You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Monk In The Old Abby

Real Ghost Stories

The Monk In The Old Abby

 

I'm the new heritage worker in a town called Finglas, Northside of Dublin. I'm training to be the local tour guide there. As I had been researching a lot, I took a day where I took my family to the historical spots in Finglas.

There in the heart of the village is an old Abby called St Canice's Abby. It dates back to the 10th century. We were going around the graveyard that surrounds in and then entered the ruin of the Abby. The minute I got in, the hair at the back of my neck stood up. I felt that we were being watched. We took our photos and left.

Later that day I was going through the pictures when I noticed another person in the corner of the Abby. I zoomed in with my son watching beside me. There coming out of the wall was a monk, just standing looking at us.

At the wall there was a nun and a man kneeling down at what use to be the altar. I knew we had been watched and even though I didn't see him I had felt his presence.

Sometime later I showed this photo to the caretakers of the Abby and graveyard for generations and they casually said, "Oh, I see you met Christy the Monk."

I have to say I was very flattered that he came out on my picture. Maybe he knew what my job is, trying to bring the past back to life. I'm sure there are a lot more spirits there as you can feel it on entering the graveyard.

The locals have all seen this Monk, seems to walk through the walls of the Abby, although I have discovered that the walls he walks trough use to be doorways at one time. This story is part of my tour now.

Other hauntings by spiritwolfdancer

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, spiritwolfdancer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-21)
You mentioned seeing a nun as well--was the original abbey a combined house for both monks and nuns? I believe that such things were fairly common in Ireland in the time you mention; it would have been sometime in the 900's.

All because there is no year "0," we're a little bit "off"--so the 900's were actually the tenth century--it's so confusing at times...
spiritwolfdancer (6 stories) (18 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-16)
To Ger44, I grew up not far from the abby and spent most of my time with kids from the village and they always spoke of the monk in the graveyard. I did not know anything about its history until I started a job some years back and interviewed and researched the history of the abby. I am trying to find a way of uploading the photo, as I am not great at the computers. You should come along to one of the tours, you would be more than welcome.
Ger445 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-21)
Yeah I live less then 10 minutes away from the Abbey and never heard of this ghost!
koalagirl (3 stories) (111 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-15)
Hi spiritwolfdancer, I found your story very interested, I really enjoy ghost story, specially when the place dates back to the 10 th century, good luck with the job. Looking forward to a photo. Thanks for sharing. Di.
vidya_amani (2 stories) (78 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-12)
After commenting on your other story about your mother, it made me realize that sometimes we have to doubt things looking like the light, and sometimes we have to fear the darkness for our own good.

I have been much welcoming of all things lately, trying to see the good in all things... But it can get you in sticky situations.

Sounds like a monk preaching... Sorry! Ha ha ha

Maybe some things are just what they are and you cannot change it... I am pondering why something can be inherently bad and no good, and just made to be left dangerous.

They always say if you see things on the other side your weapon and tool is unconditional love, kill them with love, love and welcome all... I am beginning to wonder if that is a false teaching to welcome all sorts of darkness.

Talking about churches now...

Maybe there are some things and people who just have lost utter faith in themselves and do not want to see any good in themselves to make a turn for the better at all... They like being a certain way, or they just don't know any other way.
girlie (15 stories) (426 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-12-11)
That is really cool. I've heard of things like that before. I don't remember where it was, but people would see nuns and other ghost walking around, but they would have no feet, it would just dissapere into the floor. But then it turned out that the orginal floor of the place, was actually lower the it is today. So that's why no one could see the ghost's feet. Lol I thought it was pretty cool. Loved your story and hope to hear more from you.
GIRLIE ❤
Worried_Brit_Chick (6 stories) (108 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-11)
Thanks for sharing, what a nice story 😊 Sounds like the monk is a sort of mascot for the Abby. I'd love to see the picture if you could get a link up?
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
Hello, dude - upload that photo ASAP. It sounds interesting.
spiritwolfdancer (6 stories) (18 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
Thank you all for your comments and I will try upload the photo as soon as possible. 😊
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
Hi spiritwolfdancer, good luck with your new job. You obviously are not scared of spirits. If word gets around, and you can show tourists that photo (better print a few), you will be highly in demand. 😁

Thank you for an interesting account.
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
Sounds so very interesting... Would love to see the pictures too. Please could you post them of provide a link so we all can have a look at it as well. Thanks for sharing...

Regards,
Logan
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
Hello spiritwolfdancer, that was a nice experience. Thanks for sharing. Well, like michellerose said, I also would like to see the photo and if possible, please upload it. Share any further experiences.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
michellerose1 (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-07)
Would love to see the photo... If possible. Sounds interesting!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: