You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Ghost In My Basement Tried To Speak To Me

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost In My Basement Tried To Speak To Me

 

Hey there folks! I keep meaning to post more of my experiences to this site. I just didn't expect to be posting experience I had last night. Then again, I didn't expect to HAVE an experience last night.

If you've read my profile, then you know that my area has A LOT of history. So it's a no brainier that my house is haunted. But what you don't know is that my house gets even MORE active when there are renovations being done. Well a few weeks ago, our toilet leaked and rotted out the floor underneath. It was so bad, that we were told the bathroom would pretty much have to be gutted, and the floor taken all the way down to the studs and replaced.

I knew the second I heard that, that I was going to have encounters while our bathroom was being rebuilt. I just did expect things to get stirred up before demo even began.

Last night I was up late getting my lunch and everything ready for the coming work day. I went down to the basement to switch a load of laundry from the washer over to the dryer. It was late and I was tired but I wanted it done. I'm not kidding, it was like 2 in the morning when I was doing this. Because I decided to be silly and fell asleep in a Livingroom chair. So down I went.

I was listening to music while I was down there. Something that I always do. The entire time I was down there I felt like someone was standing so close to me I would run into them if I turned around. The entire time I was down there, the air felt really heavy. Like something didn't want me down there. I finished switching laundry around and went to go back upstairs. I paused in front of the stairs just long enough to set a timer. While I was standing there, I felt like something was standing right next to me. I heard something say "who?" Near me. To say I sprinted up the stairs and closed the door behind me is an understatement. I felt like something was chasing me. The hair on the back of my neck went up, and chills went down my spine.

I finished the rest of my chores as quickly as possible, before racing up to my bedroom as quickly and quietly as possible. I felt like there was something right behind me the entire time.

This all went down before the bathroom renovation started. I have at least a week to go before the work is done. Wish me luck.

Other hauntings by Cole_Harris

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Cole_Harris, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Twilight1011 (9 stories) (320 posts)
 
2 months ago (2024-03-02)
I doubt the poster will ever see this, but I still want to say. I'm very curious if it was possible, that when you believed "it" had said "who", if it really had said "Boo" 😅 lol I can't help but wonder the possibility of that being what it might have said, as you then go on to state, how it felt like it then, chased you up the basement stairs. I don't understand why if it had said "who", why it would then chase you, unless it said "boo", to try and frighten you, and chases you out the basement. To me, that makes more sense, but I understand that when it comes to the supernatural, there's a good bit of it, that's confusing to understand, so I don't mean to imply that my theory is more likely, I'm just curious if it is possible. Granted, if I am correct, it doesn't exactly make you feel any better, to find out that the ghost in your basement, likes to go as far as to say "boo", to where you can hear it, before it chases you. For me, that would only make it worse, to have something I can't see, but only feel, say that, before chasing me. đŸ˜± Anyways, like I said, I know this is an old post, but couldn't help but wonder. I know how silly it may sound, but I'd imagine it knows how scary saying that could be to someone, when it's being said by an actual ghost. But I hope you're still doing good there, and not having to many problems with your "roommates". Hopefully you'll drop in sometime soon, and see this â˜ș
Firas3 (1 posts)
+2
1 year ago (2023-03-15)
Hey Cole, Guess we're really close. I live in Schenectady:0
Pelatiah (4 stories) (74 posts)
+4
1 year ago (2022-12-19)
I did not mean to smile at your story about running upstairs, but it reminded me of going to my grandparents' house as a child. They kept the case of soda pop at the bottom of the stairs & around a corner & none of us kids wanted to be the last person to pick their bottle because then we'd be the last one up the stairs. THAT was terrifying. But I had no idea why. After I started believing more in spirits (in my mid-fifties, recently) I realized my great grandfather had lived down there in the last days of his life... Before I was born. Maybe it was him! Anyway, in my ancestry research I ran across a history book by one Jeptha Simms: "The History of Schoharie County & the Border Wars." You might be into it... Written in 1840, the writing style is beautiful. It's online also, just google.
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
+2
1 year ago (2022-12-15)
Hi Cole_Harris

I wonder what this particular spirit wants to tell you.

Do you know why exactly the native American people avoid the area, like the real reason why it's cursed? I suppose that they would know more about the ancient history regarding the area.

P.S good luck with the remaining work that needs to be done.
amon (1 stories) (10 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-12-13)
Huh...interesting and thanks for the speedy reply! Obviously your area has a lot of violent death associated with it but have you ever noticed a correlation between your family heirlooms and the hauntings? I know you've had some experiences in your basement where the heirlooms are stored so I'm just wondering if one of the spirits could possibly be a past family member trying to reach you.

Have you ever tried contacting these spirits, even just verbally? I'd be curious to know if you have and ever got a response.

Thanks again for the quick reply!
Cole_Harris (11 stories) (29 posts)
+4
1 year ago (2022-12-13)
Amon. I live in a smallish town just north of Schenectady. Like you read on my profile the area played a pretty major part in American history.

Most of the spirits in my house don't necessarily feel like they're mean. They're just type that want to be acknowledged and then left alone. My family has a lot of antiques and family heirlooms in our basement. So any time we have to go down there, it's like we're entering "their space."

I've also been doing some more research. I've discovered that the local Native American tribes avoided the area as much as possible. Because they believed it was cursed. There are even reports of a "Nessie" like creature living in our local lake, with reported sightings as recent as the 90s.
DreamBird (7 stories) (25 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-12-13)
Hi Cole,
That sounds absolutely terrifying! Just the fact that you could first sense a presence and then when you actually heard the voice it was like the grand finale of the whole encounter. I would have run too! Thanks for sharing!

-DreamBird
amon (1 stories) (10 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-12-13)
Hi Cole, I completely understand if you don't want to share this information but if you do I'd be curious to know what town you live in or are near. I grew up in NY (Westchester) until I was 8 and all of my family is/was scattered around the NE. I was also a history major in college (Russian history) but love reading about American history, especially the Revolutionary War, Native American battles, Civil War and the American West.

I read your bio and it sounds like you live in a very cool house and in an interesting area! When I was younger I always wanted to live in a haunted house but now I'm not so sure. I think I may be a little intimidated and uncomfortable.

Have you ever tried contacting any of these spirits whether it be verbally, EVP's, notes, flashlight, etc? If so, did you ever get a response?

I'm sure it's scary no matter what but do they seem threatening? I apologize if you've already answered these questions, I've just started reading one of your other stories.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: