You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Here's Your Sign (a Bow For My Beau)

Real Ghost Stories

Here's Your Sign (a Bow For My Beau)

 

After I moved from my apartment on Ducharme Street in Hull, Quebec (see Ducharme Street Entity), I started dating a man named Denis B and I moved into his garden home on Jean-Dallaire Street where he lived with his daughter Stephanie and their little dog, Pookie.

Shortly before I met Denis, one of his closest friends, nicknamed Wolf, had committed suicide after struggling with depression. Denis and his daughter Stephanie were still grieving for Wolf and they frequently shared their memories of him with me.

Then the bombshell hit. Denis was diagnosed with cancer (Melanoma). However, he had other plans and he wasn't going to give in without a fight.

One evening, not long after Denis was diagnosed was cancer, my boyfriend's daughter Stephanie was sitting upstairs in her bedroom with her dog, Pookie. Suddenly we heard the dog barking frantically and a few seconds later, "Come here right now! I'm scared!" My maternal instincts kicked into overdrive and I FLEW into that child's room.

In the corner of Stephanie's bedroom, where the dog was staring and barking frantically, was a cloudy grayish-black mass that was shaped like the silhouette of a man with a visible head, torso, arms and legs but without any discernible facial features. I felt absolutely no evil emanating from what I was seeing and then it came to me in a flash and I just knew... That's Wolf and he's here to watch over Denis. I said, "Wolf, I know you're here and watching over Denis but you're scaring Stephanie right now." Pookie stopped barking and started wagging his tail. After a few seconds had passed, the cloudy grayish-black mass slowly started moving toward the bedroom door with the dog following closely behind it. Then...poof! Gone. The dog turned around with his tail still wagging and jumped back on Stephanie's bed. After that incident, both Stephanie and I were sure that it was Wolf but Denis wasn't convinced because he hadn't seen the apparition.

A few more months had passed and the Christmas season was upon us. We decorated our Christmas tree with beautiful ornaments and we filled it with little red velvet bows. It's a bittersweet memory because it was also around this time that Denis' doctors informed him that there was nothing more they could do for him after he had undergone two separate surgeries. It was terminal. (Are there onions around here? My eyes are tearing up.)

One morning, Denis and I were sitting in the living room having a cup of tea. He was very depressed and he was in a lot of pain. He turned to me and confided that he was afraid to die and that he was worried about crossing over. He looked at me with the saddest look in his eyes and asked, "How will I know what to do and where to go?" I hesitated for a moment and answered, "Honey, if you're not sure what to do or where you are supposed to go, just call out to Wolf and I am sure he will be there to show you the way." He hesitated for a moment before he answered, "I don't believe in ghosts or guardian spirits." (I don't want to say I told you so, but...)

I sat that there silently for a moment before I looked up and asked, "Please Wolf, just give him a sign. I don't know what else to say or do to convince him that you're here for him." (Wait for it...)

Denis and I turned to look at the Christmas tree and then the funniest thing happened...

One little red velvet bow slowly lifted off one of the branches. We both watched it go up few inches then gently float to the right side of the Christmas tree, where it stayed suspended in mid-air about a foot away from the tree for about 10 seconds before it slowly descended to the floor! (Gravity? Who needs that anyway?)

I turned back to see the look on Denis' face which was absolutely priceless. He sat there for a moment, then he turned to me and blurted out, "WOW! Did you see that?!" (Me? Nope, I didn't see a thing! What little red velvet bow? Lol!)

Denis stood up and started checking the windows (all closed), doors (all closed), fan (turned off), air currents (none). So, there was absolutely no logical explanation for what we had just witnessed. I looked at him and said, "SEE? Explain THAT!" We both knew that he couldn't and we burst out laughing.

Weird things continued to happen around the house and we would always laugh about it and say it was Wolf playing tricks on us again.

It was now April and the day before Denis' 38th birthday when he was admitted to the hospital for palliative care. Little did we know he would only have one month left to live. His brother, Serge, was sitting beside Denis when he passed away at the end of May. What Serge said he witnessed that day confirmed what I knew all along and it made a believer out of him too.

During his final moments at the hospital, Denis sat up in bed, smiled and high-fived someone only he could see, before he passed away peacefully. (Those darn onions are making my eyes tear up again.)

Other hauntings by GSDLady

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, GSDLady, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

t_bev (3 stories) (32 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-09-02)
GSDLady - This was a well written and touching story. I love how confident you were in Denis having someone to help guide the way at the end; and I have to believe that your confidence helped him in coping with death. ❤
GSDLady (8 stories) (11 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-04)
Thank you for your comments!

I hope there is someone out there who will find hope and inspiration in this story.

Death is not the end; it's the beginning of something else...

LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2019-10-02)
Amazing. I too have seen people near death talking and interacting with something unseen.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-10-02)
Very poignant story. Perhaps your deceased boyfriend will watch over you the same way his friend watched over him.
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2019-09-30)
OMG, 😢 Those onions are making me tear up too! I believe Wolf was there for Denis. Your story really tugged on my heart strings. I love how that little red bow lifted off the branches to reassure Denis and finally make a believer out of him. God bless you, I'm so sorry for your loss, but no one will ever take away your memories. ❤
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2019-09-30)
Your story is very sad but uplifting at the same time.

Thank You for sharing it!

Best Wishes, Maria ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: