You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Odd Noises In Our New Home

Real Ghost Stories

Odd Noises In Our New Home

 

The ecstatic feeling I had when we first purchased our house is now more of a faint dream than a memory. We bought the three bedroom home on March 1st, 2012. Our old house was rotting away due to all of the mould that the land owner refused to take care of. After eight years of my family living in that poisonous house, my mother and I finally managed to talk enough sense into my grandfather to move.

I was thirteen when my grandparents, aunt, mother, and four pets moved into our new home. Because everyone else had claimed the upstairs rooms, I took the basement without complaint. I had packed up two months before anyone had even started, so I was allowed to move in to the house on my own for the time being. My mother felt it was safe enough for me considering it was only a mile and a half away from our old house.

I slept on the living room floor the first week of living there due to having no bed. I would constantly hear what sounded like someone walking around in heavy boots in the master bedroom and the occasional cough. The coughing sounded like the cough you would get from smoking for years. (There are cigarette burns on the carpet in that bedroom, but we are not too sure about the history of the house.) I quickly wrote it off as my imagination and put the noises out of my mind. I decided to shut all the doors in the house until my family moved in, hoping to make the noise better. It seemed to block out the coughing sounds, but the footsteps could still be heard.

When my new bed arrived and my grandfather put it together, I started sleeping in my room in the basement. After hearing noises on the stairs leading down to my room several nights in a row, I took to closing the door that separated my small bedroom and the rest of the basement.

About two weeks after I had moved in, my mother allowed my boyfriend and his sister, who was a close friend, to stay two nights in a row with me. When they arrived we decided to play hide and seek. His sister and I hid in the closet under my stairs while he searched for us. He eventually gave up and told us that he had heard tapping in the hallway upstairs. I had not told them about the strange noises in the house, trying to see if they heard the same things I did. I decided not to tell them until the next day to see what would happen. My boyfriend slept in my bed (nothing inappropriate, we never even kissed the whole six months we dated) and his sister slept in one of the bedrooms on the top floor.

Around one in the morning my boyfriend shook me awake to tell me that he had heard steps on the stairs, but when he had gone up to look there had been nobody there. I played it off as nothing and we went back to sleep. We were both woken up at about five in the morning by his sister, saying she could hear coughing from the bedroom across the hall from her. We decided just to stay awake and find something to entertain us.

We spent the whole day out of the house and came back at seven for dinner. My boyfriend made us all some grilled cheese sandwiches, and we ate while we watched the television. I went to bed at twelve while they stayed awake to watch one more show. When my boyfriend climbed in to bed with me, he told me that they had heard a door slam from upstairs. Finally, I decided to tell him that I had been hearing noises too. After we talked for an hour or so, we both went to sleep.

Almost a month and a half after I had moved in, my mother and aunt were packed up and started living in the house too. My aunt complained, as she still does often, about hearing bangs in her room. When we first bought the house we had to fill punch holes in the wall and replace the door because there was a huge hole in it, as if somebody had kicked it in. My grandparents moved in two months after they did, but being unobservant and highly sceptical, they deny ever noticing anything weird in the house.

Sometimes I'll hear my mother call me from upstairs, and even though I know she isn't home, I'll investigate and find nobody. My mother and aunt have also noticed this, and my grandmother admits to actually hearing my aunt once when there was nobody home. Both my mother and I heard typing from the office once, both assuming it was the other. When we figured out that it was neither of us, needless to say we were a bit paranoid.

The lights will occasionally flicker at night, as will the television. Sometimes when I am in the shower, I will hear nails running across the door, as does my mother. When the light is on in the hallway and my mother has her door cracked, she will see shadows dart across. I leave the light in the stairway on at night because I need to see to go to the bathroom, and I'll see shadows under the crack of my door. I have woken up several times to find my posters have seemingly fallen off the wall, even after they have been nailed down.

Just a few nights ago both my aunt and mother heard voices clear as day coming from the living room in the early morning hours, none of which they recognized. We have heard strange music a couple of times.

I constantly feel as if I'm being watched, especially at night. I have a newly acquired fear of the dark, which I have never had before. I now sleep with a ring of pillows on the edge of my bed. My cousin, who is only four, has said on several occasions that he has seen a "dark person" or a shadow, and that it talks to him, although he does not understand.

I have tried using sage and Wiccan prayers a few times, but it doesn't seem to work. My mother, who is a devout Christian, has hung crosses on most of the bedroom doors in the house. It has gotten to the point where I'm afraid to be alone in my own home, and to me that is unacceptable. I'd greatly appreciate any advice or ideas of what's going on that you might have.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from West Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kaitlynkalopsia, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

steveJ (2 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-15)
haunting phenomena have frequently been found to be associated with high fluctuations in electromagnetic fields. These fluctuations can be caused by various factors including underground rivers, living near an electrical power station, living near a continental rift, etc. You could contact someone that can detect and remedy these fluctuations (by elecrically shielding areas of your house). You could contact the Psychical Research Foundation to see if they would be interested in investigating (http://www.psychicalresearchfoundation.com/)
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-22)
Kaitlyn,

I hope you take me wrong. I wouldn't judge a person without meeting them. With that said, my previous comment came out because all I was also mature at that age, growing up my mom was that extra protective because we came to Canada from another country. It was what I felt personally. My mom is still protective of my siblings and me but we have somewhat broken free of that protectiveness. I hope you understand.

As for the blessing, I understand where you are coming from when someone says that they believe in a faith but won't have an elder (for a lack of a better word) of the religion to come in to do any blessings. But then again, there are some people who say that they can do the blessings and cleansing that nothing will ever come to you or the house again but in reality, they are frauds; got to be careful of those types.

If your grandfather doesn't like having a priest or someone else coming into to the blessing or cleansing, why don't you and your mother do it? The cleansing I posted by Rook could be adapted to what you believe in and it's pretty easy to do. You can do it while your grandfather is out of the house. This way you get the house blessed and also have your grandfather happy by not having someone from an organized religion come in.

Ultimately, it would have to up to you on weather you want to do the cleansing or not but personally, I think it would be good to do it so that you have a sense of mind.
KaitlynKalopsia (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-22)
Miracles - yes, I moved in by myself for a short amount of time because I have severe asthma and the mold in my old home had always caused me to be sick. My mother felt it was safe as it is a short distance from the old house and in a very safe neighborhood. My mother also spent all day in the house with me so that I was not always alone.

Shlain - it's not as threatening as it is uncomfortable. I've not been touched or any other physical contact, it more of the thought of something being outside the door when I shower or something watching me sleep.

Geetha - not so sound vain, but I have always been quite mature for my age and am very self sufficient. My mother was there during the day to cook and help me clean the house. My mother is a Christian. My aunt and grandparents say they are Christians but only go to church on Easter and never practice the religion. I was raised to be a Christian and have been baptized a few times but I became a Wiccan about a year ago. I do still pray and worship God though.
My grandfather is a very stubborn man, and would probably never have a priest come in to our home as he sees no reason to have our house blessed, considering he does not even believe there is something strange happening.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to offer your advice and comment.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2012-11-22)
Miracles,
That's right, the original poster said that she moved in by herself for a little awhile before the rest of the family. That really got me off guard. I, personally, would not stay in a house alone (especially, after hearing noises) but my parents wouldn't have allowed me to stay there by myself at a such young age for a long periods of time. With that being said, I guess every parent is different and you must be mature enough to stay alone.

Kaitlyn,

As for your problem, many of the noises can be put off as a residual haunting. Some of the other noises, not as much. Like Isandhu mentioned, tell it firmly but with respect, to leave you and your family alone. If it's a benevolent spirit (s), then they will listen. Many times, these kinds of spirits just want attention. If trying that doesn't help, then I suggest getting your house blessed / cleansed. You mentioned the Christianity is practiced at home, so I'm not 100% on what your practices are but as a Hindu, my family and most families from my background have a practice of having the house blessed with a local priest before we move in. You can talk to your family about having someone from your church do a blessing / cleansing of the house.

If you don't want someone from outside doing that, you can do the cleansing method created by an experienced poster named Rookdylin. I don't think Rook would mind if I provided you with the method (sorry, Rook if you mind). The thing about Rook's method is that it can be adapted according to your religious faith.

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

You can do this yourself but it would be great if your whole family does it together because you get more strength in numbers. Again, that is my personal opinion and it's up to you. Wishing you luck, keeping you in our prayers, and also keep us up dated.

I might have missed something and hopefully our experienced posters will be by to make comments.
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-22)
It sounds residual. Especially the coughing in the room upstairs. Spirits do not have to die in a place for that place to be haunted. Their spirits could return to the place where they felt more comfortable in a certain period of their life.

As for the experiences; I know how you feel. I've experienced the exact same things as you. Every single one of them.

Do you feel threatened by these entities?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
11 years ago (2012-11-21)
KaitlynKalopsia - okay, just to make sure I'm not misunderstanding, because I have a migraine and I probably should have waited to read your story so I apologize, but did you say you were 13 and you moved into your home by yourself? And you lived there for about 6 weeks without any adults?
KaitlynKalopsia (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-21)
Thank you so much! You are correct, I just turned fourteen a couple of months ago. I have also assumed that the noises were residual, but the shadows seemed unlike what I've read about those hauntings.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-21)
Please disregard my question. Having read your post again carefully, I see you can't be more than 14.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2012-11-21)
"being unobservant and highly sceptical, they deny ever noticing anything weird in the house"

Love it! I enjoyed your post and I like the way you write. Great style and voice. Much of what you describe could be residual energy, although the voices and shadows would suggest an actual spirit presence. I can only assume it's a former occupant who has "passed on" but failed actually to pass on to wherever it is we're supposed to go. I don't think there's anything to be afraid of. Many of the regular posters have cleansing techniques they will probably suggest. I've never had the need to try one myself, but others have had success with them. Alternatively, the next time something happens, you could try telling this spirit firmly but gently that you would prefer not to be disturbed or frightened in your own home, especially when you are in bed or in the shower. It may be you are willing to share the house as long as your boundaries are respected. I'm curious as to your current age. It's so relieving to see such good punctuation, grammar and spelling in a young person these days.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: