You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Something In The Graveyard

Real Ghost Stories

Something In The Graveyard

 

My husband told me this story not too long after we were married. He knows that I'm interested in strange events/occurrences that don't have an obvious explanation. I've experienced several interesting and unexplainable things throughout my life and I like to hear of other's stories.

Just to give a little background on us, I will say that we are both over forty years old, past the age of being tricked or fooled by people who like to tell stories and pull pranks. He is retired from a government job and I work as a medical transcriptionist. Basically, we both have a "good head on our shoulders" as the saying goes.

Anyway, he told me of an odd and scary thing that happened to him and two of his friends when he was around 17 years old. It was probably around the month of November, 1976. He doesn't remember the exact date, but he does know it was deer hunting season. He and two of his friends, Jerry and Brian had gone to Jerry's dad's camp to spend the night. They planned to go deer hunting the next morning. (They were all around 17 years old at the time.)

They got to the camp, which was located in southwest Louisiana, around 6 or 6:30 pm. The camp was just a one room shack with one door, nothing fancy. The area was known as Old River, he doesn't remember for sure, but he thinks it was called that because that's the name of the river that runs nearby. He says that they weren't drinking alcohol or anything like that, they had been sitting around and talking, just killing time basically. They planned to go to bed early so they could get up early and go hunting.

Around 9:00 o'clock that night, they were still awake and they decided that they'd do a little 'headlight' hunting, or spotlighting as it's called around here. They got their guns, my husband had a 30-30, Brian had a 308 and Jerry had a.45 pistol. Their 'lights' were headlamps that fit around their heads and were attached to 6 volt batteries. They don't put off a very bright light but are generally bright enough for hunting because animals eyes reflect so brightly when the light is shined directly at them.

After they had been walking for about 30-45 minutes they came to an old track that they could tell had once been a road. They walked down it for just a short way and they came to a clearing in the trees. They had found an old graveyard.

My husband says that it wasn't really very big, the best he can remember is that it had probably around 100 or 150 tombstones in it. At the far side of the graveyard, about 50 yards or so away, there was a tall monument, about 7 or 8 feet tall, that looked sort of like a man-shaped statue. Being teenagers and bored, (my husband's words) his friend, Jerry told Brian, "I bet you can't shoot that statue over there."

Brian lifted his gun, aimed and fired. Nothing happened. Then Jerry told my husband to try. My husband, (whose name is Peter) didn't want to shoot any statues in a cemetery, but he aimed high and fired anyway. Still nothing happened. So Jerry aimed his. 45 at the statue and shot at it.

Peter says that immediately they heard an unearthly scream that echoed through the trees. Needless to say, they were terrified. Peter looked at Jerry and saw that he had fainted. He and Brian grabbed him by the arms and carried/dragged him back to the camp as fast as they could get there. When they got there, they practically threw Jerry onto one of the cots, then closed and locked the door. They were still very afraid and were talking among themselves about what had happened. One of them noticed that Jerry was still gripping his pistol and they literally had to pry his fingers away from it. They stayed awake the rest of the night with their guns close by, afraid to sleep.

The next morning when the sun was up and it was bright daylight, (around 9am), Peter and Jerry unloaded their dirt bikes from their trucks. Brian rode with Jerry and they headed back to the cemetery. They were feeling braver in the daytime of course and wanted to see for themselves what had happened there the night before.

My husband says that when they got to the graveyard, there was NO statue and no tombstone over 2 or 3 feet tall. It totally freaked him out. He turned his bike around and headed back to the camp, loaded it on his truck and left. He said he never went back and he never will. It still gives him chills to talk about it.

Both of us wonder what the tall statue thing was. It freaked all of them out. He doesn't know if his friends ever went back, he's lost contact with them over the years and they never talked about it afterwards. Probably because, being teen boys, they tried to be 'macho' about it and didn't want to admit how scared they really were.

Could the 'statue' have been something like a guardian spirit maybe?

Whatever it was, if it was warning anyone away, it worked that night!

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Wondering1

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wondering1, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Wondering1 (4 stories) (29 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-10-12)
Thank you everyone for your comments! Sorry that I've been so long in replying... My laptop was on the blink. 😢
My husband says that Jerry didn't remember anything after the scream, although when he came to, he was still freaked out. (of course)
I read everyone's comments to my husband. He said to tell you guys that it was the scariest experience of his life and he hopes never to repeat anything like it again! As far as returning to the site, he says he's not sure if he could find it again... Even if he wanted to!
Thanks again to everyone for your kind comments on my writing!
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-04)
Maybe...that statue wasn't a statue but a person they accidentally shot. I doubt it but you never know.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-04)
That was really creepy. I probably would have wet my pants while running like crazy. Like one of the posters mentioned, was there a reason or an explanation given for Peter's friend passing out.

Sometimes, I guess people have to learn to respect other people and property (even if it's not of this world), the hard way.

Like other another poster suggested, if you ever have the change, to go back and investigate.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-04)
Hi wondering1, that was really a scary experience of your husband with his friends. But I wonder why that idea occurred to shoot at the statue that too in a cemetery. I feel that it might have been a guardian spirit that tried to ward off the naughty teenagers. Nice chilling story and a great narration. Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-10-03)
Great story! It was nice a scary. I would like to know more about where this place was.
GIRLIE ❤
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-10-02)
Holy crappitty crap crap! Now this does sound just like something we would have done as teens, yes, we were that stupid. I was reading through this and seeing it in my minds eye as the entire scene unfolded. Great narration by the way. I believe you captured just how it occurred. I am sitting here half freaked out and still laughing at the thought of how we would have reacted as well. Yes, run! That's all you need to know.
No lectures from me. No finger wagging at all. Thank you for sharing a small portion of your husbands reckless youth with us. It sure did bring back the old fright and flight memories from my own, and was definitely worth the read.

Jav 😁
PeachyPumpkins000 (16 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-01)
That is scary. What puzzles me is, why would anyone shoot at a statue in a graveyard!? However, I understand that they were just teens and they probably didn't really have any experiences with the paranormal and such. Or did they?

Can you give a better description of what the scream sounded like, from your husband of course. And can you find out what the statue looked like?

Thanks for sharing. (I would have fainted too!) 😊
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-01)
Wow! That sounded amazing! When Jerry came to, did the other friends ask him what happened before he passed out? Did he go into a dream state or was it something that he didn't remember?

From the rational side, the noise could have been emitted by some nightlife. There is an owl in Australia called the 'Murdering Owl', because when it screeches it gives off a bloodcurdling scream which many people who hear it swear it is the sound of a person being murdered. A friend of mine was walking down a track one night and heard one and he ran home as fast as he could after hearing it, but that is just one possibility worth exploring but that doesn't explain Jerry fainting.

From the paranormal, one idea might be that it is indeed a guardian spirit of the cemetery that wanted to warn the boys off and to show some respect. But that doesn't explain the monument seen during the night and not in the day. Unless the shooting had made the monument topple down, but if it was something heavy then it would take more than just a bullet to make it fall down, I get the sense that the cemetery was seen at a different period of time. Could it have been a time rift, perhaps? I have read loads of stories on here where people have walked into hotels that no longer exist, but they've been inside them, only to find that they no longer appear at a later point in time.
aoife (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-01)
WOW I would have loved to be there but then agin whould have nearly cried tell you husband I said hi and that he is realy brave
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-01)
I'm at a loss to even theorize about this one at the moment to be honest, although I will say when I saw the title "something in graveyard" I thought "well duh it's a graveyard of course there is something in there" 😆

This has been an interesting read, and it will certainly have me scratching my noodle for a while, thanks for the read!
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-01)
Hi Wondering1, that certainly is an eery tale!

My first thought, when reading was, how sure were the boys, that it was an actual statue? At 50 yards, with only 6 volt lights... Could they have been mistaken?
My second thought was, if it was an 'Elemental', or a guardian, would it have stuck around long enough for 3 shots to be fired at it?
This is truly perplexing, to me!

Thank you for a well written account, and thanks for sharing.
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-30)
Great story.

I'm not going to make a judgement on the fact Peter and his friends shot at what they thought a gravestone. As you mention, at the time they were teenagers and we've all got a part of our pasts when we acted out of character.

What happened that night must have been terrifying - no matter what gender those in question are.

It would be interesting to learn if the. 45 successfully knocked the block off this statue resulting in it scattering to the ground. From what you say though, it sounds like it could have been some spirit being.

Is there any way you both could go back and visit the said grave to see who it belongs to? (not sure how it could help, but it may).

I say this in the greatest of respect but, can you imagine if the spirit guarded his/her own grave that night and before they died was employed as a human statue? That would be freaky, but I always imagine the worse.

Thanks for sharing,

Lakota73 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: