You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Why I Refuse To Sleep In The Basement

Real Ghost Stories

Why I Refuse To Sleep In The Basement

 

My basement has always given me a feeling of fright, so sleeping down there was never an option for me until there was no other option.

For context, I always felt watched when down there, and there was always an intense feeling of not being alone despite knowing no one else was with you. Well, that no one else alive and breathing was with you. For many years I avoided the basement. I would only go if, at least two others would be with me. I was the type of kid to zoom up the stairs and out of the basement. I still get the feeling of something behind me as I go back up. Currently, I only go into the basement to grab frozen food or to do my laundry. The feeling I've always gotten down there has not left though.

This story takes place in July 2018. I was twelve when it happened. It was a hot summer that year. The air was very humid, and it felt sweltering outside. The air conditioner in our home had recently stopped working, and the house had started to become unbearably hot. The only spot in the house that was cold was the basement, so that is where we had to sleep for a few days. The first few nights were fine. Nothing happened at all until the night before the air conditioner was fixed.

That night I was struggling to sleep. I'd felt so uncomfortable for absolutely no reason, but I just brushed it off as most twelve-year-olds would. I went to bed at 12ish that night. After what felt like seconds, I awoke abruptly. I remember sitting up and looking towards the small space under the stairs that lead into a storage room. I saw a figure slowly gliding towards me from the stair space. I don't remember exactly how this figure looked, but I remember it being black, solid, and its shape reminded me of a blob. I remember closing my eyes after that, but that's all I can remember of that one. I assume I had fallen back asleep. Once again, I wake up abruptly after what felt like minutes of sleep. This time, instead of looking at the darkest spot, I looked at the laundry room entryway. I thought, if I looked towards the most lit-up area, then I wouldn't see anything scary.

Thinking about it now, I don't see it as scary, but younger me sure did. Instead of seeing an empty doorway, I saw another blob-like figure. It was almost like that last one, except this one was pure white and had black spots for eyes. It was solid white. You couldn't see anything through it. No light seemed to pass through either, but it didn't have a shadow. Like the last one, it seemed to glide towards me. Before it could get even 6 ft away from me, I hid under my blanket. I fell asleep almost instantly after. I slept the rest of the night.

The next morning I grabbed all my stuff and headed upstairs. Ever since then, I have not slept in the basement.

Other hauntings by LonerGirl

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LonerGirl, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Lilcat21310 (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
3 years ago (2021-04-19)
Me:*reads title*
Me: I think my basement is creepy at night tho my grandpa sleeps down there😓
LonerGirl (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
3 years ago (2021-04-13)
I was the only one that had seen it and I told my sister about before
Rajine (14 stories) (740 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-04-13)
Hi Lonergirl

Reading your story reminds me of something similar I've experienced as a kid, perhaps I'll write about it soon, but the gist of it for now is that I always was creeped out by a corner of our back yard growing up, not really sure why but I could play anywhere except for that particular area.

You did mention in your narrative "The only spot in the house that was cold was the basement, so that is where we had to sleep for a few days" I'm assuming you weren't alone in the basement when you had your experience, did anyone experience this or did you talk to someone about it?
TravisCannabis (69 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-04-13)
That's cool. Maybe the yin and Yang twins got detached and were looking for each other? 🤔
Has anyone else seen them?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: