You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Encounters With Shadow People

Real Ghost Stories

Encounters With Shadow People

 

In the mid 1970's, my parents bought a house in Canoga Park, located in the San Fernando Valley. The house had a history unknown to them at that time. I was born several years after, and this is where my true story begins.

The house is a standard 1950's ranch style with a large backyard and swimming pool. There was also an olive tree that was planted there in the 1800's. The location of the neighborhood was built on the land sold off by Workman Ranch located about one mile from the house. A remnant of Workman Ranch is now a small park called Shadow Ranch.

I had my first experience when I was about three years old. I waked into my bedroom turned the light on. I saw a shadow on the floor. What I saw looked like a curled up person in a fetal position. After about 10 seconds, it just swirled away. I didn't feel scared at the time. I just stared at it. I still remember it as clear today as I did then. The Shadow Person looked like an almost 3 dimensional shadow. It was dark and had the outline of a man. After this event things started to get more regular, strange, and frightening.

Over a period of a several months, I started to get increasingly scared to sleep in my bedroom due to having a general feeling of uneasiness. Thankfully, after lots of crying, my parents allowed me to sleep in their room. I decided to sleep at the foot of the bed on the floor. I made my makeshift bed and fell asleep with my feet toward the doorway. One night, I was awoken in the middle of the night having a pinpoint burning pain on the bottom of my foot. Looking up and toward the doorway with the hall light on, I saw a Shadow Person leaning against the doorway staring at me.

This lasted for about 10 seconds. This time was different. I got a very scared feeling. A feeling that would subside and continue.

Many small and creepy things happened for several years after that. One example was seeing the "bunny ears" on the old TV sets move in circles while I was in my parents' room alone. At the time, I never really told my parents about the Shadow People I saw, and why I was scared. During that time my mom had my brother.

Another frightening event happened when I was about six or seven years old, and my brother was about four. On the top of the door of my room was one of those orange Nerf basketball plastic hoops that had a foam orange ball. One day my brother and I where alone in the room trying to see who could make more baskets. Somehow, the foam ball got jammed in between the top of the door and plastic hoop. There was a table next to the door, so I stood on it and tried to reach the ball. The next thing I remember was my dad lifting me up and getting my head out of the plastic hoop on top of the door. I was way too short at the time for my head to reach on top of the door even while standing on the table. Whatever it was in that house tried to hang me. This is when I started to tell my parents about me feeling scared in the house, but not about the Shadow People.

There were many minor occurrences for a couple years after that. There was also a reddish stain on the ceiling in the corner of my parents' room as long as I could remember. That stain was bleached, painted over, and respackled many times, but the stain would always come back. We eventually moved out of that house shortly after my sister was born. As I got into my teenage years, I would talk to my parents about the things I saw and experienced in the "Old House" as we call it.

My dad is not very open minded about "ghosts", but even he admitted that the house was "weird". My mom told me how shortly after moving into the house, one of the neighbors told her the story of the house my parents just bought. Apparently there were three drug dealers who liked to party that lived in the house in the 1960's. One night during a party, someone they owed money to came in with a shotgun and shot the three people and killed them. Apparently, at the time my parents bought the house, realtors didn't have to disclose if people where murdered in a house.

I still think about the events of the "Old House" from time to time. I even drive by it once in a very blue moon and sometimes think if the subsequent people who bought the house experience anything. I even wonder if the house was ever for sale, if I would go in and check it out. I think the memories of my old house will suffice for now.

Any comments or questions are welcome. Thank you for taking the time to read my true and honest story.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sixpoints, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Jon7088 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-02)
If anyone can tell me what's going on please send me an email, eliteairsoft5 [at] gmail.com, three nights ago I was on my iPod, about 12:00 at night, and the light of it was on my arm, then on my arm moves a black shadow that looked like a hand, the only thing behind me was my wall though, so therefore nothing was there, I have no idea what it was and every night since then when I wake up my bed is like completely destroyed, sheets off, pillow on the ground, and the thing above the mattress is like ripped off completely, this NEVER happens to me and it's happened every day four the past to nights, again if you know what this is please email me, I'm not scared just curiouse lol
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-22)
Sixpoints,
Interesting account. I was born in San Fernando and I do have a theory I'd like to toss at you. First of all I believe you were experiencing some inteligent interaction at your previous residence. The figures being 3D and dark throughout could be because of the mindset of the individuals at the time of their death. It isn't too much of a stretch to see how this may have effected the way their image appears in the afterlife. If they have guilt and regret for the things they were involved in at the time of their passing, those emotions may have a bearing on how they appear to some of us. Being two innocent children and seeing the dark figure appear would have generated quite a bit of fear. It's been an accepted theory that the energy they require to accomplish a physical manifestation, in the cases involving malevolent or mean spirits, may be derived from the fear they induce in humans, children especially. The act of putting you up and into the hoop, had to have taken a enormous amount of energy to accomplish. That's probably why you don't recall how you actually got there, the fear was that intense.
I have another idea about this particular set of occurrences. Canoga Park and the San Fernando Valley as a whole, sit along the San Andreas Fault. We all know how fun that can be, don't we? Can you ever recall a time when you would go for weeks without 'feeling' any tremors? I know it's rare, but even though the shift of the faultline is a constant, sometimes the movement is barely imperceptible to humans. It may be because we are used to it, who knows? But I have always wondered about how that would affect earthbound spirits. Does the activity of these spirits pick up when the shift becomes stronger? I think it would almost have to, considering the energy released is so massive.
Just something you may want to consider, should you ever be faced with this sort of activity in the future.

Jav
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-20)
My nephew could reach light switches at 3 and I don't consider him either tall or short, just average height. We have had many discussions on YGS about memories in young children. I believe this poster's reports of memories when she was age 3 are entirely plausible. As for the incidents themselves, it sounds more like an intelligent haunt than strictly a shadow person encounter. I'd be very curious to know what your skeptical dad had experienced that led him to go so far as to dub the house "weird."
Sixpoints (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
[at] Blackmoonmage20,I don't know if turning on a light switch at three is considered that advanced. I was always pretty tall. My dad never gave me a definitive answer on how my head got in the hoop. At first he said that I put my head in myself... I said I didn't...he had me try to recreate what I did and I was not tall enough to fit my head in.
Sixpoints (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
[at] sailynh12,No experiences in my current house. I for sure don't have the uneasiness I used to have.Thanks.
swaggy (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
I also have had expirences with weird shadow creatures. When I was six years old, me and my friend were jumping on my bed and my closet door was wide open. A tall black figure ran out of the closet and into the hall way, we both saw it and started crying when my mom came we told her what had happened but she just said it was nothing. I've seen many more of these shadow creatures sense then.
Cliney1212 (4 stories) (121 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
Your story reminds me of an episode of celebrity ghost stories. Where Mark Curry (from hangin with Mr Cooper) bought a house that was haunted. It's previous owners ran it as a speakeasy and there was some argument and a fight lead to a murder. You can watch the episodes online check it out. 😊
Blackmoonmage20 (1 stories) (58 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
I'm curious about this that when you are about three, you turned on the light?Aren't you a little too young by that time? Did you also asked your dad on how did your head got into the hoop? And thank you for sharing your story! 😊
sailynh12 (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-18)
How are you doing now in your new home? Are you More relaxed? If you want to know more aboit ghost please let me know

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: