You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Encounters

Real Ghost Stories

The Encounters

 

One night, while out enjoying a few drinks with friends, we had stumbled upon the topic of paranormal encounters. While many of my colleagues had fascinating stories of sounds and shadows, only my dear friend Don and I had any really first-hand experience with what we consider another realm of existence. I will start with Don's story and then continue into my own.

Don's story: "10 years ago I lived in a small home with my new wife and young son. He was 3 at the time and we live what I considered a normal, happy life. The house was previously owned by an elderly woman who was barren widow. We bought the house from her bank because she had no next of kin to will it to.

One night, after our final box was unpacked, I decided to take my wife to a nice dinner. I dropped my son off at my mother's home and we went out. I remember locking all the doors as I always did and all the windows were shut in the house (it was early winter and very cold).

After the meal me and my wife had made our way home to relax and enjoy the evening. I unlocked the front door and heard the sound of water running and noticed the light was on upstairs. Perhaps I had left the sink on after shaving or the toilet was running.

As I started to walk up the stairs I noticed the light was on, which was odd because I remember shutting it off; my wife had reminded me to do so when she noticed me walking down the stairs. I walked up and the bathroom lights were both on. That is not what alarmed me, not as much as what I discovered next. All the towels from the closest were in the tub with water running. The tub was full by now with the drain closed.

I ran throughout the house checking every window, closet, bed, and room. All the windows were locked, all the doors were locked, and no one was in the house. If someone had made their way into my house they would had to have leap out a window and locked it from the inside within the first few minutes of my wife and I returning. The water would have been overflowing any earlier.

No one had a key to that house. We had 2 keys and me and my wife both had them that night. The windows only opened from the inside. I do not know what did this but I had the house blessed by a priest the next day."

My story: "I grew up in a home where a grizzly double murder/suicide happened decades earlier, that is how my father got the home so cheap. I have never heard a noise, never seen a thing, and most certainly never had nightmares in my home.

We added on to our home about 10 years ago so we have 2 basements. One has low ceilings and old walls, the other is modern and semi-finished with a movie projector and very nice furniture.

One night I had fallen asleep to a movie on the projector, as I often do. A few minutes after the movie run time, the projector will turn itself off to conserve energy.

I remember having a strange dream. My mother and I were walking throughout the house looking for a ghost with a flashlight. We went in every room and finally made our way down to the old basement to find nothing. She decided to then work our way into the new basement.

I remember walking down the stairs and seeing myself sleeping on the couch in my own dream. I instantly woke up. There was an eerie feeling in the pitch black room. I slowly stood up to walk upstairs and make my way to bed.

As I stood, I heard a wispy voice say my name. I have never ran so fast in my life. I sprinted to my room on the 3rd floor and locked my door. After calming myself down and debunking the sound as imagination I fell asleep.

I had, for the first time in my life, a terrifying nightmare. I was in an ill-light parking deck. I could see nothing but a single light hanging from the ceiling, a door, and 4 concrete walls blocking the space that were around 5 feet in height. There was nothing but blackness everywhere. I heard my mother's voice saying that someone had robbed grandma's grave.

I looked to the far wall and saw a black creature digging up next to a tombstone that was marked with my grandmother's name. It was clawing at the ground next to the uncared for crooked epitaph. When I saw it, it leap over onto me.

This is where my nightmare began to turn horrible. I awoke, but I was frozen. I could slightly see but I could not move. I tried to call out for help but could only get a muttered inaudible grown out. I kept telling myself to wake up but I couldn't, I was already awake.

I then saw this creature from my dream open the door and enter my room. My struggle became more powerful. I had to move, I had to fall back asleep or wake up. I groaned and tried to yell but nothing would happen. The creature jumped across the room and landed next to me. It started to move on top of me and with one final struggle, I was able to move and scream for help. The creature was gone when I awoke.

I am an RN now and I know that sleep paralysis had these symptoms with it. The inability to move, the nightmare, the terrifying creature attacking you, I understand that it is all caused by my mind. What really made me terrified was the fact that my locked door, which takes a key to open from the inside, was open. My key was still on the night stand where I left it when I locked the door.

In the 15 years I have lived in that home I have never once slept with an open door. The question becomes: what opened my door?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ssm21scott, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-05)
Two very interesting encounters, especially the first one. Coming home to find all the towels in the tub with the water on would freak me out thinking there was someone in the house. After they found no one and no sign of a break in, I think I would have called a priest too. LOL. Did your friend experience anything else in the house after that?

Your experience is pretty creepy, and I agree with the others who mentioned that construction on a home can stir up paranormal activity. 😊
blacksky (1 stories) (18 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-03)
Very interesting story. I think everyone missed the part that you were telling your friends story first then your own, so you will write in first person and are telling it as he told you.

What does it matter if you do sleep with door closed and locked that has nothing to do with what you experienced. A lot of people sleep with the door closed and everybody falls asleep inrooms that are open. Again so what?

Any time you have a house with a history and you move the walls or disturb the land your going to irritate what ever spirit that may have been lieing dormant. Either way the door was opened some how even if during this you walked in your sleep and opened it. Don't confuse it with night terrors they are very harsh as well.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-01)
As I'm sure it has already been mentioned, your friends account is just plain bizarre, without anymore details it is kind of hard to pinpoint it to being something paranormal in nature, but very strange, did anything else happen within the home?

Your account is quite creepy especially the way you described you waking up and going to bed, then hearing that whisper, remember that renovations within a home can distub and activate dormant spirits from time to time. You are right about the sleep paralysis so I won't touch on that. Can I ask did anything happen to your grandmothers grave at all? Creepy! Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Bluerose19 (3 stories) (164 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-01)
"I heard my mother's voice saying that someone had robbed grandma's grave.

I looked to the far wall and saw a black creature digging up next to a tombstone that was marked with my grandmother's name."

Well I just want to know that did you actually check your grandmother's grave after seeing the dream? I mean did anything really take place with the grave after that and no theft took place there in real?...Well I know my question is not into the subject as others are asking, but I just wanted to know whether there could have been any correlation between your dream and reality in connection with your grandmother's grave. Take care!
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-31)
Not that it's any answer to the question, but I also sleep with my bedroom door closed and locked. I have no idea what started the issue, but I have done so since my late teens early 20's. Is it possible that whomever was murdered in your home, was opening the door as a means of escape? A way for them to get out in death, as they were not able to in life?
thesimoneau6 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-30)
I have heard of sleep paralysis before, in lots of other stories. It has never actually happened to me, but the whispering of my name. That is another story. I was in pretty much the same position, I woke up in the middle of the night picked up my head, and then it whispered my name into my ear and then I heard giggling in the corner of my room. Until this day I don't have a night where I sleep without both my ears covered by pillows or blankets... Good story, gave me chills down my spine
pandora0791 (2 stories) (38 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-29)
Why do you lock your door? You make a point to tell us you lock your door ALWAYS and then you say you never once slept with an open door? But then you state you fell asleep, while watching your movie, as you often did (in the basement)?

Just discrepancies that could be cleared up, that's all... Thanks for sharing.
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-26)
I would have to agree with Isandhu and to add on to what he stated on the second story, not that you are lying, there is a possibility if like Isandhu said you didn't properly lock the door that the door latch wasn't seated correctly and the door worked itself open from a breeze or just from not being properly leveled while you were asleep.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2012-10-25)
In the first story, which looks like it was written by the person who experienced it, he says "I unlocked the front door and heard the sound of water running and noticed the light was on upstairs." He then goes on to say "As I started to walk up the stairs I noticed the light was on". These types of discrepencies tend to indicate the encounter is made up, although perhaps he was just confused. He also says "If someone had made their way into my house they would had to have leap out a window and locked it from the inside within the first few minutes of my wife and I returning. The water would have been overflowing any earlier." I fail to see how this is the case. The water would have flowed and filled the tub at the same rate whether the person had remained there after they started the process or fled immediately. How small was this tub? Although the towels would displace some of the water, they would absorb a good deal and it would take some time to fill an average-sized bathtub to overflowing even if it were filled with towels.

On to the second story, which I agree is the more plausible, is there no chance that, in your fear and panic as you dashed to your room after having the first dream and hearing the whisper, you did not lock your door properly? That is the only thing I can come up with to explain the apparent objective evidence that there was more to your sleep paralysis than meets the eye. Your house's history is very disturbing, but it's odd you never had any experiences until this one. Let us know if anything else occurs and, if possible, please get clarification regarding the points I raised about your friend's story.
the_Cupcake_Kid (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-25)
woah, that's freaky. Know what i'll be telling my friend on Halloween night:3 😁
chelly (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-25)
This is scary... I would freak out if this ever happens to me. Well I had wierd dreams 2 times in my life... But I just tell myself its just dreams... Although my right mind tells me it is not.
Anyway...thanks for sharing
blue-flamed-phoenix (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-24)
I don't know abow the door thing, but I do know that once you are in sleep paralysis you aren't supose to panic, cause once you do fear kicks in and that is what you basically experienced. Your body goes through sleep paralysis every night while sleeping. There is one good thing that can come out of it if you have an open mind. Its called astral projection and sleep paralysis is one of the basis of achieving this. To learn more if you don't know about it just research it. I belong to a forum that's about it called astralvoid.com.
aQua05 (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-24)
You can have a lot of nightmares in one night. Not just only one or two. Advisable to pray before you sleep. That will help.
Argette (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-10-24)
The first story is just plain bizarre, and I'm not certain your friend wasn't pulling your leg.

Your story seems more credible, because I've had those types of dreams, too. I know you can have two nightmares in one night.

The door thing baffles me.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: