You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Cat In My Room On Anniversary Of Fire And Destruction

Real Ghost Stories

Cat In My Room On Anniversary Of Fire And Destruction

 

This is my first post, and I'm not sure if it means anything but I'd like to hear other people's opinions.

I live in Germany and my apartment (where I've lived for just over a year) is on the site of a synagogue that was set alight and destroyed by Nazi rampaging and violence known as 'Kristallnacht' on November 9-10, 1938. There's nothing strange about the apartment here, and there's a small monument to the synagogue outside.

On the night of 9th November last year I woke up in the middle of the night. It didn't occur to me that it was the anniversary of the destruction until the next day, but the date could be a coincidence anyway... Who knows. Anyway, I took a drink of water from next to my bed and then lay back down, so I know I was awake.

The next thing I knew was I felt something jump onto the bed and walk across it. I didn't see what it was, but it felt exactly like it would feel if a cat walked over the covers - kind of tickling as it walked over my legs. As I don't have a cat (nor any pets) I was extremely freaked out. I then heard a small 'miaow' and felt the pressure as it jumped off the bed and heard the little feet land on the floor. I didn't move after that and must have fallen back asleep, but this is all I could think about for days afterwards.

There's no way a cat could have gotten into the room - I live on the 2nd floor and as it was November and cold the windows were all shut, as was the bedroom door. Nothing strange has happened in the apartment since.

Does anybody have any ideas what could have prompted this? Do you think the fact that it was the anniversary of something rather horrible on that sight has any relevance?

I'd appreciate anybody's opinions about this.

Thank you

Other hauntings by brennessel

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, brennessel, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ItsSoClearNow (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-20)
Maybe that cat died on that day, and it's spirit only comes out on the anniversery. (I wouldn't want a cat there, anyways, i'm allergic to them!)
zion1234 (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-04)
i agree with GabrielladeLioncourt cats seem to sense a presence, and I almost feel protected when my cat is near me whilst this happens, and they give you warning in ways, there is a presence, I have experienced the same thing, feeling of a cat walking over my bed and heard purring, this was just after my first cat sylvester died, my explanation is, his presence is still around me 😁
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-03)
I confess I've never understood why a haunting should have anything to do with calendar dates. Even though the calendar is loosely based around celestial cycles, it's still an arbitrary system of counting time, and the very existence of time itself is something physicists seriously debate. I don't see why the date would have anything to do with what you experienced, although the history of the building has likely had an impact on it's overall energy and feel. What you describe is a fairly common experience, and one I have had many times (although just the feeling, not the meowing or the sound of jumping down). I don't know whether the feeling is a natural sensation that our brains interpret as a small animal walking about our bed, or whether it's an actual spirit (of an animal or otherwise) producing this. I wish I did, but I'm still trying to figure it out. It unnerves me when it happens to me (which is thankfully rare) but I refuse to let it terrify me.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-03)
Hey brennessel,
I have an old friend- his family is from West Berlin.
His aunt and cousin would often visit us in the States. His cousin, same age as us, but much more mature and disciplined. He was also going/gone into the military, so maybe that had something to do with that. I've always been fascinated with "German war strategy" of the 30's and 40's- and always wondered why they made the mistake of going into Russia and opening a two front war- instead of concentrating their forces to the west... Or basically securing England, and thus, giving the U.S. No base to launch an attack.
87calais (2 stories) (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-03)
To Catttie, animals do have souls. I've seen my deceased dog walk past me in the lounge room as in i,d be reading a book and see a quick glympse of her. My daughter felt our deceased cat lay on her legs while in bed and heard her purring, when she looked there was nothing there.
Catttie (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-02)
loved this story thanks for sharing! I'm also a bit of a history geek, and love the fact you live there!... I'm un-sure about the whole cat thing, I've read that apparently animals don't have souls? But I have also read that there has been animal ghosts/spirits before! So who knows!? Maybe it was a cat who previously did live in your apartment back in the 30's and came back that night because of the event.
Cattie x
brennessel (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-02)
Yes, it's known in English as the Night of the Broken Glass. Feel free to ask any questions Pjod 😁 I'd be happy to answer wherever possible...
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-02)
Is that also refered to as the "night of the broken glass"?-I'm a bit of a WWII buff, and could prob go on with many questions that would take away from your thread...so, nice story... I enjoyed reading it.
GabrielladeLioncourt (5 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-02)
I wouldn't be frightened. I would actually feel comforted by this feline presence, because cats have the power to scare away and keep evil spirits and entities far 😊

But I understand why you were freaked out. I don't think it has anything to do with the date. Or maybe that night paranormal things are just more intense, due to what hapenned on that day? It could be a possibility 😳

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: