You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Poltergeists / Physical Manifestations :: Growing Up

Real Ghost Stories

Growing Up

 

I was brought up in the suburbs of Columbia, South Carolina in the 70's and 80's. Not a whole lot of "spooky stuff" going on but I would like to share what I do remember and recollect now as an adult.

I grew up in Irmo SC, in a middle class neighborhood that was just wonderful. We had a large colonial house that sat on pond front property. My family were the second owners of the house. Nothing really happened with the original owners, nothing that would cause a haunting.

My earliest memories of something being "strange" or "off kilter" were my experiences in the upstairs bathroom that my sister, brother and I used. Many times I would be taking a shower and "feel" something watching me. I was scared to soap up my hair in fear that I could not see! I never saw anything but things would move from one place to another in the bathroom during these showers. I knew something was going on but did not know what. I thought at first that my siblings were playing tricks on me. I thought that my missing or moved clothes were the antics of them. I found out one night that this was just not true.

The season was summer and my family was at a local swim-meet. My older brother and younger sister swam on the team. Not my thing in those days, I wanted to fish. And fish I did!

I came home to a empty house. The others were at the Meet. Here I was, dirty as you can imagine. I had mud all over my legs and on the shorts I was wearing. I kicked off my shoes downstairs in the "mud room" as Mom called it. This is where you put your dirty "mud shoes" when entering the house so as not to track it around. From here I headed upstairs to get a shower. Nothing strange... Not yet.

I walked into the bathroom, took off my shorts and laid them on a seat beneath a small window that looked over the back yard. I started the shower and got in. I must admit that the feeling at the time was making my nerves crawl but I ignored it. The warm water was refreshing and the soap smelled good as usual. Back then, Mom bought Prell to wash our hair with. I cleaned all the dirt off of myself and then washed again knowing how it would not all be gone after the first washing. Feeling clean and tired, I turned off the water and pulled back the shower curtain. To my amazement, my clothes had been moved. My shirt was on the floor and obviously moved from the chair. I grabbed a towel, and got out of the shower, curious as to what had happened. The bathroom door was open, and a small trail of mud led out from the tile work of the bathroom to the hallway. Keep in mind this is not a small bathroom, two sinks and a large toilet area.

I dried off and walked slowly out into the hallway. I looked to my left. Nothing out of the usual. I looked to my right and saw a muddy trail all the way down the wall to the bottom of the stairs. At the bottom, of course, were my shorts. It was as if someone had held my muddy shorts at arm level on the wall and walked all the way downstairs with them, leaving the trail behind. This would normally freak anyone out, but what do I do? I freak out knowing Mom was coming home soon and I would get my rear end worn out if I did not get this cleaned up.

I did my best to get the red mud streaks out of the wall paper but was unsuccessful. I was even more unsuccessful explaining the whole thing to Mom and Dad, as I am sure you can imagine.

This was but one experience in this house.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Scott, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghostlover13 (19 stories) (191 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-20)
It is good that the ghost is not hurting you. 😊

That is exactly how my parents are. No matter what I tell them, they do not believe me, so why bother?

Great story! Hope to hear more! 😊
metalhed16 (14 stories) (119 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-05-14)
lol this story made me laugh... We have or had a little girl ghost in our house that colored all over my little brothers wall... Read my story I think its "The Pink Rubber Ball" not sure... Its there though... Lol I think you might like it

thanks for the story

god bless
Peteys_granny (1 stories) (36 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-14)
When I got to "I was even more unsuccessful explaining the whole thing..." I had to chuckle. Good story, Scott. I hope you'll write about your other experiences.
Adventure_Ms_Aqua (10 stories) (71 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-13)
Nice story! If your parents still live there, ask them to go in the bathroom! Then they'll see who really was telling the truth! I live in a sort of haunted house and my parents only believed me when my mom saw someone walk on the deck and when my dad heard someone walking on it. ^^ 😊
Lexiluca (8 stories) (78 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-13)
Oh, wow. I probably would have done the same thing (my first thought would have definitely been the fact that I was going to be in trouble for it), but I give you a thumbs up for not running away. That's an incredibly strange experience. I wonder why it happened. Something obviously wanted your attention.
Sorcha (59 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-13)
Hi Scott,
Wow that is very unsettling to say the least. I wonder if any of your other siblings experienced similar episodes in that Bathroom?
xx
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-13)
Wow, Scott! Great story! You say you have more, hurry and post them- that was a good one!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: