You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Monks Walking Up The Stairs

Real Ghost Stories

Monks Walking Up The Stairs

 

I cannot remember the exact age when this happened but it happened at the house I had lived in since I was born.

When I was a child me and my sister shared a bed at home, even though I had my own little room, my sister who is three years older than me would always pick me up out of my bed asleep and put me in hers.

One night after she had got me and put me in her bed I woke up and got out of bed in a daze and walked to the end of the hall and down to the bottom of stairs. My sister still being awake asked me where I was going and got a bit worried when I didn't answer and followed me to the bottom of the stairs where I stood looking at the top of them. She was asking what I was doing as it was the middle of the night and everyone was asleep but I felt unable to speak and answer her.

My sister shook me and I told her I had seen four monks in hooded robes walking up the stairs with black lit candles going into my little bedroom! Again I wasn't un-nerved by this experience, it just puzzled me as to why I had seen them and why they were going into my bedroom holding lit candles! My sister and I tiptoed into the bedroom but no one was there.

We just put it down to me sleepwalking but I wasn't so sure. I had definitely seen them-they were definitely there.

Not so soon after this happened, my sister told me she had an experience in her bedroom. She was sitting on her bed doing up her shoe laces with her bedroom door behind her open and the mirror on the dresser was in front of her when suddenly she had this overwhelming fear, she couldn't move. All she knew is she couldn't look in the mirror or the doorway. After a few moments, the feeling had gone. I will always remember the first time she told me that because of what I experienced that night I saw the monks. She still swears by it today!

My family had lived in the house for over 30 years and lived there until I was 17. I don't know if my parents had any experiences as they are rather sceptical to say the least. But my sister and I definitely did!

Other hauntings by misfitsdoll

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, misfitsdoll, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bb (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-07)
I live in tividale also and fascinated by history of Dudley Castle.
There is a black robed monk seen at the castle who may be linked to the nearby Dudley Priory ruins due to stones being taken from there to rebuild parts of the castle. How close would you be to any religious buildings or grounds? Maybe your house had rubble from a religious building also?
Toshiro (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-13)
Well, what I would say this means is that these monks didn't make it to heaven. They weren't saying anything you can remember?

Black candles aren't used in Catholic ceremonies because it represents evil. Well maybe these monks went to hell and you might need an exorcism around the place.
misfitsdoll (6 stories) (18 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-14)
Hey Guys,

Iv done some research into the grounds of my old house but can't find anything that would explain why I saw the monks. 😕 The house was built in the 50's BUT the whole of my town is known as the Black Country (reason why its called that is because it was a coal mining town, so all the coal miners where black after work so they called the town the black country)

But I will keep digging for more info, If anybody would like to help me on this id really appreciate it:) My old house was in a village called Tividale on the outskirts of Dudley in the black country, West Midlands UK. Any help withthis I would really appreciate, mucho love misfitsdoll ❤
libertybelle (14 stories) (207 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
Very interesting indeed--especially the black candles.

The color black, as far as canonical colors go, is used for funerals and as a sign of mourning (just as it often is used in the secular world), but I don't recall ever seeing black candles used in a church.

Traditionally, the candles used in Roman Catholic churches are made of beeswax, and appear to be either white or a very pale yellow, and I'm not sure how one could color them black (easily enough done today, with paraffin wax and either black crayons or dyes made specifically for the purpose of coloring candles).

Anyway, are there any traditions of a monastery near where you lived?

I also wouldn't dismiss the possibility of a link with one of the so-called Hell-Fire Clubs popular in the eighteenth century, either.

Whether real monks or spurious ones, I don't think it's out of the realm of likelihood that they imprinted their feelings on the atmosphere of your home.
Sarah (1 stories) (53 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
Hi Misfitsdoll,

Monks can indeed wear various different coloured robes. This is common place and can depend on what order they belong to and what part of the world they are located in. Therefore, their dress would not cause alarm to me. What I would deem unnerving though is that you say they carried lit black candles. Black candles are very representative of the darker side. Colours within the realms of religion are very important. Different Candle colours help to reflect important events within the churches calendar, for example, the colour purple has strong links to the Advent wreath of Christmas and the colour white reflects the inner purity of baptism in the paschal candle.

Sarah.
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-31)
Wow thatis a very creepy story. I hav heard of many different spiits but I'm usually scared of monks!Why?I have no idea. I guess its there robes 😆.I hope to hear from you soon and take care
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-30)
I have read this story several tmes and misfitsdoll does not seem to identify the color of the robes worn by the monks, but reports that the lit candles were black. For the record, several different orders wore black robes. The most famous are the Benedictines (who were also known as the "Black Monks") and the Jesuits whose missionary efforts in New France were popularized in the movie, Black Robe. Misfitsdoll, since it is a detail of interest, can you recall the color of the robes? Thanks.
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-30)
Hi Misfitdoll thank you for the story. I'm not 100% sure but I think the Jesuits (not sure of the spelling either 😕) wore black robes. Did you ever do any research on the property? When/if you get the chance to I would like to hear what you found 😊. God bless.
mlc13 (7 stories) (33 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-30)
Maybe they weren't monks. I have read that there was this satanic order in the 1700's that wore black robes and they had a procession that involved candles. But I could be wrong.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-30)
I was not aware that monks wore black robes. Are you aware of any history on your home?

God Bless!
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-30)
Wow that is very spooky. If would have saw the monks, I would have been terrified. Do you anything about the history of your home? ❤ Jasmin

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: