You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Our Old Farm House

Real Ghost Stories

Our Old Farm House

 

I grew up in a small town (more projects than anything else, we lived in the "new homes"), before moving to a small farming community when my mother divorced my father. We moved in with my mother's new husband in his farm house. This house had all the makings of a haunted home. The basement had a dirt floor room, very low ceilings, the only thing we had down there were shelves for when we canned. I rarely ever went down there.

I had a small room downstairs (that was previously used as an office), while my parents and my brothers' room was upstairs. I always felt uneasy being in that home, just looking at it gives me the goose bumps to this day.

A couple of things happened... My brother, step-father and I were in the living room one afternoon and all the sudden we heard the upstairs toilet flush and the lid slam. My heart was pounding. My step-dad went on to say "I guess they have to go too!" I was not amused. Another incident occurred when I was looking in my closet (it was upstairs, because my room did not have one) and I saw a man with long hair, a flannel shirt and jeans walk out of the bathroom and into the wall. I think I was so shocked at what I saw, it almost felt like I couldn't control my body. I walked down the stairs and into the kitchen and just stood there dumbfounded. My step-dad walked in and asked what was wrong, and I said "I think I just saw a ghost..." I explained to him what I saw and he told me that in the late 70s and man fell into a wood chipper at a local company who used to live in the house, he was friends with him. He then went on to tell me that he thinks he sees things all the time. I was very happy to move out of that house.

This may sound silly, but even thought I get so scared about the supernatural, I am so interested in it. I just recently bought a house with my fiance and I just wonder if anything will happen here. I've read a lot of stories that started out with "everything was normal until..."

We'll see!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jodi, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

paggark (4 stories) (25 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-07)
Hi Jodi, I like your step-dad's humor, at least he's open unlike me and my family when we encounter something until someone mentions what they encountered then it's all ghost story encounter in the past which is fun, interesting and some what scary 😜 😆 well hope you do ok in your new house with your fiance. Have a good day ^-^
Jodi (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-06)
Thanks for your comments guys, so far, nothing is going on in my new house. It was built in 1966; not very old at all. I doubt anything is there, just my imagination getting the best of me.
melonlover (3 stories) (50 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-06)
Well all I can say is I hope it doesn't happen to you again because I know how it feels. Love, the melon lover
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-05)
Dear Jodi,

I think your step-dad is great for being open and also admitting that he also saw things all the time.

From your story it sounds like the past owner was still dropping by or staying in his home. Since his death was traumatic, it may be that he is an earthbound ghost, a human being who is dead and is trapped here in the 3D physical world. That is unfortunately a common explanation for a ghost haunting like the one you experienced.

As for wanting to not be afraid and to be scared to death at the same time, while interested in finding out more. It seems to be a common trait for most human beings. In this case, I say be curious, but also be smart, research, be responsible and use common sense and caution when faced with any and all unknowns. After that, take the risk, jump into an investigation and quest to know the unknown until it is known. This is what keeps life interesting and unending.

You may consider having your new home blessed by any religious person or practitioner your belief system supports (e.g. Minister, priest, shaman, Native American medicine person and feng shui practitioner). You may wish to research further the best practices to use that fit your comfort zone in which to clear your home of leftover energies from previous residents.

It is by far better to have a peaceful, happy home to live one's life in with their loved ones and beloved pets,--that is only inhabited by those who are living and who actually own or rent it. Life and living is difficult at times then to have uninvited and freeloading guests who really need to be elsewhere. 😊

Best wishes for a peaceful and happy home sweet home, Abby
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-08-04)
Hi Jodi, I love your step-dad humor. And yes, many people are fascinated by what terrifies them, in a way. A lot of them would read ghost stories day and night but if something did happen in their houses, they would move in a heart beat 😜 It's not uncommon. I'm probably one of them.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: