You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: A Father's Goodbye

Real Ghost Stories

A Father's Goodbye

 

My mother and her father never had a good relationship. Her dad was orphaned at a young age and then adopted by 'not-so-nice' people. He later married my grandmother and soon had my mother. Unfortunately, he was involved in a motorbike accident at a very young age, while my mother was still a baby. He had a massive frontal lobe injury and in the following years was unable to care for himself any further. A while after the accident, my grandmother and grandfather divorced and my mother lost contact with her father. He was a difficult man as he could still speak and function to some extent but would have difficulties remembering and had extreme behavioural changes.

When my mother was much older, she again came into contact with her father. At this stage he was an old man with a sad and tragic life behind him. His caretaker died and my mother placed my grandfather into a permanent care facility. She would visit him weekly and she would often take me and my father with her. He would often confuse me with my mother and would think that my mother is actually my grandmother. Later, when I was about 14 years old, he passed away. My mother was extremely sad as they never had a real relationship up until the last few years of his life (even if he couldn't always remember her).

She received a call, informing her of his death, early in the morning in 2008. Later that night, I was sitting in the living room watching TV and my mom was on her computer in the dining room. To give some detail the living room and dining room are all part of a larger open plan area so we could clearly see each other at all times. All of a sudden, we could hear static coming from the computer speakers. My mother and I checked our phones to see if that might be the reason but the sound would just get louder. My mom mentioned that it might be some energy in the air (referring to my grandfather). I got somewhat scared, being quite young still, and asked her to switch off the speakers. She switched it off and came to sit next to me on the couch. A few seconds later, the sound returned - originating from the speakers that were switched off. This went on for about 20 minutes, getting louder and louder. Eventually my mother went to the PC, switched on the speakers and decided to speak to whatever possible energy it might be. It went something like this: 'Dad, I know you have come to say goodbye and I want you to know that I love you very much. You are scaring Lallie now so please stop. We are fine and thank you for coming to say goodbye'. As she said the last sentence you could hear how the static went softer and softer until it completely stopped.

There was no explanation for what happened but whether it was my grandfather or not - it was what my mother needed. A last bit of comfort from the dad she never had.

Other hauntings by Lallie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lallie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Macoy (2 posts)
-3
4 years ago (2019-12-12)
Daryl Manchopaay
Eut Lourdes

At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest. For the clear path was lost.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-21)
Mrs. Ramsey: Interesting story, you also seem to have the gift of prescience. I do not think that the common person can see most "haunts" - only those that use a lot of energy can be seen by people like me who have no supernatural gifts. Like the person in this story, I believe the closeness between individuals separated by death may be a factor, as well as any pre-existing strong emotions in being able to affect a "crossover" between the veil of life ad death.
MrsRamsay (guest)
+4
4 years ago (2019-11-20)
Nice story, Laeleigh, and I'm sorry for all that loss. James Bond, I've wondered about such a "window" also, for there does seem to be a more spiritual energy in the air in the days immediately before and after someone passes; however, I also believe they can come back and visit, especially on special occasions. I feel like I've had family members "come back" to be with me 1. While cleaning out their home 2.at the date of the sale of their vacation home (which had my siblings at each others' throats, sadly) 3. At my daughters' weddings (wine glass tipped over once, then tossed on the floor and broken prior to the wedding, then the bride's veil taken off in the seconds before she said her vows). I have photographic evidence of my mom (her grandma's face) in the veil as it's being lifted up by "the wind." And I also thought I had photo evidence the day of the sale of the house, as I took a photo in a steamy bathroom, feeling her presence, and her face was visible in the mirror. My family has also seen this evidence, but I -- for some strange reason -- seem to be more effected by it. As in, it changed my life. Which is why I am here. Interesting that you momma immediately went to the thought of her father when the noise started from the speakers. I think that's part of it too... We just FEEL them. Happy Thanksgiving all!
jabond99 (3 stories) (61 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-11-19)
Lallie,

I like your story very much. Most stories I have read of similar nature (relatives saying goodbye) seem to happen very close to the loved one's death. I wonder if there is some window of opportunity closest to the time of passing where spirits get the opportunity to say goodbye. Your mother had good presence of mind recognize the situation and then address your grandfather. Thanks for the post.

James Bond
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-19)
The relationship between your mother and grandfather was very unfortunate. It seems like in spite of his circumstances he loved his daughter and had the need to tell her so after his passing.
20 minutes is a very long time, I imagine he just wanted to say all the things he didn't tell your mother during his life.
May he rest in peace.

Thanks for sharing.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-19)
I imagine many families have those close family members who passed and whose spirits lingered just long enough to leave a message. Many of those messages come in the form of something that is specific and relevant to the receiver. I wonder if your deceased relative understood that the speakers were the best method to contact you and to have you understand that it was he who was visiting. I would like to think so.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-19)
Hi Lallie,

I find your grandfather's experiences very tragic. I am very sorry for the pain your family must have gone through.

I am glad that your mother was able to find closure.

Best Wishes, Maria ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: