You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Don't Say I Told You So

Real Ghost Stories

Don't Say I Told You So

 

A few years ago, on our way into town we drove past a small, somewhat rundown white house. We'd driven this route a hundred times, passed this house a hundred times, but I had never noticed it before. But this day, it jumped out at me. And all I could think was "that is such an adorable little house! I hope someone buys it and renovates it!" I started ogling that house everytime we drove by. It just sort of spoke to me, with it's cute little porch and holly tree and Crepe Myrtle out front, pure country charm. I was irrevocably in love.

One day, we drove by. There were people working on it! I was so excited! This beautiful little house was getting the TLC it deserved. I happily told my husband that the house was being renovated. He was completely unaware of my infatuation, or of the house. He'd never even seen it. I pointed it out when we drove by again on the way home. He still missed it. He overlooked the beautiful little house completely until last year.

Our debts were paid. We had a little money saved up. We were house hunting. And just guess what house had a Realtor's sign out front.

My husband was of the opinion the house was haunted. According to him, I don't like anything that isn't haunted and he found my infatuation with the house a little odd, but he had fallen under the house's spell by then as well. We moved in last summer, and I've been forced to admit he was right about the house.

We share the house with two former residents, a man and a small dog. The man is the most noticeable, he interacts with us fairly regularly. He is tall, around 6'2" and wears dark pants and a long sleeved shirt. The first time I saw him he was walking through the hallway toward the kitchen. I assumed it was my hubby as the guy is about the same height and build as Brad, so I was a little confused when Brad walked into the living room a minute later with a t-shirt on. I asked him why he'd changed. He looked at me like I had grown another arm. I explained what I had seen and he mumbled something about me seeing stuff and walked off. Very sensitive.

The second time I saw the man Brad was at work. The man walked through the hallway again, and this time I followed him. Except I couldn't find him. I've seen him several times since, sometimes he just walks through a room, other times he's been looking at our things. One afternoon I spotted him in the bedroom staring at the bed. Maybe he was trying to figure out what kind of crazy person buys camouflage sheets.

Now the small dog, he rarely interacts. I was reading one day, wearing flip flops, and felt a light, tickly sensation moving across the top of my foot. It was a strangely familiar sensation, but I couldn't quite place it. A few days later one of my dogs laid down beside me and started running her nose up and down my arm sniffing me, then it hit me what I had felt on my foot - a dog sniffing. Why I couldn't place it when it was happening I don't know, maybe because it was just the feeling without the usual snuffling noises a dog makes, maybe because I'm used to much larger doggie noses. Or maybe because when I felt it my arachnophobia took over and all I could think was "Invisible spider! Help!"

Every so often I'll see a small shadow scamper through the room and one of my dogs or cats will stop what they're doing and watch the shadow. The most notable incident with the little dog happened one evening while I was cooking. Both our dogs were in the kitchen with me. My husband was in the computer room. Nobody in the living room. Suddenly this godawful loud yapping started up in the living room. Imagine a cheesed off Chihuahua on crack and you've got the sound. My dogs jumped up and ran into the living room growling and barking, me running right behind them wondering how the holy hell a dog got in the house. The three of us skidded into the living room, and found it deserted. Riley and Sassy paced around sniffing and growling, I stood there awkwardly clutching a spatula, wondering how the holy hell a dog got in and out of the house. At this point Brad comes in and says "I don't know what they're freaking out about. What happened?"

"You didn't hear it?" I ask him.

"Hear what?"

"The dog!" By now I'm waving my spatula around in the hope it could clarify things.

"Yeah I heard Riley and Sassy. What were they upset over?"

"The dog!" I replied, waving my spatula harder.

"What dog?"

"The little one! In here! It sounded like a Chihuahua!" By now I've realized my spatula will not be giving any answers.

Riley and Sassy had given up the sniffing but were still growling halfheartedly. I finally managed to explain that we had heard a third, small dog in the house and that was why our dogs were freaking out. Brad accepted this pretty calmly and went back to his game, muttering something along the way that sounded annoyingly like, "I told you the house was haunted."

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BadJuuJuu, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-24)
BJJ - lol I find that very endearing. Maybe they have a love-hate relationship by now.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-23)
Hi y'all and thanks! Things have been very quiet inside the house lately. The most recent event was two to three months ago, and it concerned the dog. I was in the living room with my two big beasties, and we heard a small dog's growl coming from the hallway. Riley and Sassy growled back but didn't bother to check it out. I had to check it just to be sure, you know? No dog in the house except our two. I guess the little one just wanted to remind us he's around.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-23)
andrewland got me curious so I popped in, very entertaining indeed! ๐Ÿ˜† very well written as I could picture the whole thing perfectly. Do you still hear or see them?
andrewland (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-23)
Enjoyed reading your story a lot. Had me cracking up repeatedly. You have a way with words.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-21)
Hi llyr! I gotta admit my hubby is pretty amazing lol. He's never once told me to get my head checked. We've experienced some pretty bizarre stuff together, and some pretty bizarre stuff separately lol.
Morning blacksky. Our housemates here really are sweeties. It's nice to not be afraid in my own home. ๐Ÿ˜
Dan! Yeah, it is funny how things work out. I was talking to my neighbor a few weeks ago (sweet guy) and he said he was glad me and Brad stayed, that several people moved into this house since the old owner passed but no one stuck around for long. Hm. Reminded me of a chat with one of the realtors we spoke with. I told him I thought it was odd such a nice house had been vacant for so long. He got a strange look on his face and said "it hasn't been vacant. People have moved in and out." Weird, eh?
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-20)
Hi BJJ, you were destined for this house my friend, funny how things work out isn't it!๐Ÿ˜ Had a little laugh at the old spatula waving that ought to do it. I'm sure you and Brad will get quite adjusted to the man and the little dog, I bet they appreciate your acknowledgement. Good to hear from you again.

Dan
blacksky (1 stories) (18 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-20)
Well told, I could see the magic trying to come through the spatula! That is great that you have such a sweet-room mates!
marvis (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-19)
loved reading your piece.
You write so well.
And your sense of humor...
Just fell in love!
llyr (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-19)
I really had to laugh at this one xD the way your husband accepts things is just awesome^^
Well I'm glad that you got peaceful spirits in that house. I'd love to read more of your interactions with them, keep us posted:D
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-18)
Callthewind, I know a little about the recent history of the house, enough to feel confident that everything here is peaceful. And thanks on behalf of the furries lol.
Creepy, I don't know what kind of dog, just that it's small lol. I wouldn't even try to guess at a breed. I think the man is an older gent.
Lakota, glad you enjoyed!
โค
LakotaWinyan (2 stories) (63 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-18)
BadJuJu,

I am in tears! Wow, how hilarious! I'm sorry, but you have me pml!

Honestly, I can tell you I know where you're coming from with the spatula! Husbands never seem to understand!

Thank you for sharing your experience! I am looking forward to reading more!

LW
creepydog (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-17)
I actually like that story. That house sounds adorable! What type of dog was it? Was the man young or old? Tell me more! โค
callthewind (17 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-17)
BadJuuJuu,

A happily told experience! Have you researched your house? It would be very interesting to hear the history.

*virtually petting ALL of your animal friends*
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-17)
Hi Gargoyle, thanks! And don't you just love big dogs? Don't know what I'd do without mine lol.
Kuhlmad, thank you! Weird as it is, I do enjoy when something I can't explain happens. It keeps me on my toes and reminds me that there is more to things than meets the eye.
Salmkha, if you succeed with getting a picture, please post it. It would be so interesting to see.
Joy, well, the TV did turn itself off the night before last. I don't have an explanation for why it happened so I said hello just to be polite. Coulda been just a weird thing, or it could have been a howdy. I would have felt bad to ignore it, just in case lol.
Minimom, not much you can do roflmao.
Mannerizms, yep still here. Plan to be for a good long time. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Morticia, omg, some days I feel a little cray cray when something happens Brad isn't aware of. But usually one of our animals is beside me and reacts to whatever I'm reacting to so I feel vindicated. Stuff happens with him that I don't notice, so that's even more vindication lol.
I know a couple folks have said they hope things settle down for us, but really, things are pretty settled. I have a couple more submissions in mind just to finish the catching up on the last year, so it's going to sound like an active place, but it's really pretty calm.
Thanks all.
โค
Morticia1 (6 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-17)
BJJ funny I remember reading this at the time you posted but never thought to comment until I remembered my Kip and his antics in the past 11 years! ๐Ÿ˜†

I can just see you waving that spatula about at Brad trying to explain to him and had to laugh!

AH youve got to love hearing/seeing something when no one else does don't you!
Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-16)
BadJuuJuu,

I loved this story! It sounds like something I would pull especially with the spatula! Do you guys still live in the house? Hopefully it has calmed down a bit for you guys!

Blessed Be โค
minimom (50 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-16)
Husband's, what can you do?

Love the story! Hope everything settles down for you.
JoyBells (3 stories) (60 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-16)
I really like this story, It's funny and interesting! I'd be curious to know if any other occurances have come up since you wrote this.
Has the old man made any further contact with you?
Thanks for sharing!
Salmkha55 (1 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2012-11-16)
Great story and I can understand how you might have felt that time because last night even I faced such a issue.
My cat snowy was sitting in bedroom and I was in my living room chatting with friends suddenly I heard some voices and I was able to hear 2 more voices of cat other than snowy. And I went to bedroom to take snowy I felt something ran towards kitchen quickly I ran to kitchen there was just a shadow that went in the floor.
I will not sleep whole night and check out this spirit I have already put cameras in my house...
Kuhlmad (3 stories) (57 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-15)
Great story, thanks for sharing! Sounds like you have things going on constantly. Never a dull moment! Sounds like you enjoy most of what goes on, the perfect home!

By the way, I understood exactly what you meant, that spatula works wonders!

Thanks for sharing! ๐Ÿ˜
Gargoyle (51 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-15)
Ha-Ha! That was brilliant!
You've just made my day. Great story and very funny.
I have had largish dogs for a long time and they would have reacted like that too and you managed to describe my neighbour's wee dog perfectly!
Sounds like a lovely house and with friendly entities. What more could you ask for?

๐Ÿ˜†

Gargoyle
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+3
11 years ago (2012-11-15)
Morning Crystal. I can't say I feel unsettled at all here, it's very peaceful. My beasties have always been great about letting me know if something just aint right. None of the fuzzies have given any of their warning signals here, everyone just seems content.
Sorry your shovel betrayed your trust. ๐Ÿ˜ญ
Maybe it was conspiring with that lying spatula ๐Ÿ˜
crystal1981 (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-15)
haha a true story teller with heart... My husband now just says the same thing... Oh really again... And I told you so... And unfortunatley shovels have the same effect as a spatula. I hope your not too unsettled it doesn't sound like you are and have just accepted a co existance with your house guest... Or other way around you being the house guest. If it was bad I really think your dogs would have taken off and refused to be there so good luck:)
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-15)
Morning all. ๐Ÿ˜
You know, Miracles, for the longest I thought it was just us in the house. A few odd little things happened, but you have a cat, you know the weird stuff cats do, and for months nothing happened that I couldn't write of as my cats being goofballs. It took me actually being in a catless room, and the water faucet turning itself on with me there, to say "yeah ok Brad was right all along." And yeah, I'll be writing up that incident sometime soon lol. I have to agree that everything worked out just right, living here just seems meant to be. It's home, and I love it.
Argette, thanks! ๐Ÿ˜Š
Granny, yes he has interacted. He turns on faucets to say hello, he hides my stuff if he feels I'm ignoring him. Considering that one of our cats turns on faucets to amuse herself, I'm afraid I ignored this poor man far too many times. And paid the price. With the remote control, my keys, the dogs' leashes... But he gave the leashes back pretty quickly after I apologized for ignoring him and explained that Riley really needed to go out. Bam. There were the leashes, in plain sight. I've started saying "hi" to every faucet I find on lol. And you're right, no dog was ever in any danger from my spatula, traitorous implement... It said it had my back... Was going to tell Brad everything...grumbles
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2012-11-15)
BJJ: I agree with Brad, there was something that attracted you to your new home...I'm wondering if your gentleman has had any interaction with you or Brad, or has he acknowledged that he knows you're there in any way?...And do you think the little dog was his?...

Speaking of little dogs, I can totally relate to the sensation of a tiny nose on your foot ๐Ÿ˜†...My Chihuahua does the same thing and it's irritating, to say the least!...I had an experience a while back where my ghostie touched my hand a few times...Well, thinking it was just because my hands are messed up I asked them to touch me some where else, so I'd know it was them... My Mini Dauchsund climbed onto my lap for a few minutes after hearing me talk... When he got bored and moved, I felt a tickle on the back of my arm, from my elbow to my armpit LOL

I had to laugh at the spatula, but knowing you, I just can't see you beating a poor little Chihuahua with it ๐Ÿ˜†...

Thank you for posting, and I'm looking forward to more โค

P.S. If your ghostie Chihuahua is anything like mine, I'm afraid the spatula would have met with an untimely demise LMAO
Argette (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-14)
Charming story! You have a knack for setting a scene: I can sooo imagine your interest in the house.

Doesn't sound like the man and the dog (love that!) are too bothersome. I hope that continues.

Thanks so much for this story, BadJuuJuu. It's going into my faves!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2012-11-14)
BJJ - okay, so I have to admit...I've been wondering for over a year now and I can smile cause BJJ without a ghost? Nah... ๐Ÿ˜† Brad's right LOL

Mmmm...seems like your home was just waiting for you. The timing all had to be right for things to work out, and they did. Personally, I'm glad there was someone (two ๐Ÿ˜‰) there to welcome you, Brad and your furries to your home.

Yep, very funny about the spatula๐Ÿ˜† Can't believe Brad didn't understand LOL

Glad to see a new story from you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: