You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Silhouette Of A Man, Yet Made Of Light

Real Ghost Stories

Silhouette Of A Man, Yet Made Of Light

 

The reason I am posting this story is to try to gain some insight. I am a 25 year old man, and I still puzzle over what was seen this particular summer night.

I was about sixteen at the time. My friends and I often played manhunt after dark. It was a game like hide and seek, except usually there were more people hunting than hiding. Most of the time we played in my friend's back yard. He is about a month younger than me. I'm going to call him Arnold for the sake of privacy. We had been friends since I moved to that little town when I was fifteen. There were many nights I recall where we had eight or ten kids playing manhunt with us. On this night, however, it was only my sister, Arnold, and me. We decided we'd make the best of it and have fun.

As we were walking towards the apple tree we used for 'home base' in Arnold's back yard, I noticed how dark it seemed. It was as if every step I took, the dark around us got darker. I started to feel creeped out. I felt it really strange to be experiencing fear; we had played back there after dark so many times without any issues. As we neared the apple tree I decided I didn't want to play anymore. I didn't want to look like a chicken though. I finally worked up the nerve to tell them I was getting creeped out. Surprisingly, both Arnold and my sister felt very much the same way. It seemed that they too were not feeling right about being in that back yard that night.

We all were grateful to be leaving. We were about halfway back to Arnold's house (the apple tree is a good hundred yards from Arnold's house). I was walking to the right of my sister, Arnold was on her left. For some reason, I decided to look back over my shoulder to the place we normally played. At the same time, I saw Arnold look over his shoulder. Beyond the apple tree by about another 25 or 30 yards was a group of rather large trees. And moving among those trees was a figure. It looked like the silhouette of a man, yet made of light. There were no features on his face, and the bright light that made up his body did not shine on the ground or the trees. It was contained within himself. He quickly moved about 15 feet or so before disappearing. It terrified me.

I quickly turned to Arnold and said "did you see that?!"

He replied "that white thing?"

I said "ya. Run!"

We all took off running for the front of Arnold's house and the seeming safety of the street lamps. As we caught our breath, my sister asked us what we saw. When we described it to her, she thought we made it up to scare her. I swore to her it was true. We never saw that thing again, but we never played manhunt there after that night!

This is not the only strange thing that I've witnessed or experienced, but it is the one thing that I've never been able to find a logical answer for. Thank you for reading. God bless!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, The_Victor, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

1spooky (1 stories) (9 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
I have seen something that may be similar. The thing I saw was, well an inverted shadow. So it was luminescent but didn't glow outward. I was working on someone's house installing a dormer in the attic. I looked in at the top of the stairs and saw a figure, transparent without any prominent features. It looked like if a person cast a shadow that was lighter than the surrounding. It watched me and then turned and walked down the stairs. Not the first time I saw a light emitting shadow, but the most recent.
The_Victor (1 stories) (7 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
Rook,
Thank you for sharing this explanation. Believe me, my friend and I thought of everything. The only reason we don't think it was a person with a light is that the light would have shown on the trees and ground around it. This light was contained in the silhouette.

Pjod,
Glad to bring back good memories:)

Mizmimi,
He did live right next to a creek. The only reason I don't think it could have been mist is that there was no light source. However, I have considered the possibility of it being 'ignis fatuus' that somehow was in the shape of a person (there were some rotten logs there, too.) However, usually swamp lights are orange or green.

Islandu,
Thank you for sharing this. I've always leaned more toward paranormal stuff. I don't know much about extra terrestrials, but it's good to know that others have seen something similar.

Hiya_hayz,
Thank you for sharing this. It's creepy how many similarities there are between the stories. Neither of us ever saw it again. I would like to, and even tried to watch for it a couple times since then. I, too have seen 'shadow people' (usually out of the corner of my eye, I've never seen one well defined.) So maybe the shadows are just my imagination.

Thank you all for helping out on this one. You're awesome:)
hiya_hayz (5 stories) (66 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
Hey, I think I may have experianced that same type of thing a few years ago. Have you seen it since or experianced anything odd since then? Here is the link to my story, maybe we could compare stories.
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=11316
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
I may be villified for suggesting this, as this is a paranormal site not a UFO site, but this is reminiscent of some extraterrestrial encounters I've read about (think Budd Hopkins, Whitley Streiber, Raymond Fowler). Light beings are a feature of some close encounter experiences they've written about and the ETs are said to communicate telepathically. Perhaps they were sending danger vibes your way because they didn't want you coming any closer to whatever it is they were up to in the trees. Just a thought. If you're interested at all, it should be fairly easy to research this online. Also, there is a fascinating book by Raymond Fowler called The Watchers, which documents Betty Andreasson's experiences with light beings during apparent abduction experiences. There are many similarities between these and near-death encounters, as well.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
Thanks for the story. I have a question as well. Did he live near a water source of any kind? River, stream, sewer etc., and could it have been mist/fog from a cool stream and a warm summer night? I have no doubt it would have been a shock to see, and I would have been a bit shaky as well. Thanks for sharing.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
ah, the memories of "Manhunt" -It's nice to hear that kids still play this game. I have great memories of playing this back in the early-mid 80's. The thrill of storming the base, breaking through guards, yelling "freedom" as the captured members of your team scatter back into the night for another hide.
Victor, you've made some old memories come alive with this story. Thankyou.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-30)
Thank you for sharing... A question or two...

You stated the tree was approx 100 yards from the home and you were halfway back to your friends house... That gives us approx 50 yards. You then stated that you both saw something in the woods 25-30 yards beyond the apple tree... So by your reckoning the distance between you and the 'white thing' was approx 75-80 yards. It's after dark and if an individual was wearing a white shirt, carrying a lantern of some type... I wonder if it would 'wash out' his features and over that distance make him seem to be glowing from 'inside'. It's a great chance to conduct and experiment or two to see if what you saw can be recreated. All you need is a wooded area (after dark), 75-80 yards (so you can stand and observe), a few different light sources and someone wearing a white shirt (jacket...hoodie ect) carrying the light source in front of them with both hands... I think you can see what I'm getting at.

I'm not saying what you experienced wasn't paranormal, but there are many ways to test this one in an attempt to 'de-bunk' it before saying it was a Spirit. Thank you for sharing and if you do test it please let us know what you find out.

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: