You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Black Dog, Shadow Dog

Real Ghost Stories

Black Dog, Shadow Dog

 

This story is one of the more recent. It happened only a few months ago.

Me and my partner had a wee bit of a fight so I decided to go for a walk to calm down a bit. I ended up in the park around the corner from my house. I was laying quietly on the slide staring at the sky when all of a sudden I started hearing noises. I ignored them as it was late at night and I'm scared of the dark so I thought it was my imagination and went back to staring at the sky.

The next thing I heard something that sounded like someone walking through leaves, which was strange as there were no leaves on the ground at this park. As I turned my head to the right, I saw a dark shadow of a dog walk past. It was the same size and build as a Greyhound. I could perfectly make out its tail, ears, snout and body, but could only see 2 of its 4 paws. It took 2-4 steps then was gone. The strangest part was, usually when I dog takes 4 steps you see all 4 paws, but even as it was taking these steps, I could only see 2 of its paws. Again I thought my imagination was playing games so again ignored it. Until I heard a dog panting.

When I sat up and looked around, I saw the same shadow dog on the opposite side of the park. At this point two rabbits (these I knew were real) came running across the park, looked towards where I had seen the "shadow dog" and froze. I sat there and watched them for nearly 20 minutes, and they didn't move. It was at this point that I felt uncomfortable and like I was being watched and walked home, making sure I left from the opposite side of the park to where I last saw this unknown...thing.

I told my partner about it the next day and he looked at me like I was crazy, so I'm not going to be surprised if you all think I am too.

Other hauntings by kristy-lee1985

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kristy-lee1985, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

catweazle (2 stories) (3 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-30)
A couple more discrepancies, I've never heard an Aussie refer to a 'slide' - slippery dip is what they are called over here. Also wild rabbits are not black & white & is it still illegal to own a pet rabbit in QLD or the Territory? The fines used to be pretty hefty if you were caught with one
Grimdog (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-15)
Your not crazy, I have heard far crazier things XD, on the same note don't be afraid of it, it didn't sound aggressive at all to me, there are stories of phantom dogs protecting travelers at night walking them safely home. Perhaps you had a guardian that night.
paranorm12 (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
you are not crazy, my nan had a dog called shadow, which is a little ironic, and he followed me everywhere. When he died I was crushed to the point of going into shutdown, that was, until I saw him againg but as a see through being, he still felt the same, but even now, shadow still walks about my nans house and lives like he used to. I even give him tidbits. πŸ˜†
Siskakes (4 stories) (68 posts)
+5
12 years ago (2012-08-08)
kristy-lee1985 - I felt like one of those bunnies, sitting frozen for 20 minutes just reading the comments and cringing everytime you replied with crass and absurdity! Only, I'm no ones 'pet' πŸ˜‰
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Taterbug,
Why oh why must it always end in the same fashion? You'd think by now something would have stuck. This is how many times now? Good Lord child, you spend so much energy just trying to get away with this crap that you must have learned something from it by this stage of the game. It is stunning to see you endlessly returning to the scene of the crime, not expecting to get busted and still fighting when you do.

Jav
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
πŸ˜† πŸ˜†And now the esteemed "guest" who goes through the trouble of making an account, just to comment on this one story from "Australia" πŸ˜†
Heartique (guest)
-4
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Nice story Kristy:) I haven't seen too many Australian stories on here yet! Thanks for sharing
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
Yep, the going to a park at night when you are afraid of the dark... Pretty suspect.
She has owned pet rabbits and knows the sounds they make... The screams and crying are something she has never heard before... But when she mentions the "crapload of noise" they make, she never mentions that she's never heard rabbits make noises like these before. Rabbits make these noises when they are in extreme distress, usually when they are under attack, they use them to warn the rest of their warren of danger and the result is that they sacrifice themselves... Bunnies do not try to freeze and hide after making blood curdling screams... Learn something about the animal world before trying to claim you know something about it.
I do not care how well lit a park is... If it is night, you cannot see the color of any beings eyes...period.
Your stories only serve to entertain you. If you are going to devote your time to something, why not look for something you are good at? It is impossible to pull the wool over well read folks' eyes if you are unable to control your emotions and attitude, Taylor. Maybe you should write children's books, I have to think you could probably fool at least ten percent of preschoolers...maybe.

Lou
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+5
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
kristy-lee - I'm just going to lay it out here, okay? I'm normally not this blunt. I try to be nice, and do everything I can not to hurt people's feelings, even at the risk of my own feelings, but here it is.

I don't believe you and I don't believe your stories. I will refrain from further commenting on your stories unless I need to in my status as a "mod," but as for a member, I'm not wasting my time.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
I have to chime in here...

You could tell that the bunnies were someones pet because of how friendly they were? In your experience you say this...

"At this point two rabbits (these I knew were real) came running across the park, looked towards where I had seen the "shadow dog" and froze. I sat there and watched them for nearly 20 minutes, and they didn't move. It was at this point that I felt uncomfortable and like I was being watched and walked home,..."

You observed them doing 'nothing' and yet you know how friendly they were?!?!?

Respectfully,

Rook

I have but one thing to say...'Brother Maynard, Brother Maynard bring forth the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.'

Puff Bayram
kristy-lee1985 (4 stories) (44 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-08-07)
did I say someone had let their pet rabbit run free? Did you ever think that they could of escaped somehow and yes have owned rabbits, funny thing, I owned dogs while I had those rabbits to, oh and one actually managed to escape WITH THE DOGS IN THE YARD so yes I do know how rabbits behave around dogs as it took me a week to catch my rabbit when it got out. I really don't care if you believe me or not.
Jesus_soldier (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
I must say, that was funny Red. The youtube link made the joke even more priceless.

JS aka Brandon πŸ˜†
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
Reddy, misquote or not, that was good, plus the link! I was LMAO, double time! πŸ˜†
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
😳 Even though I misquoted?!... Arthur says "We'll *not* risk another frontal assault..." ^-^
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
Oh Reddy, that was brilliant! Damn, I can only vote you up once! πŸ˜†
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
+5
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
"Well, we'll risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!"

😳 Sorry, had to.

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmu5sRIizdw
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
kristy-lee - I know I said I was going to move along too, but the longer you talk about these bunnies, the more absurd it sounds and I just can't keep my mouth shut.

You may actually think these were someone's pet πŸ€”, or you may be trying to convince us of this, but have you ever had pet rabbits? Well, I have. And one thing I can tell you for certain is this. They don't run free in a park where there is the slightest chance that a dog, or any other animal, can get to them. Because let me tell you, they will get eaten! Just in case you think I'm full of crap, here's a link I've provided just for you: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_animals_eat_rabbits

People do not let their pet rabbits/bunnies just roam free. OMG! Especially in a park! At night! Seriously?!
kristy-lee1985 (4 stories) (44 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
yes I am in the top end and I never said they were wild, you could tell by their friendliness that they were someone's pets
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-08-06)
kristy-lee1985: I'm gathering then that you live in the top end of Australia? Because as Shellzy said It is bloody cold here the nights especially. And rabbits whilst yes they are definitely around and you can see them sometimes, the wild rabbits are bloody stealthy things it is amazing that they would have been in that situation in the first place. Can I ask what state you are from?

Dan
kristy-lee1985 (4 stories) (44 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
if you had of bothered to ask instead of attacking me straight up you would of been told where I live and its actually hot here all the time, you no what I'm not even going to say anything because I'm such a liar and everything so believe what you want, its ok, ill just deactivate and find somewhere else to post my comments where people are mature enough to ask questions to clarify things instead of attacking people and expecting them to be nice.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
shelzy: I'm so glad one of our Aussies showed up 😊...Yeah, you know, maybe I should just run away "post hastily" before I start a "wee bit of an arguement"πŸ˜†

I'm sorry but there's just so many non-Aussie elements in all of these "stories" it's hard to pick a favorite! πŸ˜†
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
+8
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
I have to say a few things that alerted me to this story being b.s...
Firstly if the OP is so scared of the dark why on earth would you go to a deserted park at night by yourself? Hmmm

Secondly this sounds very much like Harry Potter to me... If I remember correctly in the 'Prisioner of Azkaban' movie, Harry ends up at a park after having a fight with his family and sees 'The Grim" which is a large black dod which is an omen of death... Hmmm how coincidental...

Thirdly the OP states in a comment below that there is a 'cold snap in Aus at the moment but the nights are warm... I don't know where your living girly but it's the middle of winter here, where I live the nights are bloody freezing (-1 degress celcius), seems the human element is missing

And for the rabbits in the park? Yep possible but unless they were someones escaped docile pets I don't know how likely they would hang around a human or dog for 2o mins...

Lastly I guess it proves no matter how many aliases you use, how you change your country of origin, the troll patrol will sniff you out!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
I'm thinking it may be time for another troll tune here, It has been awhile, hasn't it?

Jav
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
When language like this is used, comments like that get deleted. Just in case you are wondering.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
-1
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
Taylor: It may be your "time", but it certainly is not your "space"...I think I've made my point, so I'll move along and let the others haul out the Blankie... Have fun with that! 😊
kristy-lee1985 (4 stories) (44 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
I never once said I didn't notice you referred to me as Taylor to start with I just chose to ignore it as another pointless thing you were saying, if my stories make you "go hmmmm" then why bother wasting my time and space by commenting on them? I'm all for answering questions, but when no questions are being made and all you are doing is posting useless comments then how am I suppose to "clarify" anything. So if you think I'm full of it or not telling the truth good for you, hard for me to answer questions so as to make sure my stories make sense to all when no one is asking questions now isn't it. All you are doing is posting comments that are putting people down and stuff, sorry to say it but that's NOT a "discussion" it's call being a bully
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
Nope, granny, you're not the only one. I wondered why she didn't question it the first time you said something. She was all over BJJ for asking for clarification on a few points in the story, even going so far as to ask her to stop commenting on her story. Really?!

Yet she continues to ignore the fact you've blatantly referred to her as "Taylor" twice and has continued to respond to your comment as if she were Taylor. Me? I'd have been questioning whether or not you'd made a mistake and called me by the wrong name; put the comment on the wrong thread; or were just completely freaking out πŸ˜‰

Oh, the things that make you go hmmm... That a few other things on her stories πŸ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
Taylor: That's great!...But I think Martin will agree that no one has been disrespectful in this thread... I think that after all of the "stories" you've submitted, at some point you would have read the "Submissions Guidelines" and this point, which applies to this story:

"Please be aware that users of our site, many from different backgrounds and cultures, will provide feedback to your story and you may not personally agree with all of their comments. However, it is the nature of the web to have debates with very different opinions, and although you may be the only person who truly knows what happened in your story, you should not take it personally when some users disagrees or ask for additional information, but understand that it is part of normal discussions where people exchange ideas."

Speaking for myself, after having been duped by you before, I find it extremely hard to believe anything you write... Your approach at toning down the embelishments and changing your "home" country didn't work...

And am I the only one who finds it odd that "kristy-lee" is answering to the name "Taylor"?πŸ˜†
kristy-lee1985 (4 stories) (44 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
I have already contact admin about the disrespect and crap that has gone on here and am waiting for a replay, no point in pointing the finger at one person, there are quite a few of you being rude and disrespectful of other peoples feelings
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-04)
Taylor: Respect is a two way street... I haven't seen anyone being disrespectful with the exception of you...You've been outted, once again, and your frustration is showing...Now, keep it under control, or I will, once AGAIN, contact Martin...

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: