You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Annoying Phantom Cats

Real Ghost Stories

Annoying Phantom Cats

 

I have enjoyed reading Phantom Cat stories here. My personal experience has been somewhat disturbing.

Phantom Cats are not new to me, but I never called them that before now. I have felt them for many years, and occasionally seen one out of the corner of my eye. At first, they were more surprising than disturbing. I thought it was kind of neat! I was not disturbed at all. However, this has recently changed.

Several weeks ago, for the first time in a while, I began to feel the Phantom Cats again. In addition, I was again seeing the "creepy crawlies" in shadows. They are like Daddy Long Legs, but with hundreds of legs, kind of fuzzy and legs wiggling. They grow. I have never seen them leave the shadows, but I do see them on the periphery.

Well, when I began to feel the "cats" once more, it quickly progressed to feeling like the "creepy Crawlies" were climbing on to my feet and lower legs - that's what I thought anyway. There were multiple ones at the same time. They would bite my toes, and I could feel it very acutely, and with associated pain. I was scared of them.

I tried praying them away, I would "kick" them off, but they would persistently return. They would only go away if I were to fall asleep.

I thought perhaps this was some psychosis associated with peripheral neuropathy. As such, I tried taking more Gabapentin at bedtime. At first, I thought it was helping. That did not last long, and they returned in force.

I literally thought I may be possessed by some evil spirit. These incidents even began to occur when I was sitting or lying in my recliner and would move with me if I got up and walked around. At times I felt a heaviness from the creatures, and always a sense of feet of some kind walking on my lower extremities.

One night, I though "Oh my goodness - they're Cats! We once had a cat that would nibble at my toes at night. This, I thought, was an exacerbation of that. I felt much better, thinking these were phantom cats rather than the creepy crawlies.

To stop the biting, I began to wear shoes to bed, but that did not help. I could still feel the bites. I just wanted it to stop. I tried taking a sedative and holding off on getting in the bed until I was very nearly passed out. That helped, but sedatives tend to work a very long time with me, and I would oversleep.

I feel I am back to square one. I am afraid to get into my bed or recliner. I am experiencing progressive sleep deprivation and psychologically I'm screwed. I fear discussing it with my doctor for fear of being locked up or something. I'm not generally "crazy" - but this is slowly eating at me, and it is only getting worse by the day. I do not know what to do. Tonight, it started in my bed, so I moved to the recliner. They followed me. It seems this time there were even more cats than usual, and they followed me when I got up and went to the kitchen for a snack. That has never happened before. That's why I am writing this, hoping for some advice.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, PaulCratin, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

BettinaMarie (14 stories) (80 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-07-30)
PaulCratin
Welcome and thank you for posting. I hope you have access to a decent health care provider. Neuropathy is no joke. Do go see a doctor if possible, and never change up med or dosages without a pharmacy approval.

I have never had " bites" but I used to see phantom cats sometimes, out of the corner of my eye. I am fascinated that other people have seen them too. I never " felt" only "saw" them.

It was weird to admit to an eye doctor that I had been seeing cats -but I did. He was kind enough to do a normal exam, to verify that what I "saw" was not my eyes playing tricks.
If someone reacts judgementally they are probably not a very competent pro, keep asking until you find an answer. There is no shame in asking your primary health person for a referral to a general sort of counseling, and you don't have to say why you'd like a counselor. If you have a rabbi or someone spiritual you know, they might offer some decent perspective or advise.

You could maybe frame the question as if you were describing a dream, if you are shy to admit you "see" things while awake. Finding out it was not my actually my eyes failing, really put my mind better somehow. I also have not seen any cats since then, so for me it may have been some kind of projection? They never touched or scared me but was very odd to see. I am very unconventional person, so I geuss I just ignore mean opinions. If you are scared or hurting, I don't think it matters what anyone what anyone thinks of you to ask around and get help.

I still don't know why phantom cat sightings happens but if they or the peripheral creepiecrawls ever actually bit or threatened me... I would be telling them off. Like very loudly and plainly state your claim and purpose. "This is my body, you cannot touch me" or " Get Out of My Home- You are not ever welcome". Or both. Do not bargain, do not be afraid.

I am a however, a little superstitious and would hesitate to name a questionable form, even if it reminded me of a bygone pet or anxious house elf. If it were more pesky than frightening, you might placate it-

Sometimes putting out a little milk and sweets overnight will settle pestering sprites. In old times you would also leave the door unlatched that night, but maybe a safer modern variation would be to stand in the open doorway a moment and focus on ending the annoyance.

Or-spill a bowl of lentils and leaving it so, is an old fashioned overnight way to distract bored spirits, who are said to be unable to resist the task of returning them to bowl. I read this method in a book about medieval carpentry.

Would a spirit cat would probably be more distracted by the bowl left very near the table edge, all the better to swipe off? I am a dog person, I don't know.

In any case, declaring my space and self off limits has always lended me courage even if I may be imagining the unseen threat. You are brave to write and share this phantom biter cat experience. I really hope you find relief. I am sure you have what it takes to reclaim your rest and peace of mind.

As always I appreciate everyone's kind comments and the top-notch Mods at YGS.

Best of Luck

Bettina Marie
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (233 posts)
+3
2 years ago (2022-06-11)
Hello PaulCratin, welcome to YGS and thanks for sharing! It is interesting, you say you see these things in your peripheral vision, yet when these bites and sensations are occurring you don't see anything directly?

I am in agreement with the others on this one, I think it would be wise to get checked out medically to be safe. The fact that these encounters as uncomfortable as they are, cease when you sleep makes me think it may be something more physical.

You can always have a just a candid discussion with your Dr during an exam, you don't have to tell him what you've seen in your peripheral vision, or what you think it is in paranormal terms, just tell him you are having sensations on your legs that feel like somethings crawling on you and sensations akin to being bitten with the associated pain. I highly doubt they're going to think you're ready for the rubber room if you stick to what's going on physically. As it's been stated so well in other replies, there are biological reactions that produce these effects as well.

I'm not saying it's not supernatural/paranormal, but my feeling is there's a physical component to this that needs to be addressed and hopefully will resolve the problem. Good Luck!
CantunSEEit74 (3 stories) (51 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-06-09)
Hi Paul Ghost Adventures Season 23 episode 1 in Big, California. Their equipment caught stick figures of very small creatures at his knee and one on his back at the same time biting, scratching him They talked to it and recorded a couple responses in English, but this episode goes sideways and needs a priest. I hope you're not in the area of a native American massacre, or burial ground. They come in all shapes and sizes. Have you thought about asking it questions and recording it. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
robmkivseries70 (1 stories) (35 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-06-08)
Good Day,
I'm not a DR, nor do I play one on TV. I'd call this something similar to "restless legs" syndrome and would guess, as the others have said, there is a physiological cause. I have has some luck with a warm bath and gentle hamstring stretches. Good luck with this.
Best,
Rob
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+4
2 years ago (2022-06-08)
PaulCratin,
Mental health treatment has come a long way from when we were kids. Generally you don't get 'locked up' unless they think you're a danger to yourself or others. Would you be sent for a psych evaluation? Possibly. But not until after your doctor had looked for other medical reasons.
There could be something on your nerves - your actual nerves, causing the crawling and biting sensation. Neuropathy comes to mind, but no way could I say for sure. I agree with the others that a doctor visit is in order. The point is, what you're experiencing may not be paranormal at all, but early symptoms of a medical disorder. And by not having it checked out, you're doing yourself a disservice.
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-06-08)
And from the way you describe your experiences it does not seem friendly at all.
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-06-08)
Hi PaulCratin

If there's no logical or medical reason for you experiencing this then I would assume that it could possibly be supernatural, I cannot really comment on your medical conditions, however I have had my fair share of unexplainable incidents and if it is indeed supernatural, I can't imagine that those "cats" as you call it may just be spirits of cats, sometimes something much more malevolent can impersonate.
PaulCratin (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2022-06-07)
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. At this moment I am sitting at my desk in a totally different room reading your reply. I feel the cats as I am writing this comment. No bites yet! I will
Tell my doctor. Thanks. Paul
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+5
2 years ago (2022-06-07)
Welcome to YGS.

Hi Paul.

In my opinion, it's important to talk to your doctor about these events before considering them paranormal in nature.
Although the members of the forum may give you some advice, no one knows your health condition well enough as to say if these events are a side effect of a medication/substance you may be taking, or the result of a physiological imbalance.

There's no mention in your narrative if your encounters with the phantom cats have happened in the same house or at different locations.
Would it be possible that a previous pet has been visiting you?
Have you noticed if the presence of the cats, and the crawlies, follows a pattern or if it associated to some external factors?

It's always a good idea to keep a journal with the purpose of registering any events that may be increasing or triggering these episodes.

In my opinion, at this moment it's more important to get a clean bill of health and leave the paranormal for later. Though, perhaps, after talking to your doctor, you may consider asking for the help of a religious leader or a well reputed spiritual healer.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: