You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: What Did I See?

Real Ghost Stories

What Did I See?

 

About 10 years ago when my daughter was around 16, she's my middle child, she has an older sister and younger brother, I saw something that I haven't been able to explain fully. The reason that I mention my daughter, her name is Brittany, is because I feel like I would never have seen this thing if not for her.

At the time that this incident happened, Brittany was in an all girl's Christian school in Mississippi. From where we lived at the time, in Louisiana, it was about a six hour drive. I tried to visit her as much as possible, and it was always a long drive there and back. We usually spent at least one night away from home.

Anyway, my husband and I had been to visit her on the weekend that I experienced this incident. We left the school late in the afternoon and drove until we were just a couple of hours from our house. I told my husband that I had to make a stop soon, so when we found a 24 hour truck stop a few miles later, he pulled in.

The truck stop was fully lighted and very bright. As I walked into the store, on my right was a "convenience store" set up and on my left was a small cafe-like set up, with signs for restrooms hanging over it. I headed to the left towards the ladies restroom.

The restroom was quite small, only three stalls on the right and a long mirror with three sinks on my left. I was the only one in there, all the doors on the stalls were open. I went into the middle stall.

When I came out of the stall, I went to the middle sink and began to wash my hands. While I was doing that, I looked up at the reflection of myself in the mirror and saw a woman walk into the bathroom.

I didn't think anything of it until I reached to get paper towels to dry my hands and realized that I hadn't heard a stall door close or any other sounds of someone being in the bathroom with me. I looked at the reflection of the stall doors in the mirror and they were all open! There wasn't anyone in the bathroom with me.

I didn't stop to think about it, I got out as fast as possible! My heart was beating very fast and I had goose bumps all over my arms.

I wish I could describe what the "woman" looked like, but I hadn't paid that much attention when she came in. All I can remember is that she seemed to have shortish hair and it was dark.

I'm not sure if I was just very tired from traveling or if I really saw a ghost. Considering other experiences that I've had, I tend to believe I saw something otherworldly.

What do you think?

Other hauntings by Wondering1

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wondering1, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

HassaniSabbah (1 stories) (17 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-21)
Its worth going back and asking the people you work their if they have noticed anything and know any history. Think back and try to remember what you felt around the time you saw this entity. Basically how you are feeling when a spirit is around you can determen if the spirit is bad or good well mostly. I have had a very similar expirience I would say its a ghost of somone who passed away on the grounds.
Siskakes (4 stories) (68 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-21)
Its those fleeting glimpses or moments that many of us miss or mistake for soemthing else in the loud and bright bustle of todays times.
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-20)
Argette's suggestion that there's a "sub-genre of restroom ghosts" is interesting. There have certainly been a number of similar stories posted here in the past.

Wondering, it sounds as though you're taking this in stride, though. Good! Don't blame you for getting out of that restroom a.s.a.p. I'd have done the same!
stormy8063 (2 stories) (3 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-20)
Woman came in and no sound or sign of her after that... Definitely something otherworldly... Sometimes we try to blame being tired or exhausted on things like these we can't explain because it makes more sense than believing that you really saw something supernatural. Wether we want to believe it or not ghosts really do exist on every continent in every culture no matter how much you try to rationalise the unexplained.
Argette (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-19)
My first thought was someone popped in and for some reason left again. But if as you say, the person walked behind you, that kind of rules out that explanation. Honestly, I think there is an entire sub-genre of restroom ghosts. About 15 years ago, I had to use a restroom at a very nice and somewhat legendary resort. It was at night, not too many people were around, and I was alone. I was not at ease for some reason, but I could not put my finger on it. Many years later, I began to hear stories about the resort and some were centered on this restroom. A photo I was shown suggests a previously unseen person was caught on camera peeking out of a stall door. So, in a restoom, anything might be possible.
Rev-Holmes (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-19)
it was a spook no doubt cause everything else has been ruled out. Spooks get reflected in mirrors and (camera) glass lenses easily.
That's why they turn up in pictures more often.
Peace l 😁
Wondering1 (4 stories) (29 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-18)
Thanks for everyone's comments. I have wondered if it was someone coming in to check their make-up or hair. However, since I was at the middle sink, surely I would have seen her on either my left or right? The reflection showed her passing behind me, so it seems to me that at the very least, she would have appeared on my right.
But I was very tired and so I can't be 100% sure.
I don't know anything about the property or the store. I've never been back since that one time. My daughter graduated a few months later and we've never had occasion to drive that way again.
I've just always thought that it was an interesting experience.
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-18)
obviously the woman just popped back out again as soon as she came in because she probably forgot something...
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-18)
Any findings on the land or what the property might have been previously? Perhaps this is residual and the entity was just going about her business and didn't even notice you.
emilymae16xx (3 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-18)
I have to disagree with the comment above me reagrding to the fact it could of been just a women going to check her makeup and leave, because surely she would of heard the restroom door shut again.
Imagination runs wild sometimes, especially when a person is tired. So yeah, it probably could have been to the fact that you were tired from travelling and imagined something that wasn't there.
However if it was from the otherworld, I wouldn't read much into it, don't try to communicate with it because that could be dangerous, it probably was just one of them things you see in public places, a lot of them have ghosts and people have viewing of spirits, believe me i've had many. My advice would just be not to read much into it, and carry on as normal
Hope this helps. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
11 years ago (2012-12-17)
Wondering1 - the only thing I can think is the woman popped in the restroom long enough to glance at her hair, makeup, etc in the mirror. Maybe she didn't need to use the restroom itself, just the mirror, and by the time you glanced back up, she was already back out the door 😕

I understand how these things can drive a person nuts 😆 Not being able to go back in time and relive that event, having to just guess at the possible scenarios is enough to drive a person crazy. Believe me 😆

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: