You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Spirit Welcome

Real Ghost Stories

Spirit Welcome

 

Back when I was in High School in Sydney in about 1977, my parents were house hunting (again) & Mum & I were checking out a house in Killara they were interested in. We were both impressed by the welcoming atmosphere in the house as soon as we stepped through the front door into the wide, sunlit hall. There were one or two pieces of furniture in the hallway including an antique tray table which had really old castor wheels on it - the type that don't roll very easily even on smooth floors like that hall. The rectangular table was standing slightly at an angle to the wall, the front edge was about 2 inches further out from the wall than the rear edge.

I noticed all this because we had been standing in the hall chatting to the house owner (Mrs C) for a while when a man came to the front door. Mum & I were facing away from the door & towards the table, Mrs C at the door had her back turned but her visitor at the front door had a clear view of it. No-one was standing within 5 feet of the table & no-one was moving around to cause the floor to move but that table very smoothly & deliberately moved in towards the wall to sit neatly parallel to it.

The silence was deafening! The man at the door stopped speaking for several seconds then pointed at the table & in a very shaky voice said "That table just moved!". Mrs C just sort of said "hmmm" & concluded the conversation. He left, she turned back to us & continued our chat as though nothing had happened. She may have been worried that Mum would have been put off buying the house but frankly, we saw it more as a greeting than a threat. Suffice to say that was only the first encounter of several I had in that house.

Other hauntings by catweazle

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, catweazle, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-04)
To actually see it move is quite out there, are you sure there wasn't an explanation for this at all? I mean, wind or a faulty function on the wheels? Either way I look forward to hearing more from you. Thanks.

Dan
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-01)
catweazle
You must have your mother create an account to tell her own experiences. The table moving was great. Ithink that it did that not only to welcome you but to scare off the other potential buyer. The fact that it didn't bother the woman selling the house tells me she knew about the spirit (s). You should have asked her about it to see what
Her experiences were. I hope all of your experiences were good. 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-30)
catweazle - loved your story 😊 Okay, I have to know... Obviously your mom must have her own stories 'cause most people I know, my own mom included 😉, would not have moved into a house that had a table move on its own. Granted, my mom would have denied seeing it 😆

Thank you for sharing this with us. I really did enjoy it.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-30)
Oh you have to tell us what else happened there! It sounds like an awesome house, and I love that your family didn't run for the hills lol.
Argette (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-29)
You actually saw it move - that seems to be rare. The moving furniture phenomenon is one I have experienced a time or two, but I've never actually seen it.

Sounds like you have some great stories to tell about this place! Looking forward to them.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: