You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ready Or Not, Here I Come

Real Ghost Stories

Ready Or Not, Here I Come

 

In a previous post of mine I wrote about an experience that took place on the farm my mother is living on. Very little has taken place on the property until recently.

In February I took my son out to visit my mother as we do at least twice a month. He was happily running around the place, smashing mole hills, digging holes, climbing trees, the usual things a suburban kid will do when let loose in the wide open. My mother and I were close by, giggling at his shenanigans and chatting about the usual farm things such as the drought we are experiencing, what to plant where and when and brainstorming on how to create rain catchment areas for the greenhouses. She wanted to show me her progress with one of our previous ideas down at the last greenhouse. I called out to my son to come with us but he had found an old rope swing and was too busy having fun so I told him to not wonder off too far, we'd be back in a bit.

On our way back up, I was deep in conversation with my mother when out of the corner of my eye I see movement to my left. I turned my head just in time to see my son duck behind one of the rain water tanks next to the main house. It couldn't have been more that 3 or 4 meters away from where we were. Thinking he was playing a game of hide and seek, I called out, "Ready or not, here I come," and took a step in that direction. At this exact moment, my son comes running out from around a bush to my right, about 12 meters away from where we were.

I stood there with my mouth hanging open, looking from the tank to my son to my mother, in total confusion saying, "But... Did you see... What?!"

I suddenly realised that the boy I saw duck behind the tank, although looking exactly like my son, was wearing a blue top but my son was wearing a red top with The Flash on the front.

Now I know the little bugger is quick, but there was no way he could have run from behind the water tank while changing his top to one we didn't even have with us and pop out from where he did.

My mother just stood there with a bemused look on her face. I asked her if she had seen what I had. She said no, but lately they were experiencing quite a lot of apparitions on the farm and they all seemed to be happening in an easterly to westerly direction following the natural underground water system. There is quite a large aquifer below the farm. My mother is of the opinion that the running water below ground has created a "path/channel" of energy the apparitions are following, or perhaps the energy that is created is allowing them to become more visible?

On a side note:

Not too far from the farm was once a field of battle (Battle of Blaauwberg, 1806) when the British took the Cape from the Batavian Republic. The battle lasted for 10 days and had a death toll of around 500 men. It is believed by many that some of the souls of those dead soldiers still roam the area. There have been sightings of uniformed men at the original well that was constructed by the soldiers stationed there and there is still an old fort on the summit of Blaauwberg hill. I've been in the fort when it was still open to the public and can honestly say there was a definite sense of sadness, fear and defeat in that place.

Other hauntings by Nephylim

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Nephylim, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Nephylim (10 stories) (79 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-24)
Hi Jubeele,

He is forever talking about his "friends". The two common ones are no longer around (see "Loco & Speed - the not so imaginary friends"). Sometimes they are just something to blame when he gets caught doing something he knows he shouldn't but sometimes the way he describes them is so vivid I can clearly picture who he is talking about.
He's never mentioned "friends" on the farm though.

Most of my mothers relatives are/were female barring a handful of males but they all have very distinct features unlike ours (they are from a Jewish & Irish branch of our family). My brothers and I, Connor included, all take after our fathers side in features (Dutch & German).

The water under the farm is very brackish (salty), which is why they don't use it in the greenhouses. So the science behind the conductivity holds up.
Nephylim (10 stories) (79 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-04-24)
Hi Fergie,

He didn't, no. He was too busy getting up to mischief 😉
Nephylim (10 stories) (79 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-04-24)
Hi Val,

According to my mother, he is the spitting image of me when I was his age. Although the sighting was fleeting, I got the distinct impression in my mind that it was my son. Now whether that was my mind recognising certain features and filling in the rest or not I'll probably never know.
I did get the feeling that it was being playful and there was no malice whatsoever.
Jubeele (25 stories) (885 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-04-21)
Hi Neph, like Fergie, I think it would be interesting to find out if Connor has recently acquired new "friends". Whether on your mother's farm or elsewhere. I don't think it was a spirit just mimicking him as the shirt was of a different colour.

Val's comment of a family connection is interesting. Maybe you should have a look in your mother's family album and see if you can find a boy that Connor resembles.

I also find it fascinating about your mother's theory about the aquifer below the farm. From my very distant memory of science lessons in school, I remember that pure or distilled water doesn't conduct electricity very well, but seawater, rainwater and tap water do. Something to do with the salts and electrically-charged particles:
Https://sciencing.com/salt-water-can-conduct-electricity-5245694.html

This brings to mind another thought. If we are about 70% water-based content, is that why spirits are also attracted to our life-giving energy force? 🤔
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-04-21)
Hi Neph,

Did Connor mention anything about a little boy being at the farm?

Isn't it infuriating when you just catch a glimpse of someone/something, and then it's gone. I often wish that whatever it is would linger just a few seconds longer.

Something similar happened to my husband a few days ago. He caught a flash of pale blue dress, as it vanished around the bend of our L shaped passage. He thought it was me, but I was still in bed, listening to the radio. He was like, "OMG, who did I just see?"

That's an interesting observation, made by your mom, about the water.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+2
6 years ago (2018-04-21)
Neph, intriguing is the only word I have for this.
I have heard it said that water conducts energy and therefore spirits, so your mom might be on to something.
I was wondering if your boy favors your side of the family in looks? Perhaps who you saw was a passed relation? Or since it was (I assume) a quick look perhaps just a resemblance between the two. Just a friendly child spirit playing (perhaps unknown to your boy) with him. It certainly sounds like he (wee ghostie) responded to your 'ready or not' with a classic hide-n-seek move.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: