You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Childhood Experiences On The Farm

Real Ghost Stories

Childhood Experiences On The Farm

 

I have had quite a few experiences growing up at our old farmhouse in Ohio. What better place to start than at the beginning of our time at the house!

My parents divorced when I was around three months old and my mom very quickly met and married my step dad. Prior to my mom and step dad getting married, his father bought the old farmhouse across the road from the farm he grew up on. These two houses are the only houses on our mile stretch of country road. The house sits back quite a ways from the road and is surrounded by fields (corn, wheat, and/or soya beans) on three sides and our 25 acre woods on the fourth side. After purchasing the house, my step dad and his dad began fixing it up before we moved into the house.

This event, the first one we were told about, happened to my step dad. He is the very stereotypical step dad in that he is a no nonsense, blunt, and rough around the edges kind of guy, so when he relayed this to us when we were older, it creeped us out mostly because we knew he would never just tell stories and because of our own strange experiences growing up.

One day my step dad went out to the farm after work to try to finish fixing up the bathroom, which is on the main floor just off the living room. He was intently working when all of a sudden he heard what, to him, sounded like someone upstairs in the far bedroom banging or hammering. He thought to himself that maybe his dad had managed to get past him without him noticing and was working upstairs. He called out to him to say "hello", but got no response. He shrugged it off. His dad was getting old and probably just didn't hear him.

My step dad got back to what he was doing when a few minutes later he heard the banging again from upstairs. This time he walked out of the bathroom, into the living room, made an immediate left and entered the enclosed stairwell that led upstairs. When he reached the top he was in a large open room we later dubbed the "playroom". Off of this room are two bedrooms. One directly to the right and the other to the far right. The bedroom on the far right was where the noise was coming from, so he walked directly in there to ask his dad what he was making all the noise for up here. Except no one was in the room. He quickly looked out the window to see if maybe his dad was outside taking a break, but his car was the only car in the driveway. If his dad had been up there and left immediately after the second banging noise my step dad heard, he would have passed him on the stairs. There is no other way downstairs or outside unless he were to jump from a second story window. As much as he didn't want to admit to it, my step dad was pretty scared and as quickly as he could, he exited the house and left. He went to his parents' house and asked his dad if he was at the farm earlier, to which he replied, very obviously, "no".

After that my step dad never did work alone at the house. We moved in soon after and that is when the fun really started. I'm going to split this up into a few posts. There is a lot to tell and I don't want to drone on and on. So, thank you for reading and there is more to come!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, roccermom85, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
7 years ago (2016-12-08)
I cannot wait to get to the second part of this. I love stories like this 😊
roccermom85 (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-11-03)
Thank you enlightened! I will check out your story!

Mack! Thank you for reading and I'm glad you liked it. I have no idea what the reason for knocking/pounding would be. Maybe, after I post a few more of the experiences we all had in this house, you'll strongly consider the possibility of it being a warning of sorts. Who really knows. I'm going to get started on the next story. I'm anxious to read what all you wonderful people have to say about my haunted childhood. Lol.

Thank you for commenting and don't you dare change that channel!
shelbyloree (5 stories) (285 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-29)
Mack - maybe 'it' was trying to help finish the house? Or the activity of building 'woke up' the entity who had possibly built something there before so the noises were residual?

I don't know, just throwing ideas out there.
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-10-29)
Hi Roccermom85 - thanks for sharing. Yes the banging / hammering thing. I'm continuously fascinated as to what that actually is and if it IS spiritual activity then - WHY? Is it attention-seeking? Is it a way of simply annoying / frightening somebody, a way of wasting their time? It seems so senseless and random 😕

If it's attempted communication from the spirit realm to the material plane, it's a bit hit and miss (no pun intended), there must be other more productive ways to make contact than seemingly random banging / rapping? But as you say, wait, there's more...

Of course there's always the non-paranormal explanation but in this case, it seems unlikely...

Regards

Mack
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-10-26)
roccermon85- Welcome to YGS and I'm looking forward as well to reading more about "The Farm".

Thanks for sharing 😁
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-10-25)
Great! I'm looking forward to reading more about your experiences! I have also submitted a story that has not yet been posted but I sure hope it does. I think I names it "New Home"...the road we live on is Southside Rd. So if you see that story, you have to read it! We have been in our new home for 7 months now and more has happened. I will send an update as soon as my first one is uploaded.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: