You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Hauntings Are Not Even Close

Real Ghost Stories

Hauntings Are Not Even Close

 

It's funny how many places have claimed to be the most haunted or have credible evidence of spirits and what not. Since mainstream media decided to invite itself to my island home and exploit one of the haunted sites and did not reveal the truth of the matter, I will attempt to enlighten you. I am a military brat so I grew up in many different places before my father was stationed here and here is where I call home. I have experienced and have seen many of oddities, but none like those that happen everyday here in American Samoa and the neighboring islands. Here, ghosts are not apparitions but just like you and me. On the island of Aunu'u, they walk into stores and make purchases. Walk out and just disappear.

One instance, I had serviced one and was instantly curious because I had no clue I had. I had followed this gentleman out of the store and placed his groceries at the bus stop and said goodbye. He said thank you and sat down to wait for his bus as I walked back into the store. Just to let you know, the distance between the bus stop and the store in about 15-20 feet, so there is absolutely no way this man could have gotten up and walked away or caught a ride without me hearing or seeing him. I got to the door and he was gone. His groceries gone. I stood there in amazement. A villager came by and elderly woman and asked, "You look like you seen a ghost?" I replied, "I think I just did... But wait. Did you see me walk out with an elderly man just a mere 20-30 seconds ago?" She replied, "Oh, you saw one of them too huh." I looked at here with a what in the world are you talking about look on my face. She continued, Sometimes they come out of the woodwork and take human form and act like you or me. They walk into stores, visit children in schools. Just as if they were alive. I just stood there in shock. She ended with, you are lucky though. If "It" liked you, you wouldn't be having this conversation with me." I felt a growl in my stomach and asked for the rest of the day off.

I ran straight to my grandmother's house because she was not only a sensitive but a spiritual warrior (in Samoan she was known as a Taulasea or witch doctor who dealt in these matters). I told her what had happened and she immediately made me drink an elixir made of various herbs and told me to do this for 3 nights. On the third night I was to bathe in the elixir. She explained the feeling you have in your stomach is the grip of the ghost because of something you might have done recently. I told her I don't understand. She then asked if I had been roaming in places that she told us not to venture and I told her no. Then I remembered a couple of nights earlier my friends and I were out clubbing and we ended up partying after the club on a mountain pass. She asked, "Did you guys make noise or have loud music?" and I said yes to both. She then asked an odd question, "Did you hear as shhh sound or did someone stone your cars and the rock didn't leave marks?" I was shocked because the latter did happen and we decided to leave because we thought it was locals from that village coming after us. She continued, "You were chosen because your bloodline is my bloodline and the spirit knew that if it went after you, I would reply."

She continued with mixing a sort of paste and told me to go with my friend to where we were at. She then said to look for a tree that looks like there is no earthly way it should still be standing. When you get there, apply the paste on the trunk and use a leather belt to whip the tree. I was still in the "why on earth would I do that?" state of mind when she told me, "It will cry and ask why, you tell him that I (grandmother) want them to leave you alone or I will come next time to burn them." I was like, "Okay, Mama."

So my friends and I did. When we got there the landscape is covered in trees of all kinds. It wasn't until one of my friends told me to look behind us. As we all did (there were 7 of us) I stood there in awe. If you have seen the movie the Guardian, you would know what I am describing. This tree, looked as if it were a couple of thousand years old and just had knots and twists in every awkward direction that you were scared just looking at it. As I got up my courage to do the tasks, I could feel a heaviness envelope me like someone trying to weigh me down. I kept stepping forward and the sounds around me started to disappear until I could hear nothing but my breathing and my friends beside me. Imagine standing in a wind tunnel that car companies use to test aerodynamics. That's how it felt. My best friend asked for the paste and as I pulled it out of the bag, a sharp pain came over me as I almost fell to the ground. He gabbed the jar and belted out an obscenity before he started to smother the trunk.

It was maybe 10 seconds into this when we heard it. A shriek louder than a bird's and much more agonizing. Then a barely audible voice of an old man speaks in our tongue, "What are you doing to me? YOU were the ones who were disrespectful. You untaught, ungrateful little maggots?" I then pulled out the belt and started whipping. I could hear him plead and beg for forgiveness and I just kept going. I was so into it when all of a sudden a deeper voice comes forth and commands we leave. I stood there defiantly saying who I was, and it was him and the rest of them that should be going. He speaks defiantly, "Who are you to tell me?" This is when I felt as if my body was being guided or entered by my grandmother.

I can remember everything, yet know it wasn't of my doing. I take out my pocket knife and slit my hand. I smother the bark and start chanting in a language I still don't know what to call. All I know is I could make out my origins and my heritage in what I was saying. I kept doing it over and over until I could feel rain start to pour and opened my eyes to see the tree had shrunk and became like a shrub in the background. I was shocked, my friends were so in awe they just didn't say anything.

We jumped in the car and headed for Mama's house. As we got there, we noticed she was resting and so I went in alone and kiss my grandmother and told her thank you. She said, "Son you need to really start to feel your surroundings. You are not like other kids. You have gifts that my family has passed on for generations. Some of you have sight, some of you have touch, but you have both plus one that is rare as you feel their presence and in the long run, you will be able to see through them." I was still reeling from what had happened before that I was really registering everything until I sat there and started to play it all back about an hour after I left her house.

It's funny because I have no fear of what I have encountered and trust when I say this. You're ghosts are not as malevolent as the ghosts in Polynesia and I have the scars to prove it. The spirits or ghosts you all fear and speak of seem to form when you are alone. I can tell you, there places here where you will get lost if you don't know where you are at that exact point in time. But that is a story for another time.

I have many more for another time.

Other hauntings by Trybal_Knyte

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Trybal_Knyte, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Trybal_Knyte (6 stories) (37 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
Ivory,

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I still have episodes, just as recently as this past weekend. It was not as intense as some that I have had but they are becoming less and less frequent. I am seeking relatives whom know of what I am going through and have been lucky but not so. (they know of what I am talking about but do not know how to control it.). Thank you for the encouragement. Have a great week.
Trybal_Knyte (6 stories) (37 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-09)
You know sacul and Jav, I never really got around to asking. I do know of witches/wiccans (fa'ataulaitu (fah'ah-tah-oo-lah-ee-too)) that can literally turn leaves into money. (I have seen it too and it is very very scary. It is an optical illusion and after the day the money turns back). There have also been times when yes money does disappear, but I am not sure if it was because of this experience. Thanks for asking. I wish the store I used to work for was still open. The owners moved to US about 15 years ago and sold the building. Its now just a residence. But thanks for the question. You got me thinking. I am also a third generation entrepenuer. I am now thinking of times when I couldn't quite balance out my books for the day and couldn't get an explanation. (its most likely human error, but one can never really be sure in Samoa.)
sacul (1 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Quick? It's taken me half a year, lol! No need to be jumpy, I mean it. ❤
It'd be a bummer to get fired over that. My bosses would never believe me, "it was the ghosts again, Sir!"
I'd expect random drug screenings at the very least.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
sacul,
Don't be so quick with your praise hun. It makes me jumpy.
Good question about the currency, I hadn't thought of that one.

Jav
sacul (1 stories) (71 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Jav,

I respect you for posting an apology and recognize the strength it takes to do so (even though we bickered some months ago). I think you set a good example. +1 for you, friend.

Trybal,

Please share more of your experiences! I'm sure you have a lot to offer as it sounds like people in your area do not label you eccentric, crazy, or weird for discussing paranormal/unexplainable activities, but instead are more open to the idea.

One question, and I'm sorry if it has been asked: When a ghost buys groceries from you, does the currency exchanged vanish along with the customer? For example- if he paid $20- does the register come up $20 short at the end of the day?

Thank you for your time.

😊
ivory (9 stories) (77 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
that's fine. I hope you find someone within your culture that could help you. My only understanding on your previous post is that what happened to you is not an OBE. In wicca (from a related religion) that kind of experience is a manifestation of the 'Sight'.You might be seeing your past, present and future. My only advice is find someone who knows about it within your culture and tradition because it differ from one beliefs to another
Trybal_Knyte (6 stories) (37 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Thank You Ivory. She was a special woman I can tell you that. I was just wondering if there was anyone out there with the same type of experience is all.
ivory (9 stories) (77 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
i'm so sorry that you lost your grandma. It may also help if you ask your more knowledgeable relative about your dilemma. I can not explain OBE as well
Trybal_Knyte (6 stories) (37 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Hi Javelina,
Sure, The Series Ghost Hunters International came to American Samoa for a haunting. They taped and left. They found many things out of the ordinary and even some of that footage made it to t.v... The story of the orphanage they came to film was accurate. What they reported on was too to an extent. What I meant by the revealing the truth is that they also went to a second site where the footage did not make the episode. This second site is on another island of the Samoan Chain. The islands of Manu'a (Mah-nooh-uhh). There are too many things to tell about Manu'a. From very reliable sources (their guides are family members, we were informed that they had captured footage of a aitu sauai (ahh-ee-too- sawooh-ahh-ee). This did not cause any of the locals to celebrate or anything. We all kind of had that "did'nt we tell you that you'd find what you were looking for?" attitude. Not boasting, I guess it was the confirmation from someone who was not Samoan that caused that reaction.
What I am trying to relay is this. Many of the phenomenon we talk about here on the site; is almost worse here. I have been to many places where you could feel it present (the supernatural energy) but not like here in Samoa. (Guadalcanal,Nagasaki, Gettysburg) Many of my friends from different countries agree with my sentiments. I am not trying to say that everyone else's account doesn't count. But compared to activity that could happen to someone who is looking for or asking for it (by blatantly breaking taboo or disrespecting the laws of the land) you could actually get what you are looking for, in most cases worse. Have a good one Jav. I hope I answered this for you.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-04)
Trybal Knyte,
There is a question I meant to ask you, but it slipped my mind back then. So I will ask it now.
You began your account talking about how the media had somehow misrepresented what actually occurred when they visited your island. I'll quote you here...
"Since mainstream media decided to invite itself to my island home and exploit one of the haunted sites and did not reveal the truth of the matter, I will attempt to enlighten you"
What was it? How did they exploit it? And what is the real truth?

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
And just to get this out in the open Shlain, since you have been carrying this animosity for me for so long. Months ago, on another thread, you faulted me for walking back my original comment. Tonight you are faulting me for apologizing. And for some unknown reason, you seem to think I only did so out of pressure from other posters. It is astounding to me that you believe I could be convinced to change my thinking or opinions because of pressure from others. If I am wrong, I admit to it, if I am sorry, I apologize for it. If admitting to being wrong and apologizing for my own behavior/thinking are getting you so upset that you feel you need to post about it, maybe that isn't the real problem. Because I can promise you one thing, and even those who don't care for me can attest to this, I do not bow to pressure. That is just the truth. But if you can convince me I am wrong, I will admit to being wrong. I have done it before and I'll do it again I'm sure. And as far as that goes, it is always nice to see others do the same. But I'll live with my faults and make adjustments as I see fit. Can you say the same about yourself? How often do you admit to being wrong? When was the last time you apologized?

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
[at] Shlain,
Seems you're the troll tonight. Going around trying to stir up trouble are we? One hallmark of a troll is the tactic of relighting fires that have since been doused/resolved. Another is showing up late for the party empty handed.

Jav

By the way...
You wouldn't be referring to me would you?
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
I still think that there are people (won't mention who) on this site that loves to control things. I don't mean control in a good way. I mean bullying. There's no need for readers and posters to do "troll beating" etc. Everyone is allowed to post their experiences. If you don't like the story then move on to another one.

Also, an apology only means something when it's sincere and not when its done when the person sees others don't approve of his/her former comments.

I'm a bit shocked that some people find it hard to believe this story. During medieval times and even before that, what TK wrote about was daily occurences. Just because we don't see these kind of things daily does not mean it doesn't exist. Face it, the folklore from the various cultures and ancient races had to stem from somewhere right?! Gaelic, Celtic,Germanic, Norse beliefs... Many of them have myths and legends that cross so there must be a truth in it. Someone from a Samoan culture that still has strong roots in his culture and beliefs of the old days should be applauded.

Thanks for sharing your story TK

Shlain 😁
Trybal_Knyte (6 stories) (37 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-21)
Kardagen,
Its a bit of both. Let me paint a clearer picture. When its cold a majority of people get goose bumps and shiver. Its like that old saying " when you get goose bumps, someone just walked over your grave." Sometimes I can tell when it is supernatural and sometimes no. I wouldn't call it a spider sense but certain things set it off. Sometimes its a significant date, spot, person. So I guess your assessment is correct.

Jav and Ivory, yes this is very enlightening. I live in a very cosmopolitan type island. There are people of different ethnic backgrounds and sharing is how we all tend to find it easier to merge and kind of blur cultural barrier so we get along.

Ivory, yes I would have loved to know but I lost my grandmother about 2 years ago. The way it was explained to me was that all the heads of her children's family's would be chosen. They will have one or two gifts but sometimes there was a third gift that is very rare. I mentioned in my profile that I have family members that literally fight with entities and I mean that. I have seen with my own eyes things most people could only conjour up in their most horrifying nightmares. These entities take physical form to do battle. Seeing boars the size of folding tables take 12 and 14 gauge shells to the body and head and keep standing and coming at you will definitely make you change your stance on the supernatural. But that is a whole other story.

J_S and Rook, I am not sure on what the debate is about. I am still new but I hope that all is good. Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and respecting that is where we all tend to fall short at times. I am not going to lie, but its knowing that it could be done to you as well is what I say to myself. I am enjoying the input because it helps me understand more about myself and see that I am not alone with many of the things I definitely afraid to say out loud.
On that note, I hope that everyone has a great weekend and thank you for the input.
Jesus_soldier (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
I think it should be some way to know who votes. There could be a pop up list when you have the hand over the arrows. I mean seriously, most of us are too grown to be on sneaky crap. It's already debates and fights, so it wouldn't really matter. People would know who is trolling or who the 2 face people are.

JS aka Brandon 😐
kardagen (2 stories) (161 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
so is it safe to say the sensation in your stomach was more a result of nerves then anything paranormal? As to say as relization sunk in you had a "hollow" spot in your stomach? And thank you, for your open answers despite the flack you may recive for it.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
Jav,

Doesn't change my point that when I first signed on there had been an obvious misuse of the system...

I understand controversy and 'debate' can gather a crowd, I do not have a problem with that. He! I start a fair share of them myself. 😲

I do however have a problem with obvious, in this case VERY OBVIOUS, personal attacks. The minus 2 for your 'Thank You/Apology' comment on this experience was very unwarranted and either was 'executed' by two individuals with a PERSONAL AGENDA, which is against site policy or they were 'executed' by a single individual who has a PERSONAL AGENDA and who has multiple accounts... Which is VERY MUCH against site policy.

So I broke out my soapbox and had a nice rant...

I do see where between myself and another individual where the Minuses have been 'canceled' out but, and maybe it's just me, but that particular comment should not have been voted down.

Respectfully,

Rook
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-20)
(BREAKS OUT SOAP BOX, CLIMBS UP ON IT, CLEARS THROAT AND...)

I vote here and now to get rid of the Karma points... I just signed on to see Javelina got 'down voted' by two (yes I voted the comment back up by one...)

That is crap, she posted a Thank you because she had LEARNED SOMETHING. Which is one of the reasons people come here and have their experiences Published. We come here to Learn, Understand and Share our Experiences and if Thank You's are to be victimized by some A [at] [at] Whole with a grudge then we do not need them.

(FINISHED SPEAKING, CLIMBS OFF SOAP BOX, PUTS IT AWAY)

ROOK
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-07-19)
[at] Trybal_Knyte and Ivory,
I wanted to thank you both for continuing on with your personal experiences and the cultural similarities and differences the two of you have been raised in. It has been an enlightening experience for me to read about these things. I feel a bit silly now for my original assessment of your story and I apologize for any bad feelings I may have left you with. I do hope you both will continue adding to this as you have been doing, it is very educational.

Jav 😊
ivory (9 stories) (77 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-19)
hi again... According to your experience your family have the gift of 'sight'. By the way you describe your OBE (its just my opinion), its not technically an OBE but a manifestation of sight. I don't know if the technical term of it applies in your culture but you should ask for an explanation from your grandmother as she is the one who have more knowledge of it than we do.
Trybal_Knyte (6 stories) (37 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-19)
Kardagen
Yes and yes... Kind of... The old man part was more so the weird feeling than the partying. I did feel that way when we were. When I head into a party, gathering or anything of that nature, I often get vibes. Not only from the people but from the land. Especially places known for having bloodshed over the years. They are usually very subtle. But there are times when I can hardly breathe or relax because I am on edge due to the vibes I am feeling. When that happens, I usually pack my friends up and we leave. Funny how the next week we find out that a big fight broke out or a bad accident happened within minutes of us leaving. Could be coincidence like my brother and friends like to tell me. Its happened more times than I can count so I say if it isn't coincidence what is it? Thanks for the question.
kardagen (2 stories) (161 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-19)
I have a question, the old man you aided, had nothing to do with "the feeling in your gut" right? The feeling came from disturbing the tree while parting correct? Which in turn the tree was actualy a type of elemental entity... Or spirit right? Just trying to get my own mind wrapped around the circumstances.
Trybal_Knyte (6 stories) (37 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-19)
Ivory, like I said. REM sleep huh. Never heard of it but I will look into it. I cut my arm on debris on the side of the ditch that got kicked up by my tires swerving to avoid them. They don't feel like dreams though. They also vary not only in places but also people. One time I'd be a guy (I am male). Next time a child, next time a strung out female, next time an old woman. Its never the same. They also last for different amounts of time. Sometimes for almost and hour (my longest episode) to about 1 minute or two. It started very young. My only guess was this is probably what my grandmother meant when she said that I would be different. Then again, who knows. Thanks again.
Jesus_soldier (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Trybal_Knyte: It's all good, i'm not worried about that little stuff bro.

JS aka Brandon
ivory (9 stories) (77 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Hi I just re read some of the threads and I want to apologized for my outburst. I once practiced Wicca that's why I feel strongly when elemental beings are concerned especially tree spirits. I guess your beliefs might/might not be similar to my culture and you got a bloodline to protect but I still feel sorry for the tree spirit you killed (yes,by the way you describe it).

As for the 'water that should not be drink' (usually a small lake, pond or waterfall), we got a same belief in that although the difference is we could drink in it as long as we didn't despoiled the water (by throwing garbages or stones in it) or you'll end up having water spill in every orifice of your body. And the witchdoctor will end up having to offer sacrifices and beg for forgiveness to appeased the disturbed spirit. (That's what it is usually done in here)
ivory (9 stories) (77 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Maybe you just fall asleep, or in the beginning of either NREM or REM sleep (You can Google it).

How did you get yourself cut if you managed to avoid the ditch?
What did you exactly feel when you came back from your OBE?

I just want to clarify something. I'm not an expert in this field though but I already experienced OBE and it didn't just happened like yours did.
Trybal_Knyte (6 stories) (37 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Ivory,Aussie and Rook. Thanks for the advise, I don't know If I had explained it right or used the right terms. I just associated the terms to the similarities in my experiences yet they didn't quite have the definition right.

Quick case for you, I still have the scar from this which happened about 4 months ago. I was driving home from work (I work nights). As I was driving, my scenery changed from night to day, from island to urban and from cruising to high speed chase. I even looked different in the rear view. I was even speaking a foreign tongue. I was a completely different person. It lasted for what seemed to be like 10 minutes before I flashed back into my car and was about to veer into a ditch. I avoided the ditch but it costed a gash on my left arm. It was so weird. But this is not the first time it has happened to me. It happened from when I was young as I recall. I hope this kind of gives you a sense into what I am trying to explain. Thanks once again. Have a great week.
ivory (9 stories) (77 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
I did want to believe your story and some of your beliefs about the elemental beings are almost the same as ours, especially the body of water w/c you should never drink or touch in any way.

As for the OBE or astral projection, we always astral project whenever we dream (especially if we repeatedly dream about the same place over and over) but the thing is, OBE is more dangerous when your aware of doing it. Have you ever watch the movie Insidious? There's a ring of truth about that movie. I tried Astral projecting once and I never like it. (i'll never try it again as well) Its dangerous and if you want to try it I'm giving you a warning as someone who already experienced it. DO NOT TRY!
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
For my 1 and a half cent, I have walked my home out of body with absolute clarity of my surroundings... Edgar Cayce once referred too it as a state of super consciousness of which is the next step up from a lucid dream... Basically look around the room your in now and think about how clear and real your surroundings are... Because on this level its exactly the same... In fact I believe many people are induced out of body into these realms and have no recollection of dreaming prior or during the episode such is the reality of their situation and often they present there story as their memory was of being awake not asleep... Some clues to these types of accounts and one of the loonies daughters is an good example, any clocks visible during the experience are usually frozen in the moment, as time over there don't move like time here!

TTYL Regards Daz!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-18)
Trybal_Knyte,

You have asked this...

"Anyone experience OBE or astral projections while completely lucid and aware of your surroundings?"

I feel that an OBE can be either lucid (something a practiced individual can do at will) or something that happens 'spontaneously'...when we sleep or in cases like being put under for surgery (Not a 'near death' experience, that's something different).

Astral Projection is something we 'choose' to do. When someone 'Projects' themselves onto the Astral (Spiritual) Plane. So it is a very Lucid 'event'.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Respectfully,

Rook

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: