You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Are They Still Here?

Real Ghost Stories

Are They Still Here?

 

Like most people, we went to a family gathering over the holiday weekend. Ours was at a home that Rob's (my husband) Aunt owns, that is a restored historical home that was part of the underground railroad. Now I don't know how she would feel about me outing her home, so I'm not going to say exactly where it was, just that it was in upstate Indiana. However, if you google it you WILL find it.:)

This house has ALWAYS been a favorite of mine, not just for what it meant to SO MANY peoples' freedom, but also because it's really a beautiful house. I always have Rob pull up slowly so I can take it all in. One of my other favorite things is, there is a ballroom upstairs, and it's always a very hot area of activity. As we pull up, I see his Aunt, his cousin Jada and her husband JT, and I tell Rob to just pull behind them. We get out and exchange pleasantries and start unloading the car.

I asked his Aunt who else was here to help, and she said no one, just those I named above. I said "hmm, ok then", and when she asked why, I told her that I noticed that the curtain was pulled back and someone appeared to be looking out from the window in the ballroom. She said that no one else should have been here, and asked me to get Rob and JT to go look. *As a side note, this isn't a house that she lives in. She let's teachers bring students on tours to learn about the underground railroad, and it's sometimes used as event space, so no one should have been inside.*

Jada and I decided to go up there to, just so we could see the ballroom. JT was first, followed by Rob, then me and finally Jada brought up the rear. As JT cleared the top of the stairs, we hear him say something to Rob, then Rob tells us to hold tight on the stairs as they just heard someone say "please, no", and a shadow run into the master bedroom. We are 4 stairs from the top and can just see them walking around, going in and out of the bedrooms and the bathroom. We were frozen on the stairs waiting for them to tell us anything at all, when they came out of the bathroom and said it was all clear. We really got mad and thought they were messing with us at this point, and told them so. They both INSISTED that they saw/heard someone, but couldn't describe any features.

They told us to come on up while they walked around a bit more just to make sure no one was up there, while Jada and I decided to go into the ballroom to look at the amazing moulding and paintings. As we walked down the hallway, we could hear what sounded like a string instrument like a violin, cello etc coming from the direction of the ballroom. Upon entering it stopped, but we did briefly see 2 shadows that appeared to be dancing, before they faded away. We could only assume at the time, that they must have been what the guys saw. I wasn't scared, but felt an instant feeling of love and devotion. And Jada was in utter shock, and just wanted to get out of there. If you read any of my other stories, it appears as though I may be an empath, which would account for why I reacted the way I did.

We walked out of the ballroom and met the guys at the end of the hallway. There is a small door at that end, and Jada said it was a passage way that led from the basement up to the cupola that they used for an attic. They said they saw "it" go in there, but it was locked and they couldn't get inside. Jada stated that there was no way anyone went in there, because the narrow stairway inside had decayed and that's why it was locked. (this presumably was the stairway that allowed those looking for freedom, to avoid capture until they could move under the cover of night) At that moment, we heard what could only be described as very quiet weeping from the other side of the wall, followed by fast and heavy footsteps up the wall and out of earshot. We all stood there looking at each other, but no one said anything until we heard the footsteps cross overhead and what seemed like back down the other side of the wall. I got an instant feeling of fear and sorrow, and even broke out in tears. Whatever it was, was very frightened and just wanted to stay hidden. Rob knows, but how do I explain to the others what was happening? I told them that I thought I heard his Aunt calling us, and Jada and JT headed down first.

When we reached the stairway, Rob asked me if I was ok, and I said I was. I just felt some sense of responsibility for what was left behind. I turned around and said, "You are all free now, there is no reason for you to be afraid, and you don't have to stay here anymore. Look for a bright light or someone you know, and they will take you home." When I turned my back to go down, I swear I heard a faint voice say "thank you kindly miss." It was so quick, and very well could have been my imagination, but I would like to think that they appreciated my kind gesture.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AppleSauce27, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-26)
Ooo, very, very cool! A house with that kind of historical memory is going to hold onto imprints for a LONG time. How interesting the mixture of joy from the ballroom, and sorrow from the wall - talk about dual-lives, aye? A home with all the appearances of regality, that kids the noble secret of having aided those being persecuted. Thank you very much for sharing! 😊
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-11)
That's what I assumed. I only hope that they have found the peace they were searching for.:)
AllieAllison (28 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-08)
Awwww...
The spirits were probobly (please exuse my spelling) the apperations of spirtis on the undeground railroad. The police might have cought them and that's why you heard weeping. Obviously your gesture of telling them was sweet. I don't think you imagend some one saying 'thank you kindly miss.' mostly because of the timing and the fact that thtas no tthe kind of english we use now.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-08)
Thanks for the comments.:) I have always loved going there, but find it hard to spend any great amount of time, inside. I LOVE the history as well, but the sadness sometimes is just to much to handle. She has quilts on display, that were used to let the slaves know it was ok to stop there. I'm going to get some pictures when I go back. We are going back for a 4th of July celebration, and I will be sure to let y'all know if there is any other activity. Thanks for reading.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-08)
Thanks for the story. It made cry for those lost souls. I hope that they crossed over and thank you for attempting help them. This is the first story that I read from you because I have been away from this site for a while so I will be going back to read the others.
Cristos0907 (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-08)
Wow talk about a great encounter. I'm sure you helped the spirits find their way home with your kind words Thank you so much for sharing. 😊
ind_83 (55 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-08)
Wow MizMiMi02, what a wonderful experience you had 😊. I always love to read your experience. I can really feeling the same feelings which you had during that encounter, while I was reading your story. It was wonderful. Take Care. God Bless. 😊
Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-08)
This story was pretty cool MizMiMi. That house has been through a lot. I have so much respect for the people that had safe houses for slaves. I really enjoyed this.

Thank you for sharing
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-07)
Your story is full of... HISTORY! 😉
It was really nice from you to help those spirits.
Thank you for sharing.
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-07)
MizMiMi

Another wonderful story! I had goose bumps when I read the ending. Lets hope these poor spirits found their way to the other side.

Thanks for sharing ❤ 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: