You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Strange Time Over At Friends Place

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Time Over At Friends Place

 

This strange encounter happened too me a few years back in the Summer of 1997 over at a friends place. I wasn't very close to this particular friend I guess I pretty much decided to hang out with him because his younger Brother was good friends with my younger Bro' & he also just happened to have a Nintendo 64.

Anyways, there the two of us were playing and getting into our video games. I remember him (John) telling me that afternoon that he had to go out and mow some lawns. He also mentioned that it was only a couple of lawns he had to take care of on that hot day, so he gave me the choice to either come with him and possibly help out or to just hang out and keep playing until he arrived back. I tried not to make it obvious but I could not resist, I was hooked on this game system!

John lived in a mobile home community which sat on the outskirts of town in the countryside. "Hey, um, you know my Dad works nights so just keep it down and if you decide to join me just lock up." I remembered looking down the narrow hallway down towards where his father's room was and acknowledging John's requests. "And make sure the cat doesn't get out."

John's dad was an alright kind of guy. Besides working nights, he helped coach the various sports that his kids played, but one thing I will never forget is the stench of this man's breath! It was unbearable! No matter what time of the day or night, John's father's breath was horrid.

It was probably a good half hour after my friend had left that I began to feel the strange sensation of being watched. It's difficult to explain but at that time I couldn't connect the dots. Here I was enjoying myself on a bright and sunny Summer afternoon and then all of the sudden I felt a change in the atmosphere in this living room I was in. It was really weird. Something inside my mind was telling me that I shouldn't be here right now. Suddenly John's cat came racing and I mean flying out of one of their bedrooms and up the hallway towards me. I almost threw my controller at the erratic feline and fell on my behind all in a flash. At the time I could feel the tiny prickly hairs on the back of my neck stand up and felt the sensation of goose bumps begin to rise on my skin. The cat then comes to a halt, sits there for several seconds and gently jumps up on the couch I was sitting. "Hey kitter's!" I exclaim with a little bit of jittery excitement. A few moments later I started to play the game again.

Soon after I notice this cat is just sitting there a few feet away staring a hole through me. I don't consider myself the paranoid type but if you happen to read my other stories and experiences you could understand why I would think the way I do.

So here I am, a young teenager trying to enjoy my friend's game system on a bright and sunny afternoon and I am having a supernatural experience, which at time was really beginning to freak me out. The cat then begins meowing at me like it was trying to get my attention or to try to have a conversation with me. By this time I'm ready to hang up the gaming controller. The next thing I know is this cat is positively looking past me and over my shoulder like there's something behind me that I could not see at the time! My curiosity with this cat was starting to fade away the unknown fear for a moment. The bright sunshine gleamed through a nearby window.

Moments later, in the corner of my eye, this cat's eyes and head are searching something out into the nearby kitchen. I'll never forget the look in the cat's eyes and I owned plenty of cats previously and I know the kind of look they give when they are carefully watching something closely. Seconds later the cat jumps up on the high part of the sofa (back rest) and sneaks behind me and begins observing something unseen to me out into the nearby kitchen. A dry-scratchy meow was released from the cat's jagged mouth. Silence. Then the moment I go to turn and see what the cat is doing it jumps down onto the cushion near me and appeared to be watching something or somebody walk out of the kitchen, through the living room and into the hallway, followed along with the faint sound of footsteps. I quickly rolled up the chord to the controller and walked the hell out.

I never told John because it sounded silly at the time (plus John was more like an acquaintance), but I do remember asking my younger brother a few years later because he went over on a regular basis during that particular Summer. I remember him telling me that one of the last nights he had spent at that place he had a hard time sleeping because of the washing machine was really loud (because the levelers were probably uneven) and was awakened by a bad dream and a feeling of anxiety. Years after our conversation on that, we found out that one of the previous owners had overdosed on drugs and died in that place.

Other hauntings by timidtim

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, timidtim, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-19)
It is unnerving I know whwere you are coming from timidtim, it is good to have something like that backed up knowing that it wasn't just your imagination playing around at the time.
I have a feeling that family would have had a few weird stories of their own that you would not have heard about! 😉

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
rstahley (3 stories) (102 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
Great story! Your writing had me hooked. I had this feeling you were going to end the story with your friend's dad being dead back there or something, but you still smelled his stinky breath. I'm glad he was okay, though. It was still a scary story. You stayed longer than I would have, that's for sure!
timidtim (4 stories) (20 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
butthead: Yeah we had a bunch of cat's growing up, lol never saw anything like it. Sure was creepy, glad you all enjoyed it.
butthead (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
cats do that with flying insects, as I was up for over an hour tryin to batter some mosquito that flew in and the cat was meowing at and staring at etc.
I think it's more reliable when dog's do it... When they notice things and stare/growl at them. But it sounds very plausable in this case that the cat perhaps was sensing something also.
Nice detailed read too.
Jesus_soldier (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
timidtim: I remember those games bro, straight up classics.
timidtim (4 stories) (20 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
Glad you all enjoyed it! Jesus_soldier, not sure if he had Golden eye but I was playing Turok (pt. 1) & MK trilogy. Shellzy, yeah cat's (& Dog's for that matter.) creep me out with those eye's, especially cat's though...
ashville (3 stories) (42 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
Cool story. Good writing too:) Drugs, always seem to bring unwanted stuff around.
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
I think cats are very intuitive animals. And you are right, they do get a strange look in their eyes when they are fixated on something!
I have two cats that sometimes both stare at something in a doorway at the same time and they also get that fixated look about them although I can't see what they are looking at, quite freaky at times!
Jesus_soldier (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
timidtim: I enjoyed the story. I'm curious what game you were playing, because 007 goldeneye used to have me glued to the screen 😆. It looks like that cat helped you out a little. I know the feeling you experienced.

Thank you for sharing
timidtim (4 stories) (20 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
Being attracted to the supernatural most of my life, I guess I tend too be less paranoid. I guess it was the combination of the bright sunny day vs. The feeling of being so far away from it, isolated with this dreadful awareness. Also, that cat was one weird kitty...
hallyberrybro (2 stories) (13 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-17)
Good story. I know the feeling of being watch and I too don't know if its paranoia or something else. I have a lot of stories that don't quiet match up but they all revolve around me. You were braver then I would of been. I don't think I would of been there alone.
Nich_Mc (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-17)
Wow, I've had that feeling before but I'm not sure if it was my paranoia or something else. I would be scared too but I've had so many unexplained things happen to me that I'm used to it. Good story, I'll try to read all of them 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: