You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Grandmother's Voice

Real Ghost Stories

Grandmother's Voice

 

My story takes place several years ago when I was about 7 years old. It happened in Akron, Ohio. I had gone there with my father, mother, and 2 of my brothers to a hospital because my aunt had called my father on the phone and told him that my grandmother was in the hospital and in bad condition. My grandmother was a diabetic with heart problems and had fallen asleep on the couch and when my grandfather tried to wake her up, she couldn't be roused from her sleep. That is how it began.

Unfortunately, after days of holding our breath and the doctor's attempts to save her, they gave up and unplugged my grandmother from the machine. She never did wake up and never will. We felt sorry for my grandfather because he'd just lost the woman he'd loved since he was 16 and decided to stay over at his house for a few days. Also, staying over at his house instead of going home made us able to attend grandmother's funeral.

Grandmother's funeral took place four days after her death. Though we were all grieving, we tried to make the best of it and everyone tried to have a pleasant conversation in the living room. I, being a first grader, got bored with the adults talking and couldn't stand to see everyone to every once in a while cry. So, I left the room.

After doing so, I ran into the spare bedroom my household would sleep in whenever we happened to visit my grandfather and grandmother. Against the wall, there was a mattress that I always used to hide behind for fun all the time when I visited. I ran and crawled behind it and played make believe like it was a house. Next, I decided that the game was getting boring and that I wanted to go back to the living room. I peeked my head out from behind the mattress and looked towards that doorway that I'd soon be heading through.

When I did so, I saw this transparent white mass come into the room and start heading toward me. I was so scared that I hid back behind the mattress. I thought that maybe it was just my imagination playing tricks on me so I peeked my head out again from the same side. The mass was still there and it was in the shape of a human almost. It wasn't detailed but it appeared that it had legs and was walking toward me! I went to the other side of the mattress, but that only brought me closer to the thing that was now triggering my fight or flight response. I gathered up my courage and ran towards the door and around the transparent figure and as I was turning the corner to go into the hallway towards the kitchen, I very clearly heard my grandmother's voice call my nickname, "Sissy." It sounded like a call but was a whisper and it came from behind me!

I was so spooked from the apparition that had come toward me earlier that I didn't stop running away until I got to the living room. I attempted to tell my mother, but she said that she was not in the mood to joke. I never spoke of it to anyone else for years after that. My brother didn't believe me when I told him years later and thinks that it is because I read too many ghost stories and had made it up. My father is the only one who took me seriously and he can tell when I'm lying. He believed me and even shared with me his own experiences.

I wonder today what it was that I saw and heard that day. My own personal theory is that is was my grandmother visiting me again. She had seen that I was playing and as she would've done in life, came and tried to join in on the game. I feel the voice was her calling me back. Maybe she had seen that she had startled me and wanted to again do as she'd do in life, and comfort me. I will never know though.

I decided to share my story on this site because I have been fascinated with the paranormal since before I can remember and really want to know whether or not there is something. I want views and opinions also from many different people. Thank you for taking the time to read my story and please tell me what you think.

Other hauntings by lioncat97

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lioncat97, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lioncat97 (2 stories) (67 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-19)
Thank you all for your feedback. I really appreciate it. There are other claims in my family about seeing her after that it turns out. I am not the only one to see her. I am like them too scared to tell it to most of my family because then they think I am worshipping devils and bringing demons to me. To avoid that stuff I just shared my story this way. I am glad you do not judge me that way or even make an accusation. 😁 😳 ❤
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-16)
Your reaction to run out of the room was quite a normal one, but I'm glad your grandmother whispered your name before you got to far away just to let you know it was her, thank you for sharing and move on in your life knowing she's watching over you that much I'm sure about.
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-15)
I find myself having to agree with BadJuuJuu on this one. I too, believe it was your Grandmother trying to visit you again. I think that this is a wonderful story and definately shows what our Spirits are capable of even after death.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-15)
I think you are correct in believing that it was your grandmother you saw. I believe that loved ones will sometimes be able to say goodbye before crossing over. It's very sweet that she came to see you again. I'm glad that your father believed you.
mrfear672india (106 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-15)
Hi lioncat,
I think she not liked you to run away from her, that's why she called your name from behind.
Might be your dad too saw her that's why he believed you.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: