You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Halloween At The Cemetary

Real Ghost Stories

Halloween At The Cemetary

 

This happened on the Halloween night of 2008 and is not my own experience but that of my Brother, Sister and close friends. It is long so bear with me.

I lived in Canberra during my childhood and Canberra is known to be the most haunted location in Australia given its history. Growing up I never took the paranormal seriously however my sister and her 3 friends did; in fact they are all Wiccans. On occasion they would try and contact spirits in the closest cemetery at daytime but would only experience slight things like really cold air or hearing footsteps.

On Halloween 2008 they decided to go down to the cemetery at midnight and my brother and his friend also went along (they were all around the age of 13 - 19 I was 14), for some stubborn and stupid reason I decided to stay home, I now know that I will regret that decision for the rest of my life. This was definitely a very haunted place and it is also worth mentioning that it is one of the oldest Churches in Australia being built in 1840 it is called ST Johns the Baptist church.

Excitedly they walked down but not really expecting to see anything amazing. When they reached the cemetery it was all serious business, they sat down in a circle and held hands with a candle in the center then my sister read something out loud from a book. When it ended everybody went silent for a few minutes then slowly started to stand up they were all looking around for about 10 minutes, one of my sisters friends was the first to see something. This thing was glowing a grey colour and it seemed to be fading in and out of focus, it was 20 meters away at the side of the churchyard. They were just watching it for a few minutes, whispering to each other then my sister and her 3 friends started slowly walking towards it. As they got closer it became clearer and clearer that it was a ghost of a young girl in 19th century clothing, they slowly recognized the details and folds in her dress and hair as she was twirling her arms and spinning. They just stared at the figure, silently smiling in awe. They were not threatened at all she was not aggressive in the least; they always tell me how amazing it was I am still so jealous. My brother and his friend started approaching it slowly as well by the hand gestures of the others.

Next to the Ghost there was a old big tree and they noticed the dirt around it was being flown up in the air and they started hearing this strange growling sort of noise (like a dying animal) coming from that direction. Something started to form there. It slowly took the shape of a humanoid on all fours and was appearing in and out of focus. The girl ghost had disappeared. For some strange reason it seemed to be digging in the ground very frantically almost like trying to find something that was buried under the tree. They were happy the séance worked until now. As the 2 boys cautiously crept up to them before seeing what it was the strange ghost had stopped and everything went quiet. Suddenly it looked straight up at them and saw them as some sort of threat. With no warning it started to crawl and float towards them very aggressively while making a screeching sound, on this path it disappeared and then reappeared getting closer as it did! I would imagine tears forming in their eyes as their version of reality was bending (never a nice feeling).

I told them that they should have stayed to see what it wanted. They replied by saying things like, no way! This thing definitely wanted to hurt us, we all started feeling tremendous fear and there was no way we would have stayed any longer. As they ran out (excited yet terrified) my brother was the only one to look back and he said it was still chasing them while the other girl ghost reappeared in the same spot.

Well, they did not go back for months after that, the images were still too vivid (personally I would have gone back to check it out the same night, along with a lot of other things...

When they did call Mum to pick them up they explained everything they saw to us when they got home. At first I did not believe them then I got a look at my Brothers face. It was so pale white it was almost like there was no blood in his head at all and they all had terrified looks on their faces. When they were telling me all this they held back tears yet they were really excited at the same time. I had no other choice but to believe them. Often it crosses my mind that the ghost of the young girl was luring them closer to the evil looking ghost... But why?

One year later they went again and this time I went with them, it was not half as successful though. I did after the séance walk around by myself for a few minutes. I felt very uneasy and threatened for no reason at that moment I remember vividly seeing something white and ghostly float over my head for about 3 seconds. Walking away from that area I stayed about 10 meters away from everybody else looking around the graveyard for anything interesting but saw nothing. After about five minutes later, I swear I saw something unfocused that caught my eye; it was wobbling and flickering like a pale green flame. It was around the same area that the ghost of the young girl was last year. It was so captivating and hypnotic.

I looked at it with a smile for about 30 seconds then walked to the others and said I think there is something over there so we walked towards it. I thought finally I can have this experience but sadly it didn't last that long. As we approached it, it slowly seemed to be different. Surprisingly all that was there was an old tall gravestone, just a gravestone, we felt silly. We all stayed there for about 15 minutes and didn't see anything only heard the odd noises from inside the church like someone was moving heavy objects.

When we walked home everybody was saying things like "well that was a dud" I felt angry and upset. To this day I still wonder what I saw. It couldn't be just a grave stone they don't fade in and out, glow, move or change shape. I believe it was a ghost.

Sometimes I drive down to the cemetery just to take pictures hoping to catch something interesting. Out of the 58 I have taken there is only 1 picture of a ghost. I have had more experiences but that's for another time.

Thank you for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, HassaniSabbah, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

enchantedstar (1 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-22)
i would like to see the picture because I take a photography class for 4-H and FFA and I can see anything that is out of place or different
Hassanisabah2 (6 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-20)
If you have never taken a photo of a ghost or have had little paranormal experience of course you would say this is fake, but for all the people who have taken a random photo to have something come up you can consider this as real I have done the exact same thing here.
I was trying to tell someone about this ghost picture that I took on Creepy pasta and I left the link there, it has nothing to do with the website itself though I know most of their stories are made up.
Here is a photo of the same place but a day after and the original photo.
Http://s296.photobucket.com/user/harosing4/library/?sort=3&page=1
I hope the link works this time.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-07)
Hannah, that link to the picture on Flickr does not even work. 😐
Hassanisabah2 (6 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-06)
well I guess I could leave a link to a site that would be taken more seriously.
Https://www.flickr.com/photos/131575945 [at] N02/
Hassanisabah2 (6 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-06)
*shadow brocker* It has nothing to do with creepypasta though I just posted it there because it is really easy to. You can draw your own conclusions once you have looked at it close up.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-09)
Dear Hassani,
This is your first submission😁so welcome to YGS, but please do not make it short-lived🤔

That is an older gentleman at leisure, and I am in respectful agreement with Rook.

Do care to elucidate.

Regards
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-09)
Hassan,

To me that is not a Ghost... It is a older gentleman sitting on a bench with his right leg crossed over his left knee. It looks a bit odd because the way he is sitting presents as a three quarters profile view of him...

Looks pretty much alive to me. Thanks for playing. Do you have any other pictures?

Respectfully,

Rook
The_Shadow_Broker (6 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-09)
Creepypasta really? Do you really expect me to take this story seriously when you link to a site known for its works of fiction?

Shadow Broker out.
Hassanisabah2 (6 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-03-09)
The photo that I had mentioned in this story can be seen here http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/File:Ghost_picture.jpg
On the chair, if you look for a while you can see it is sitting on the long chair in quite a strange way, the figure is not sitting on a chair as a normal person would I think it is a very interesting ghost picture.
Bump (4 stories) (10 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-02-21)
I don't want to cause any arguments but while Canberra is haunted I wouldn't say it's the most haunted place in Australia. Honestly the most haunted place is the Monty Cristo Homestead in Junee. As for town I would say Kapunda and second Picton though Camberra is up there.
ghosthunter9876 (67 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2013-01-14)
Never play around with things that are completely out of a humans control at any given time and the humanoid on all fours that your brother and sister and his friends saw was a demon. They were lucky to get away without a scratch on them and without that thing following them home. All I can say is God was looking after them that day.
HassaniSabbah (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-12)
Thankyou. Well, I am really bad with computers and have tried so hard to send the picture to different websites but their is this error that keeps coming up saying "The host SMTP could not be found"? Does any one know of any other way I could put it on the web?
Rozo (3 stories) (108 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-11)
Cool Story! What a bummer that you werent there to witness what they did... But it just maybe means you werent supposed to... And that you might be witness to something just as awesome as that!...

Now... Onto more serious business 😆 where is this photo of the ghost you have! Would love to see it!

Thanks for sharing!

Rozo

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: