You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Voice In The Attic

Real Ghost Stories

The Voice In The Attic

 

This incident happened in Astoria, OR. I was about 9-10 years old. I was dropped off at my cousin's house. It is a very large house. Four stories including the basement, which is half in the ground coming out of a hill. This place always scared me. The feeling of being watched, seeing fleeting images and just messed up.

As I entered the house I yelled out, "Ryan." I heard a reply, "Up here." "Where?", "I'm upstairs." I made my way up the first flight of stairs. When I got to the top, I started looking around and couldn't find him. So I yelled out again, Ryan." "I'm up here," coming from the finished attic. So I went through the bedroom to get to the attic stairs, ran up the stairs and started to look for him again. I thought he was hiding. I went up to the window, looked out and saw Ryan outside in the woods, building a fort or something. I began to realize what just happened and felt sick to my stomach. There was only one way up to the attic and I know I didn't pass him. I was just standing there for what felt like minutes but could have been seconds. I had a tendency of being scared frozen by this kind of thing.

I am not sure after this point if I heard the floors creek because of me or something else. But I do know that when I started to move I was on a full out sprint down three flights of stairs to get out into the backyard with my cousin. I didn't tell him anything about what happened, although he asked what was wrong. I do know the voice I heard sounded identical to my cousin's voice. Looking back I remember feeling uncomfortable about going upstairs, but Ryan was my older cousin so I just went.

Less than a block away was an old cemetery, at the top of the hill. Oddly enough, we used to play flashlight tag there and I never had anything even remotely freaky happen. His house on the other hand was not right.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 1spooky, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

GACBrittany (1 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-03-28)
Wow! Your story sounds really interesting! I know that Astoria, OR is a very haunted place. I work on a popular paranormal TV show and would like to chat with you about your experience. Please send me a private message or respond to this to let me know how I can contact you. Thank you!
WishfulNull (151 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-17)
What a delightfully chilling story! 😨 I have often wondered if it's possible for a house to absorb or record the energy/habits of a living person, and then "play" it back, just like a residual haunting. Just out of curiosity, was your older cousin in his teens at the time? That seems to be a time of heightened energy...

I am also sorry to hear about your cousin's diagnosis ❤

Thank you for sharing this experience!
GabrielladeLioncourt (5 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
I know how scared you were, I haven't heard the voice of someone I know but completely walked into a room, saw my father but when I went in another room, I realised my father was at work until late at night and it was only the afternoon. I ran back to where I saw the entity and it was gone. This hapenned 2 times.

But I did hear the front door open and heard my mom saying hello while doing so. But when I get out of my room to go greet her my mom isn't there. She was also at work.

I believe that spirits and entities have the ability to imitate your loved ones to fool you or just for your attention.

Im sorry for your cousin and wish you all the best ❤
1spooky (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
He did to many drugs in life. I have spoken to him and he isn't the same. I agree that people could be gifted (psychic) and misdiagnosed but unfortunately his isn't the case.
sonri (2 stories) (91 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
I wouldn't like to be clumsy about how I word this. But, many people have been, I believe, tragically misdiagnosed schezophrenic. Did your cousin always live in this house? Do you agree with this diagnosis?
1spooky (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-05)
Blackmoonmage, Yup I was in the attic, when I realized there was no one there.

SwordSpirit, I never did tell him, although I told him about stuff in my house. I guess I didn't want to scare him. And now he is suffering from schizophrenia.

Peterspirit, personally I don't think what ever it was, was ever human. Although I have thought about the fact, I have never seen, sensed or heard a spirit more than 200-300 years old. Maybe they turn into shadows after they forget they were alive?
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-04)
Hey 1spooky,

A friend of mine who has seen ghosts all of his life told me that they sometimes will imitate the voices of people we know just to catch our attention. I remember me and my mother hearing my father calling us from upstairs in our house while he was in the garden.
I came here and saw the title of your sharing and said: I want to read this, it was the right choise! Thanks!

Peter,
SwordSpirit (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-04)
I hate attics! They creep me out so much, did you ever tell your cousin about it?
Blackmoonmage20 (1 stories) (58 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-04)
That really gave me the creeps!That's why I hate attics... Did you reached the attic when you looked through the window? 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: