You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Farmer and his Daughter

Real Ghost Stories

The Farmer and his Daughter

 

I was eight years old when we moved to Colts Neck, New Jersey in 1976. My parents had the house built on about an acre and a half of property. The homes in the area were pretty new although the town itself dated back to the seventeen hundreds. My family is large so we were all excited to move into the six bedroom colonial. My two brothers were the oldest and my parents gave them the two downstairs bedrooms that jutted off the wing of the garage.

For the first year, things were normal until the day my brother Mike began complaining of noises outside his bedroom window. At first, he said it sounded like bushes rustling in the wind and scraping against the siding and glass panes. My mom was skeptical since there were no bushes or shrubs planted in the back of the house.

As months went by, the noises continued and increased to a soft thud and then a sliding sound, like a person bailing hay against a barn wall. He didn't seem to mind the noises all that much but when his closet doors would open by themselves it really freaked him out and he tried to tell our parents that he thought something was in the house but of course, they were cynical, since no one else had experienced anything. My tough seventeen year old brother began sleeping with the lights and his t.v. on.

Before long, things started to disappear and reappear in very odd places. Car keys would disappear from the table and turn up in the kitchen cabinets. My brother's watch vanished for two weeks before ending up in the garage under a box of christmas decorations. Even my grandmother's false teeth went missing never to return. (They weren't in her mouth!)

When my oldest brother Rene left for college, I would stay in his room sometimes. He had a great t.v. and an even better stereo system. The room was cold very often and when I slept there, I would have the most vivid dreams, not scary but incredibly real. On several occasions, I would wake up freezing to find the blankets piled on the floor at the foot of the bed. Despite that, I really enjoyed that room until my brother's girlfriend came to stay one weekend.

We were eating breakfast when she asked my dad if he came into the bedroom the previous night. My dad said he hadn't. My brother Rene grew very quiet when I think back to it. She went on to explain an eerie story. She said she woke when she heard her name being called. It was a man's voice and when she answered there was no response. Attributing it to a dream, she drifted back to sleep only to be called again. This time she saw the figure of a man standing over her. She said he was tall and thin and on further groggy observation, noticed he had sharp features and was wearing a floppy brimmed hat and a frockish type coat. She could not see his eyes but he was illuminated by a faint bluish aura. He stood for a moment and then made his way to the foot of the bed and out the wall. Thinking it was a dream, she went back to sleep.

By this time my brother was pretty pale at listening to her story. Rene is a pure cynic, black or white only, no gray area need apply. He hesitantly told of an identical experience that had happened to him a few weeks before leaving for Glassboro State. He never mentioned it for fear we all would think he was crazy. His girl was pretty mad that he hadn't told her and let her sleep in the room. Night lights became a staple in that back bedroom from then on.

Not long after, my mom was in the kitchen. She turned to put something on the counter when she saw the figure of a little girl dressed in period clothing, bonnet and all staring out our picture window. As soon as she saw her she vanished. Like I said, Colts Neck is old. Phalanx Rd was a main thorofare for the original settlers. Archeologists would do digs in the surrounding areas and find old glass medicine bottles, farming yokes and remains of old homes that used to be. Back in the woods by the reservoir there is a grave monument. I was young and can't remember the name or the inscription but it was very old and very out of place back there in the undeveloped woods.

Was it the spirit of a farmer that used to live and farm on the land our house was built on? Was that his daughter? Did they die in the rumored fire at Phalanx and don't know they've gone? I guess we'll never know. We moved out in 1984 and settled into a very unhaunted house in Whippany.

I wonder if the people that took our place have had any experiences and if my mom who passed in that house in 1983 has left her impression there. It certainly opened my eyes to the mysteries that our human form cannot not fathom or solve.

Other hauntings by gbeach

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, gbeach, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

katiekay926 (2 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-08)
I'm super late to the party! I live in Lincroft on the reservoir. I am curious where your old house was... You had to have known one of the Guinessey's if you lived in that area during that era... Please message me back! Also google North American phalanx... It might explain your family's experiences
katiekay926 (2 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-08)
I'm super late to the party! I live in Lincroft on the reservoir. I am curious where your old house was... You had to have known one of the Guinessey's if you lived in that area during that era... Please message me back!
gbeach (3 stories) (9 posts)
+2
17 years ago (2007-08-07)
Hey Lean01!
I understood your comments to enchantee. Wow Wowee! I don't think he did. But that's ok, he needs to re-read it. Wrote the Coyote Restaurant story last nite. Make sure you check the link for pics, vids and evps.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+2
17 years ago (2007-08-07)
To gbeach, what a good story! I really enjoyed it and you do write very well. I'm looking forward to your new stories about your haunted restaurant, pics too please!
Lian01- I think you were a demon in a past life, maybe even still. WOW.Wowee. Sorry, it had to be said. 😉
lian01 (3 stories) (65 posts)
+2
17 years ago (2007-08-07)
I think you should definately go back and visit! Take some pictures. But that's easy for me to say, I live thousands of miles away! Again though, great story!
I'd have commented back sooner but I've only just got over the hurt and shock that Enchantee doesn't read my posts! *wiping away a tear

For the record Enchantee, my original post wasn't intended to be nasty or sarcastic, I genuinely like reading your comments. Just because I don't understand something, doesn't mean I don't enjoy trying to.
Maybe one day you'll read some of my comments and see that I'm not all bad, in fact I think I'm rather nice! 😆
P.S. Sorry for causing a fuss in someone else's post... If I made someone go 'WOW. Wowee' I must be causing a stir! 😉
eekamouse (18 posts)
+2
17 years ago (2007-08-06)
Seems you get made fun of if you comment here. I will try not to pay any compliments to anyone elses post.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+2
17 years ago (2007-08-05)
Gbeach thank you for sharing your story with us, it is very well told. Hopefully you were not too confused by some of the comments posted here.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
gbeach (3 stories) (9 posts)
+2
17 years ago (2007-08-05)
Dear Lian,
Im glad you enjoyed the story. I wish I still lived in that house too! My sisters and I were contemplating returning there for a visit to ask the owner for a tour and ask the inevitable question, " So? Have seen any spookies? " Although the house I live in now is normal, the restaurant I work in now is not! I'll be posting the story (I hope) and give the link to the paranormalists web site so you all can see pics and videos!
lian01 (3 stories) (65 posts)
+2
17 years ago (2007-08-05)
As ever Enchantee, I have no idea what you were saying in your comment, but I love reading them!
This story is really good! It's written so well, I was actually scared! 😉
I wish you still lived there so you could tell more stories!
I really sound like I'm sucking up don't I? Sorry about that, I just liked your story!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: