying to find out who the ghosts are that share your apartment with you and what happened to them. So many people, myself included, are "comfortable" living with "our" ghosts and don't go those extra steps to find out who they were in life. I think Henry, Jonathan and Loremia must feel very honored that you cared enough to do this.

I just wanted to say thank you and I look forward to reading more of your stories. BTW, do you keep a journal? You said you have written down a lot of your stories. Just wondering if that means you keep a journal. If not, it's something Rook and I, as well as several others, do. It's very helpful in keeping track of dates and events. Also a great way of "proving" you're not crazy 😉
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
Britney79,

Welcome and well met. I enjoyed this experience very much and I'm glad you were able to Validate your 'feelings/sightings' with Historical Records.

Please share your other experiences with us, I for one would enjoy reading them.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: