You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Permanent Resident

Real Ghost Stories

Permanent Resident

 

Here's my story: Last year I moved into a new house and after the first week I started hearing footsteps when I was home alone. My roommate and my boyfriend just thought I was crazy. They even told me so, but it became more constant. I always heard it in the room above mine. It was an empty room that we never really found a reason to use.

My boyfriend and I broke up shortly after moving into the house and he left, leaving me and our roommate alone with the house. A few weeks pass by and I am out late and when I come home my roommate is sitting in the garage smoking a cigarette. He looks frazzled and he tells me, 'You're not crazy.' I gave him a confused look and he told me what happened. He was in his bathroom upstairs and he heard footsteps in the hall and a strange fluttering sound. It scared him so bad that he ran outside and waited for me to get home.

I am going to try to describe my house so you can get a sense of what I am about to tell you. When you come through the front door you enter the living room (we put my dog's crate in the living room right inside this doorway). To the left is the stairs and straight ahead is a small doorway that takes you to the kitchen. To the left of that is a short, short hallway that T's off. To the left is my bedroom and to the right is the half bath.

So, few weeks later I brought a date home and we were walking from my bedroom to the back door to let my dog in. As we passed the living room I got a step past the doorway when my brain finally registered that I had saw something move in his crate. I stepped back to peer into the cage thinking that perhaps my roommate brought my dog in. But when I looked there was nothing there. I couldn't look away because I knew I saw something. That was when my date (who was behind me) said, "You saw that too, didn't you?" I was a little unnerved. I probably would have chalked it up to my imagination if he hadn't seen it as well. I didn't see it again for a few weeks after that. The footsteps never stopped though.

Then one night, my roommate and I were outside talking when I hear this piercing shriek. I stood and said, "That sounds like a bat." He was loud and like he was trapped in a tree. My roommate confirmed what I had thought and about that time my dog started barking incessantly at what I figured was nothing. I moved to the side of the deck that let me see into the huge side yard, what I saw scared me. There in the middle of the yard was a white flutter. It reminded me of a bird with a broken wing trying to take flight. I saw it for a split second before a car came by and the thing disappeared into its headlights. At the same time the car went by my dog and the bat fell silent.

The footsteps never stopped.

Weeks go by and I begin planning a Halloween party, the unexplainable sounds become quiet. I only heard the footsteps occasionally (maybe once a week). It was kind of peaceful. Until a week or two before the party. My roommate meets me at my job for dinner and afterward he goes to Goodwill and I go home. The first thing I did when I got home was go to my bathroom to change out of my work clothes. While in there (my bathroom door was shut) I heard whistling right outside of the door. It was so close that it scared me. After about a minute of pure panic, I came to the conclusion that it was just my roommate. However; when I opened the bathroom door there was nothing there. I crept through my bedroom and slowly opened my bedroom door only to find nothing.

I am getting a little freaked out by this point and I decided to check and see if his car was in the garage. It wasn't, I was definitely home alone. I did my best to push the incident aside and get busy decorating for the party. It wasn't until my roommate came home did I find out that he couldn't whistle anyway. Later that night, I went out on the back deck to smoke when again I heard the whistle. This time it was right behind me. I whipped around and nothing was there. I think that is when he decided to move into my room and take up permanent residence.

My nephew has heard the footsteps and just this Saturday, he came running into the garage and asked me if I came into the house. I told him no and asked him why and that's when he told me that heard someone walking through the house.

Let's go back a few weeks. I adopted a kitty and brought him home. I set up his litter box in my bathroom and his food in water bowls are in my bedroom. When I'm sleeping or not at home I keep him locked in there. The first night there, he would walk through my room staring at the ceiling. There are a few places that pique his interest. One is the corner where my bathroom door is and the other is on the side of the bed I sleep. Saturday, he lay on my side of the bed and stared and didn't even move when I entered the room (which is unusual for him). I went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth, the cat didn't budge. I called his name and he still didn't budge, it wasn't until I exited the room did he move from his spot and follow me to the next room. From what my nephew told me he was in the same spot when he went into my room to dry his hair, before I even went in there. So for approximately 20 minutes that cat laid on my bed and stared at the ceiling.

Now, to the part I just realized yesterday. My room is always the coldest room in the house. It's usually 3-5 degrees colder than the rest of the house. That could be 1 of 2 things. 1) the spirit truly does live in my bedroom, or 2) my vents are clogged. Either way, it's pretty chilly in my room.

With all of that said, here is my concern. I know there are different types of ghosts and spirits that roam the earth and they are usually attached to something or someone; however, what could it be attached to? I live in Winder, GA (I probably should have mentioned that earlier) which has a rich history for paranormal events because of the Creek Indian tribe that used to control the area, but other than the land, I am not sure what the spirit is attached to.

Is it possible for a spirit to reattach itself to something else, say a person? I think I will miss him when I move next month, but I don't know if I like him enough for him to tag along. He probably won't, but what are the chances he could?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, pookeybug2235, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

pookeybug2235 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-20)
Shlain,

Thank you for your comment. I have not had a chance to have the vents checked yet, so the temp is still debatable.

They funny thing about my pets is the fact that my dog hasn't started acting strangely to rooms or items until recently. He's usually, not allowed in my room like the cat. But last week he refused to go into the kitchen. He would sit on the stairs and stare into the kitchen and bark then he went to the threshold and barked, but would not go in there. Other than what I saw in the side yard this was the only indication he has seen whatever it is in my house. As for the cat, no, there was nothing on wall or ceiling to get his attention. A few times ill sit with him and try to see what he is seeing.

Someone else told me the other day that I might be sensitive to them, but I'm not sure. This is the first time I have had a lot of events like this.

Thanks,
Pookeybug
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-19)
Pookybug,

Firstly, ALWAYS trust your pets. They're a great indication of something paranormal being present. I take it you didn't see any bugs on the wall or ceiling that could have drawn your cat's attention?

Secondly, I'm glad you also seem to be a very rational person and consider the possibility that it might simply be something very normal causing the drops in temperature in your room. Were you able to have your vents checked out?

What you saw in your dog's crate could very well have been the spirit of another animal trying to make itself home. Its happened to me before that I've seen a deceased pet of mine make itself cosy in my current cats basket. If you didn't get a bad feeling from this then don't worry too much about it.

You yourself mentioned that the land you live on is rich in paranormal history so it is my belief that it's the land that's haunted rather than your home. This also sounds like an intelligent entity that has attached itself to you for a reason. Perhaps it is, because you're more succeptable to activity.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Shlain ❤
pookeybug2235 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-17)
Rook,

Thank you. That helps a lot. I just hope it's not a premonition of events to come.

Thank you,
Pookeybug
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-17)
Pookybug,

You can think of an imprint as a recording.

There is a theory that a repetitive action or violent/high emotional event can become 'imprinted' or 'recorded' onto the environment. Its the principle of a Residual Haunting. In some cases 'play back' has started before the individual/animal has 'moved on'. It's what some of us here on YGS call a 'Living Residual Haunting'.

I hope that helps.

Respectfully,

Rook
pookeybug2235 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-16)
Thank you for your comment! What exactly is an 'imprint'? I don't think I've ever heard if this.

I'm kind of torn about him coming with me or staying here. My nephew is all for him movin with us. I really do think ill miss him and all the excitement he puts in my life, it's just an eerie feeling knowing someone is watching me. Benevolent or not, I'm still not sure about it.

I did forget to mention something in my story. One night, my nephew and I were goin out back and we saw one random footprint on my back deck. It hadn't rained in weeks but it looked like a wet footprint. By morning it was gone. I have a picture, but I'm unsure on how to post it.

Thanks,
Pookeybug2235
MsWrestlersGhost (guest)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-16)
Pookybug:
Wow your house sure does have a lot of activity. I do really like this story. Its very interesting. Seems like the ghost that was just footsteps upstairs got lonely and came down to your room.
It was whistling I'm guessing to try to get your attention... It seems to like your new kitty... Congrates for rescuing him by the way...

Whoever this ghost is, he/she seems like a fairly harmless type. It seems to like keeping an eye on the goings on in the house. And like I said, seems to like you. I think its great.

The thing you saw in your dog's crate could have been an imprint of your living dog, because he/she is often in there, its left an imprint in the crate. Again not much to worry about.

Im guessing you'll miss your ghostly pal when you move house... You could try asking him to come along if you like him that much... He may be able too if he attatches himself to something of yours... No harm in asking anyway.

Kind Regards,
MsWrestlersGhost.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: